The 6th Annual Lux Castle Tournament

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:10 pm

paranoiarodeo wrote:Why am I awake before noon? Ugh.

∞ paranoiarodeo chews on some coffee beans ∞
Uhhhh....Those aren't coffee beans

∞ n00less cluebie wonders who let WabbitofDoom out of her cage.... ∞

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous
Location: Habitual board flippers should have their dice taken away.

Post by WhirlPlaid » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:30 pm

w00t!

JGRNAUT!!

Thanks for helping out team fire.

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous

Post by WhirlPlaid » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:18 am

I have cleared my schedule for tomorrow. I will be there either to play or cheerlead for fire for all three games.

Go fire!

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:44 am

I cant make it tonight for the finals (3EST). Will the finals be played over 2 days or not?

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:06 pm

Yes, PJB. The finals will be divided into two days of games. Today, we will begin with all six teams playing. After each game, the lowest ranked team will be eliminated from the tournament. In other words, the second game will be played by five teams, and the third game will be played by four. What is at stake today? In game one, Water and Virtue will be battling to avoid last place. The numbers are very close, and either could win. In games two and three, Air and Earth will be struggling to determine who will finish third overall, and advance to the final, final day. I know some people think Bane must be targeted at all times, and at all costs, but that's simply not true. In fact, if anything, Air and Earth should be most worried about one another today. Mathematically, first place overall is still up for grabs, and will be determined by the 2v2v2 and 3v3 games. The only question is who will join Bane and Fire for the chance to win the tournament. Good luck all!

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:10 pm

well, I'll be there today. Sorry I missed Friday team, I hope we at least showed up... Hey, good luck today guys, hope to see you there!

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:22 pm

Also, I updated the rankings page with a second team table, using absolute (total) numbers, so you can see exactly how close things are. Funnily enough, you can see why Earth is in third place right now: 'cause they never live long enough to accumulate time penalties! Heh. Just kidding, fellas.

engie
Lux Dynamo

Post by engie » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:27 pm

I retract my earlier statement about how I didn't want my prize.

I do indeed want my top individual performer prize, as long as I win! :)
Last edited by engie on Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:45 pm

Hey rest of team,
when I said I would come to today's game, I didn't mean that I'd be the only one there. There's no way I could play all three games on this map. Hurry up, will ya guys?

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:52 pm

Sorry for the troubles today, folks. I never woulda imagined that headless hosts couldn't play four or five player games like the "headed" Lux app does. Normally, you can just turn a player off, like flipping a switch, and that's that, you know? Oh geez. What a headache. Anyways, I'll need to manually update the scores for the second game today. I'm gonna go do that right now, and post the revised numbers ASAP. Also, Bane, Fire, Earth and Air will have to play their remaining game another day. Since more of us on those teams are North American, I'd like to suggest 8pm EST Monday. Any objections? If so, please suggest an alternative.

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:55 pm

um... 8 is... 8 might not be good... if it's only one game, then maybe. Either way, it would be nice if another earth member would show up...

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:56 pm

And just to show you all how buggy this stuff is: LINK.

(A non-existent Defender bot finished second. Kinda nifty, huh?)

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:57 pm

Yes, kude, it would only be one game, which is why I suggested the later time.

Milltycoon
Bagels with Lux

Post by Milltycoon » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Thanks, Para, for this extra work. It is not lost on us that you are a substitute host and that there are a lot of numbers to fix so that players like me can whine about 300ths of a point.

As always, thank you and good luck in resolving any technical issues.

luiz zenni
Luxer

Post by luiz zenni » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:30 pm

Today our team " WATER" was eliminated. Now they are the good memories of my first tournament. Good games with great players. I record my congratulations to the effort of " PARA" to keep the tournament, then the output of " SNYPER" due to personal problems. I will follow through, and let the best win. Congratulations to all teams EARTH, AIR, FIRE, VIRTUE, BANE and WATER. :beers :clap:

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Scores updated. Earth holds a 2.6 point lead over Air going into tomorrow's game. Put simply, last year's championship defending team is gonna have to put their best player forward, and hope he can bring home no worse than second, ideally with one kill, assuming no time penalties. That would nose them ahead of Earth, even if they finished third. I'm sure you all can work through the possible scenarios in your head overnight. Good luck!

Deep Blue
Lux Addict

Post by Deep Blue » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:37 am

I apologize for not being able to bee there sunday. I had more urgent matters at hand and coulldn't get away from them. Hope I didn't let you guys down. :(

sorry.

deep

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:40 pm

um... I have dinner, but really, what's the point? Not like any of my other teammates will show up. They rarely. do. Why show up if they won't? Whatever. Night all. Best of luck in getting one of my teammates to show up.

*Manimal
Lux Cutie Pet

Post by *Manimal » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:23 am

kude wrote:um... I have dinner, but really, what's the point? Not like any of my other teammates will show up. They rarely. do. Why show up if they won't? Whatever. Night all. Best of luck in getting one of my teammates to show up.

Please actually count how many games everyone on earth has played before being a dick about it.

kude - 12
Snype - 11
Mara - 9
Me - 8
PJB -7
Cardano - 5 (due to time zone problems)

Other than Cardano it's pretty fucking balanced. If anyone should be complaining it's shock or george, who've put up 18 games each.

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:39 am

I'm saying you guys also have seen the post. Mara hasn't even showed up in the past two weeks. You showed up for, what, one game the first night, and two more? Most of your games are just clustered into two nights. I get CARDANO's problem. But mara is just gone, and nobody else bothers to show up to most of the games.

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous

Post by WhirlPlaid » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:34 pm

I believe there are still three teams left in the tourney.

A few questions:

When is the 2 v 2 v 2 game, which will decide the final two teams?

Once the final two teams are determined, does the winner of the final game win the tourney or is it still based on the final points for team averages?

When will the final game be played?

Sorry for being a little slow... I am just trying to keep my forum presence in par with my Castle performance.

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:20 pm

I know I won't be available until maybe saturday afternoon or sunday afternoon. Even then i'm not sure right now.

*Manimal
Lux Cutie Pet

Post by *Manimal » Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:13 pm

I showed up on three different days, including playing a lonnnnnggg day of Last King when nobody else was around.

I also took over for 3 teammates when they had to go, I think I did that once for you too.

Just don't be so snappy.

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:02 pm

no, you didn't. I haven't left once. And I've missed exactly three days. I at least try to show up most days. You said you wanted kings, so we gave em to you. But it's not just you. Mara disappeared, and I haven't heard much from PJB either.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:19 pm

(Writing my update now. Posting soon.)

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous

Post by WhirlPlaid » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:39 pm

Kude.... Its officially history.... its in the past .... stop whining and let it go.

Milltycoon
Bagels with Lux

Post by Milltycoon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:44 pm

There were only a few of us in the room last night. Here were some of our observations and conclusions.

Regardless of whether Earth or Air advance to the would-be 2x2x2 semi-finals, neither can mathematically catch Fire for 2nd place. Barring an obscenity tirade from Fire, there aren't enough available points under any scenario, including with time penalties, etc. So Bane and Fire have "clinched" the top two spots. Furthermore, if we moved immediately to a 3x3 finals between Fire and Bane, Bane has clinched the championship. (Fire cannot catch them.) So we may be forced to do a couple of things to keep the tournament from petering out into nothing.

Para (or Drifter?) proposed that Earth and Air have a single 3x3 match for 3rd place at our convenience (hopefully before Sunday). This would settle which team won the Bronze castle and 3rd place bragging rights, and we wouldn't hold up the Finals. I am very much in favor of this idea.

I proposed that after Air and Earth step away with 3rd and 4th place (we mathematically can't go any higher) Fire and Bane have two 3x3 games to settle the title. This is done so that Fire has a chance to catch up (they would have had a chance at the points from the 3rd and 4th place matches that we'd be cancelling). Essentially, Bane would have to outscore (or tie) Fire in 1 of 2 of the 3x3 games to win the title, and Fire would have to outscore Bane in both for them to upset Bane. Seems like a pretty fair solution.

The only other solutions that are fair would be to hand Bane the championship now, or to continue with Snyper's schedule. In this case, that would mean the 3rd and 4th place teams were playing only to target each other, that whoever survives is playing in the 2x2x2 match for nothing, and that Fire would have to asshat everyone but Bane in order to stay alive. These seem like they aren't as satisfying an ending as we could have.

Milltycoon
Bagels with Lux

Post by Milltycoon » Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:46 pm

Oh. I didn't realize Para was typing up his update. I ...possibly retract everything I just said, and defer to Para's host-dom.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:36 pm

Before I say anything else, I'd just like to remind everyone that I joined this tournament as a player. Although I offered to help Snype with some of the Lux hosting and rankings stuff, I never considered myself part of the tourney management. Furthermore, I have and never will participate in any tournament I chose to manage. Too many possible conflicts of interest, too many chances of upsetting other players. Just a credibility thing, in my opinion. I'm not sure why other tourney hosts would wanna play in their own events, but that's their decision to make. Not my cuppa tea, but so be it. It is what it is.

I've tried my best to see this tourney through to its conclusion as Snype intended, following the same traditions he's used in past years. His map, his rules. Ideally, this woulda been a simple process. Sunday, we woulda played three games, eliminating one team after each game, until we had our final three contenders for 2v2v2 and 3v3 games to be played today. Again, ideally, all teams would have shown up, been enthusiastic and polite. The games woulda been quick and fun. No clumsy targeting for meta-strategic reasons. No unhappiness about being mathematically eliminated. We just woulda stuck to the original format, and let everything unfold naturally. A pleasant conclusion to a long, long month of gaming.

(Do you know how much time we've all spent alive in games? 224 hours. Including teammates lurking and coaching? Probably 600 hours.)

Unfortunately, that didn't happen. First game marathoned for two and a half hours. kude got stuck alone, without older and wiser teammates to guide him, so players from other teams, myself included, got into a tug of war trying to influence his decisions. Second game was delayed for technical reasons, so I could work around an unforeseen host bug. Third game was rescheduled, 'cause it was late for everyone, but kude in particular. Oh well, Lux goes on. But then there was yesterday. One team didn't show, while some other players decided to vocally protest that an hour of their lives had been wasted, or that they'd signed up for a January tournament and thus refused to play any future games. There was an accusation that I was basing my decisions on the teams and individuals involved. In other words, I might have been saying different things had Earth been in fourth instead of Air.

(Needless to say, I never signed up for that sorta bullshit. Sooo, Thanks.)

Please remember: These finals aren't playoffs, where teams begin again, and all have a chance of capturing the championship title. These finals are more akin to the last few stages of the Tour de France, where the results are predetermined in most respects by the long grind before. Of course, there can be some intrigue, if the stars align, and there's just enough wiggle room given earlier scores, but more often than not, there won't be. As Millty alluded to above, Bane and Fire have locked up first and second. Earth and Air, either one, would simply be going through the motions in any 2v2v2 game, but unfortunately, such a game would be necessary, 'cause if we skip any remaining games, then it becomes mathematically impossible for Fire to surpass Bane.

Now what? I feel like I'm stuck trying to split the proverbial baby. I don't want this tournament to sputter towards a miserable conclusion, dragging on with no clear end in sight, while people become grumpier and more disillusioned. I wanna keep things fair for everyone involved, and keep as many people happy as possible, while avoiding any further complaints or accusations. Therefore, after talking with Drifter and Mazza last night, and sleeping on things long enough to better consider all options, I've decided to change course. Again, I don't like doing this, and I wish I didn't have to, but I worry that rigidly adhering to Snype's original intent is only gonna ruin an otherwise good month.

First, I am assessing Earth a penalty equal to one game unplayed under the required minimum. I haven't updated the leaderboard, but this will effectively drop them back into fourth place with 204.9 total points, just 1.3 points behind Air. Speaking as tourney master, that concludes both Earth and Air's tournaments. Officially, I don't care if you don't play another game. That's that. Congratulations. But, on a more personal note, I must say this: Seeing third and fourth decided on a technicality, after so much time invested by all parties, makes me ill. If I were Earth, I'd be embarrassed for giving up before the end. If I were Air, I'd feel like my bronze medal was cheapened by avoidable circumstances.

Second, if Earth and Air mutually agree, then they can play one 2v2 or 3v3 game to decide third place in a more honorable way. However, I will not organize this game. They will have to communicate with one another, either here publicly or via forum PM, and decide when to play. They must notify me of a date and time by Thursday 8pm EST. If this deadline is missed, the current results stand. The game must be scheduled to begin by Sunday 8pm EST. I will host and officiate. There will be a fifteen minute grace period after the scheduled start. If either team is late, they forfeit third place.

(If both teams are late, dammit, then I'll give Virtue third.)

Third, Bane and Fire should play two 3v3 games to determine this year's champion. I will also accept three 2v2 games, but only if team captains agree that it's impossible to schedule 3v3 games. Mazza and Whirly or Drifter are responsible for picking the format and time. Again, they must notify me of a date and time by Thursday 8pm EST. If this deadline is missed, the current results stand. These games must be played by next Tuesday 8pm EST. Same grace period and forfeit rules apply.

(Two 3v3 or three 2v2 games roughly equal the same possible point swing as the original remaining finals schedule in whole.)

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please speak up.

Micella
Luxer

Post by Micella » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:56 pm

And THEN you host my Team Games, right?

please please please please please .... are we there yet? Are we? Huh? Are we?