New AI: Viking

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Tor
Lux Newbie

New AI: Viking

Post by Tor » Sat May 02, 2020 8:01 pm

Hey everyone, my friend Vor and I have recently finished a new Lux AI called Viking. It was just published in the plugin manager a couple days ago. We're both longtime Lux players, but haven't spent really any time with the community or playing online, so we're basically totally unfamiliar with what all goes on around here :hmm: So if Viking is missing some key feature that keeps it from playing the way you like to play the game, we want you all to let us know!

Anyway, Viking is decently smart, we think—better than Reaper on a lot of maps (at least in head-to-head matchups—I can post the stats we collected if you like). It teams with itself by default (this can be turned off in the chat window), but it doesn't have a way of assigning humans or other bots to teams yet, like Reaper does. It's something we'd like to add in the future.

So to keep this brief, we'd love to hear what you think, and suggestions are welcome! We want to give you guys a bot that's good enough that you'll actually want to play against it, so please give us your feedback!

And thanks to Dustin for helping us get it published!

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Re: New AI: Viking

Post by Dangerous Beans » Thu May 07, 2020 11:06 am

What is its playstyle?

Tor
Lux Newbie

Re: New AI: Viking

Post by Tor » Thu May 07, 2020 1:28 pm

It uses different strategies in different situations—it has a few different types of goals it can choose from in any given turn, and picks the ones it thinks will be most beneficial. Generally, it tries to take bonuses and keep enemies from getting bonuses, but on some maps/situations it relies more heavily on taking a lot of countries to build up its income and decrease its enemies'. If card sets are worth a lot, it will be more incentivized to take players out to get their cards, which obviously makes a big difference in the endgame when card increases are steep.

It also has a couple tricks up its sleeve; for instance, it can share borders with an ally to save on border costs, and it will push its borders out a few extra countries if that will decrease the number of borders it has to defend to get a bonus (the inner ring on the USS Lionhart map, for instance, is reduced from 27 borders to just 4 or 6, IIRC—an obvious shortcut for a human player, but something none of the other bots are capable of doing, to my knowledge).