User Specified Fixed Card Set Values and percentages

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
nasetheace
Lux Newbie

User Specified Fixed Card Set Values and percentages

Post by nasetheace » Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:06 pm

Would it be possible to let the user set the value of fixed card sets in the game options? Right now, the only fixed option is 5, 5, 5 ...
Could we let the user specify any arbitrary value? I'm playing around with balancing continent bonuses and card set values. Continents going up at 10% per round and card sets at 4,5,6,7,8... seems to be a really fun game on the classic map with 6 players, with cards slightly outpacing the continent values over the long run for the average game. Continent bonuses at 15% seems to outpace the cards after awhile. It occurred to me that it would be easier to balance if they were both fixed, but cards at 5,5,5,5 seems to render cards pretty much irrelevant, even with fixed continent bonuses.

In an ideal world, it would be nice to let the user specify an arithmetic function in ASCII text for card and continent bonus increases. But, having a simple user input field for fixed values and percentage increases would be a big improvement too.

Thanks for a great game! I've been playing LUX for at least 12 years now, and it never seems to get old. :)

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Re: User Specified Fixed Card Set Values and percentages

Post by GFips » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:20 am

Hi nasetheace,

thank you for the thoughts. It will be difficult to let the user decide about the settings (with 6 Players in a FH game probably 6 different setting wanted), but you can always host your own games and set the setting you want (within the given Options).
The settings in the sillyosoft hosts are the ones, which became popular over the years (they seem to be balanced, but do not tend to marathon too much), but feel free to promote your own host with your own settings. That is one of the benefits of Lux Deluxe, that there are so many options and variants possible (maps and settings).I encourage everybody to host there own games.

By the way: from time to time there is a "winner-icks" room (to see at the ending -WP in the sillysoft host name). There the winner can at least decide which map will be played next ...

Keep on luxing!