Castle Lux

Lux maps won't make themselves.
Flex
Luxer

Castle Lux

Post by Flex » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:13 pm

I've been wondering how to make a map like this for a long time. I just hadn't figured out how.

Props to Mark

This map is one of my favorite maps, i must say it's extremely well made. Did you find it from another risk map or a game? Just wondering. Or did you make it yourself.

Excellent, this is a favorite.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:30 pm

Thank you very much Flex. I have to say that I am very proud of this one.

It was inspired by Preach's Hex maps. But other than that it is entirely my own creation. I just uploaded version 1.5 that include some pretty drastic changes, check it out and let me know what you think.

mbauer

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:37 pm

I am having alittle problem uploading the new theme files so make sure you get those once they are posted by Dustin. The new one has a lake and Mountains.

mbauer

ren
Luxer

Post by ren » Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:49 pm

why does it have to be six SONS?

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Fri Oct 22, 2004 8:23 am

ren wrote:why does it have to be six SONS?
It's a sad fact but back then they were sexist. :wink:

If you guys really want I will change it to 3 sons and 3 daughters. 8)

mbauer

Flex
Luxer

Post by Flex » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:07 am

lol,

wait so you created the map too? if so may I ask what app, ive been looking for a great simple app for some time now, but not much luck. I got a rpg map maker but overall is looked crappy.

it looks great

heres my thought though, I kind of liked the land one big continent, that way you wouldnt necesarily get giant bonuses. I liked it 3 pieces of land gets 1 army. The new way with the land as seperate continents I just don't like as much. just my thoughts. I think its too much of a bonus for land.
But a great map!

I have to go, adios

-Flex

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:57 am

I used Adobe Illustrator to get the geometric shapes to line up correctly and provide an outline. I then brought that image into Photoshop to assemble the trees, rivers, and castles in the optimal strategic spots. I then brought all of that into MapSpinner and simply went about the way the tutorial taught me way back when I was a newbie making Japan.

MapSpinner is in a free beta stage right now and it looks and works exactly like HtmlMap maker (which is now defunct) The company that makes MapSpinner bought the code from the now bankrupt htmlMap maker...maker. The problem is MapSpinner has a few annoying bugs, like some times it automatically completes a shape prematurely and does not register when you move a point after it's created. But I only use it to get the polygon coordinates anyway. Most of the work is done in Photoshop and BBedit (to assemble the code).

After playing a few very long games I noticed a lot of players reaching one of the bridges and then stoping and then procede to just build and build and build and build and build and build...you get the idea. So I thought that adding some extra sources of income might help prevent that a little. Also I had recieved some requests to break up the land. But I think I liked it better the original way also. Maybe I'll provide 2 versions, what do you think? The only real way to prevent the continuous build up is to play 4,6,8 cards or higher.

Also Tide had a great idea for the map. Negative values for the bridges, a sort of bridge tax. I was thinking -2 what do you guys think?

mbauer

el toro
Met Dustin

Post by el toro » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:29 pm

i was thinking about that this morning a bridge tax is a great idea.
but i'm thinking -5

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest
Location: Sweden (capital of Denmark, an island in Norway, southern Europe)

Post by Preacherman » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:29 pm

Absolutely awesome map MB, just saw it this morning and had a play...congratulations dude!

Flex
Luxer

Post by Flex » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:47 pm

Haha, now I need to make a good map, all mine are rated in the 3s, no one seemed to like the head aching (hehe) map 3d cube, but whatev.

Since a few people like Hawaii, I'm thinking of making the Galapagos Islands.

But mark, I must say it's way better with the country side as one continent, played the other one today and it seemed too somethingish. Not exactly sure...

But I am impressed, I like the looks of the trees, rivers, etc.. It just looked really clean, thought it was a premade map of some sort. Rock on!

I use illustrator and shit, but havnt really used it to make great maps, i used it to design 3d cube, but the theme's of my maps arent that great.

Preach, I like your emoticon, haha.

Flex
Luxer

Post by Flex » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:49 pm

Oh and for the bridges, they didn't bother me that much, but making them worth no value or -1 or -2 I think would be fair. It would be unfair to start with a bridge if it was -5.

On random pic you might get one two, three bridges and only get 3 income, this could screw you over the entire game.

Just my thoughts :^)

Sir Holo
Old Skool Lurker

Countryside

Post by Sir Holo » Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:09 pm

Great map!

Some of the bots get pretty stupid on Castle Original. They'd be better fill-ins for hmans if they could handle the map better. I think maybe because the countryside is worth so much, they end up trying to take over that continent. Especially Quo.

Could you make the countryside worth 0? That should fix the bot dumb-ness. I can't imagine anyone would ever actually take the whole countryside withouy already having an overwhelming strength, so it shouldn't interfere with human gameplay.

Oh, and I like the idea of a bridge tax, too. -1 or -2.

rob
Lux Addict

Post by rob » Sat Oct 30, 2004 5:20 pm

no taxes

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:03 pm

I made the countryside worth 0. I totally forgot about the bridge tax, I'll include that, sorry

mbauer

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Sat Oct 30, 2004 6:16 pm

There I added the "bridge tax." Right now it is set at -2 let me know if it is too much.

Thanks
mbauer

Kef
Lux Translator

Post by Kef » Sun Oct 31, 2004 6:26 am

can you make a compact version?

ai. no crap at the edge

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Sun Oct 31, 2004 8:51 am

crap?!? Wach ya talkin' about crap?! :D

but to answer your question, no, buy a bigger monitor punk. :lol:

mbauer

Kef
Lux Translator

Post by Kef » Sun Oct 31, 2004 9:08 am

15" is big

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:18 am

maybe in Belgium

Kef
Lux Translator

Post by Kef » Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:53 am

well, I have a iMac, so I'm pretty much stuck with my monitor anyway

Sir Holo
Old Skool Lurker

Post by Sir Holo » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:36 pm

The 0 countryside, and -2 bridge were a big improvement. Kudos!

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:00 am

Thanks dude, glad you like it. :smt039

mbauer

vonibot
Lux Addict

Post by vonibot » Fri Nov 05, 2004 5:40 pm

mbauer wrote:Thanks dude, glad you like it. :smt039

mbauer
I would like to see more castle maps ...

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Fri Nov 05, 2004 7:36 pm

what do you suggest

Sir Holo
Old Skool Lurker

suggestions welcome

Post by Sir Holo » Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:42 pm

mbauer wrote:what do you suggest
Since you ask...

A "Countryside 0" with more castles (or cities, forts, etc.). i.e., bigger and more!

And, on the theme of taxes, there is a ton of things that could be done with taxes and hourglass-shape choke points. Also with advantage locations. For example, think if the crown of Nusbaum's Throne map had been -5 or so.

Not very specific, I guess...

BTW, GG

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:15 pm

Bigger and more? So many have the opinion that it is too big already. <>mbauer looks angrily at Kef<>

I suppose I could do a version where I make the hexes and castles smaller to provide room for more of each but keep the same board size. Of course adding more choke points and strategic areas and a totally new terrain as well.

What do you think?

mbauer

vonibot
Lux Addict

Post by vonibot » Wed Nov 10, 2004 4:56 pm

mbauer wrote:Bigger and more? So many have the opinion that it is too big already. <>mbauer looks angrily at Kef<>

I suppose I could do a version where I make the hexes and castles smaller to provide room for more of each but keep the same board size. Of course adding more choke points and strategic areas and a totally new terrain as well.

What do you think?

mbauer
sounds good--I would like to see some castles with varied architecture

Sir Holo
Old Skool Lurker

More!

Post by Sir Holo » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:10 pm

Yeah, that. :P

It would probably be good, too, if the number of castles didn't match up with 6 (usual number of players), to make it harder to get a stable configuration.

The taxes on important control points are great. Maybe just one or two one-way borders, say from highlands to lowlands, with an appropriate tax on the point? Wish I knew how to help.

Point is, great map!

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Nov 11, 2004 1:06 am

I think the map is superb right now. I don't know if a bigger map would get as much play. Castle Lux is pretty big already, but it works well. Really small countries are a pain in the ass, especially when there are a bazillion of them.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:35 am

well who said anything about a "bazillion" :smt017...but good point Dustin.

I was thinking the castles would be the same size (but varied Architecture just so Voni will shaddup about it...jeez :wink: ) and the "countryside" spaces would be about half the size they are now, which would make them about the size, maybe a little bigger than the spaces in Preach's Hex maps. But then, so there isn't too many spaces, I would add more "terrain," i.e. forests, mountains, lakes, etc. which would thereby create more choke points. In addition I would include towns and villages that could be captured and provide small income.

I like the fact that there are exactly 6 castles because it is the same number of players. Ideally, each player should get 1 castle and then fight it out in the countryside. Maybe adding towns and villages worth income will curb the "too balanced" problem.

I really like the idea of one way passages and that is what I am incorporating into my US Civil War map, maybe I'll try and think of how I can incorporate it on this map as well.

thanks,
mbauer