Reporting abuse by noobs.

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Reporting abuse by noobs.

Post by Bean » Sun May 19, 2019 1:07 pm

This report came in and was ironic considering the treatment the accused received just in the part of the chat quoted in the report. Called a idiot twice and an asshat, then reported. sigh

RogueMonk report elvinho for profanity and creating a negative environment.
1 Game Description: A classier form of BioDeux - More strategy required - Welcome - Online Rules 1
‰ Toxik9: Rogue, can you leave eu?
‰ Toxik9: elvin, I cleared out eu for you
‰ Toxik9: hopeful that ME can hold
‰ Toxik9: I've got contacts in France . . .
‰ Toxik9: fucker
‰ Toxik9: thats what I get for being a nice guy
‰ Toxik9: later guys . . . someone enjoy my card
‰ landlord: later
‰ RogueMonk: just read
‰ RogueMonk: sorry
‰ Toxik9: a gift for hugo
‰ Toxik9: or rogue
1 Toxik9 was eliminated by RogueMonk in round 4 1
‰ RogueMonk: gg
1 Toxik9 has exited 1
1 RogueMonk ran out of turn time! 1
1 El Aurens has joined 1
‰ landlord: idiot
‰ Hugo: WTF
‰ Hugo: ARE YOU COMPLETE IDIOTIC?!?
1 elvinho was eliminated by doit4johnny in round 8 1
1 Hugo was eliminated by doit4johnny in round 8 1
‰ landlord: gg
Hugo: thx dt
1 landlord was eliminated by doit4johnny in round 8 1
landlord: dt?
Hugo: dj
1 doit4johnny ran out of turn time! 1
‰ RogueMonk: gg
1 RogueMonk has turned on guest only mode and is not available to play in games 1
1 RogueMonk was eliminated by doit4johnny in round 9 1
1 Player Hugo has been moved to the bottom of the player list 1
1 Player elvinho has been moved to the bottom of the player list 1
RogueMonk: elvinho - stop asshating....it won't help you win any games

RogueMonk: elvinho - stop asshating....it won't help you win any games
‰ elvinho: shut the fuck u lowlife

landlord
Lux Demon

Re: Reporting abuse by noobs.

Post by landlord » Tue May 21, 2019 7:41 pm

I was in the room at the time monk was right 100%

Maybe you try to get back to him on what he wrote earlier

landlord
Lux Demon

Post by landlord » Tue May 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Re: Week 5.1: Epoch
Post by RogueMonk » Tue May 07, 2019 8:23 am

Bean wrote: ↑Tue May 07, 2019 7:36 am
have fun
You have squashed about the only fun left here. Your experiment has been a net loss. Please give up on it, and return rankings to the way they have been.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Tue May 21, 2019 9:54 pm

He may have been right, but you could enhance your claim with some evidence. The report shows YOU calling another player an idiot. It shows Hugo calling someone idiotic. It shows Rogue calling him an asshat. It is likely the person, if truly new, has no idea the definition of asshat. I find it ironic; that's all. I certainly don't know what else I can do with that report. Shows a bunch of name calling. A lot of reports are like that. Competent communication is hard, since it relies on someone actually listening, but actual name calling is not effective in any world about which I am aware.

Not sure what you mean about Rogue's earlier missive. You think I have some obligation or interest to make sense of it? I don't even know what he means by experiment. I never tried any experiment to see if bio bans would appreciate losing the monopoly on the ranking system. Of course you don't. By all means, keep it up and Bio will win out and save Lux with fun.. Any promotion of bio or advocacy on its behalf will not come from me. I don't care for it, nor think it has promise. Keep in mind, also, that I think Lux has serious bullying and trolling problems, some of which are embodied in some bio players. I would not object to it having its own weekly rank if you all need that for your "fun." I won't be a change agent on its behalf. It's hard to change things, so I work on things I care about. You can do. Oh the places you'll go!

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 pm

Oh wait! Do you guys think I just have a ton of power!? lol. I advocated for a reform of the ranking system, since it allowed for a single map to gain a monopoly on Lux. I like that little bit of progress. Might not make a difference in a dying game. Might do in a year or two. Who knows? It's not a marketing program. It was a simple intervention for integrity in design of a ranking system.

I am talking over a money tournament with some folks, something where a few donate prize money for a monthly or series of the weeklies and the winner gets to support a charity of his/her choice. It's a little bit of a stretch so far, so may not happen, but it's what I am working on in Lux. As I said, I won't be working on supporting bio deux. You can do that, you and all the other fun lovers in there.

landlord
Lux Demon

Post by landlord » Wed May 22, 2019 11:49 am

I just wish we can more mods as GF

landlord
Lux Demon

Post by landlord » Wed May 22, 2019 3:40 pm

*more

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Wed May 22, 2019 6:23 pm

*have

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Wed May 22, 2019 6:37 pm

I think the point is reporting newbs.
I remember this guy who played 12 games and was completely cursed out by two veterans who played more than 30.000 games together.
No consideration that they are playing newbs, that guy never returned btw.

Not sure what happend with elvinho in this game.

landlord
Lux Demon

Post by landlord » Thu May 23, 2019 1:11 pm

its not about elvinio its more of how Bean presenting it to us

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Thu May 23, 2019 6:46 pm

lol. it was my post, so you are objecting to my characterization of the report. It's okay for you to do that, but I don't feel any moral hazard here. Yes, you feel contempt for me and sometimes rogue might too. It's honestly not important to me in my life any more than my opinion is important to you in yours. As you might saw, Landlord, "Poor play!"

landlord
Lux Demon

Post by landlord » Thu May 23, 2019 7:43 pm

Im replying to you not because i have respect or care about your voice i dont want other player to get the wrong impression from this post

RogueMonk
Lux Addict

Post by RogueMonk » Thu May 23, 2019 7:59 pm

Bean wrote:
Thu May 23, 2019 6:46 pm
and sometimes rogue might too
Why is this about me? I never posted in this post. Yet, you continue to mischaracterize me.

Even the original report that you quoted is a mischaracterization. It neglects to take into account the chat that went on before the quoted material, where elvinio was welcomed to the game, where "asshat" was defined for her/him after several asshaty plays, where it was explained that that kind of play was not an effective strategy for winning, and where elvinio responded to several good faith attempts to help her/him acclimatize to online lux with abusive words and behaviour.

And since I am responding to this thread now, posting an unabridged report is in bad taste. If you wished to use it as an object lesson, it should have been redacted.

And fwiw, this forum is not a debate class or competition. A more conciliatory and open tone would likely be more welcome, thought not really expected.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Fri May 24, 2019 7:58 am

It's not about you rogue. that quote was an offhand remark and I used the "sometimes... might" form to hedge it, knowing how much moral contempt you have in store for any perceived misuse of the sacred online communal space (e.g. complaining about someone when they can't defend themselves, posting a whole chat, etc.). It really is a thing of yours. I don't hate it, but I am aware of it and so made the comment. As an aside, I will admit of contempt for the "can't defend themselves" principle you have espoused. I hope you feel free to criticize me after I'm gone even though I won't be able to rebut. It won't affect me at all, just as it did not affect para back whenever that was. I also DO think your vision of the online communal space is seriously idealistic and flawed. Just my humble opinion though.

My point in this thread, apart from calling forth LL's underlying hate apparently, was to question the practice of reporting and the irony of blaming a noob for our own cultural flaws. Your point is valid that the other context in the chat might affect our impression of young noob. Frankly, I kind of doubt it, but that is beside the point. I am pretty sure Elvinho received an unfair treatment. Not the same as your other recent reports about JSW after hi lost his cool and went off.

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Sun May 26, 2019 7:59 am

Some ideas from my side (not addressing anyone personal, just as general thougts):

1) We all should be more "welcoming" to new players. New players do not have the experience and the knowledge long-term players have. They will make faults and maybe sometimes ruin others games. But instead of being aggressive versus them lets help them to get better (that DOES NOT mean, that new players have a free ride in bad behaving, but especially experienced players should play a role model here and help creating a friendly environment). We we all should give new players the feeling to be welcomed and we all should be more tolerant vs faults they make). If they start using bad language then tell them about the rules here and that they should stay friendly, but don't offend them yourself. If they still missbehave then report them. We will also warn them and suspend them when needed. We all want new players, so we should welcome them instead of scaring them. I remember back the time when I started: I often got smashed and used as easy victim in many games (not much fun), but there were also some players who motivated me and teached me how to play (they had a lot patience ...).

2) Don't take everything personal. In the the game there will always be actions you don't like or where there are different views of the situation. Not each "bad move" is asshating or targeting. Don't pay back without any chance of winning and move on instead. Even the best players do bad/wrong moves. Some players go more risk or play more aggressive (don't mix up targeting with aggressive play). The aim should always be to win. If you don't like a move feel free to discuss, but don't offend in chat or get rude. If a player plays aggressive then also play aggressive or protect your income better, but stay fair and friendly (just try to do it better than the other or in case of the cases avoid playing special players you cannot play friendly). If someone plays better than you then accept it and see it as motivation to learn.

3) Keep sending reporting if players missbehave. As you can see in the example above it is very difficult for mods to judge just out of the report alone. We can see only an outtake of the chat (we miss what happened prior) and we can only see the chat, but not any moves in the game. So it is difficult to see what happend exactly and who or how it started. In case of missbehavings let other wittnessing players confirm that in chat before sending the report so that we can better judge.
Don't expect each report to lead in consequences, don't send mass reports, but be sure we read the reports and take our notes even if do not comment each one. Mods are doing this voluntary, we are also humans, we are also not free of faults and we also have a life outside of lux, but be sure, that each of us try to do his best.

4) We all should stop making a drama out of everything. Constructive critics is fine and suggested improvements are always good and welcomed. Many things are not perfect here. But trolling around, global critics how bad everything is will not bring us any step forward, but just result in even more players leaving. Some things will never change, so accept what we have and enjoy some good games. Don't create general negative environments just because there are some things you do not like. This is still one of the best games i ever bought for less than 20$ and I still enjoy playing it.

5) There are not too many players left, but we all should not work against each other. It is the game we all love.

Just my two cents ...