More info for map format

Lux maps won't make themselves.
Frustrated
Luxer

More info for map format

Post by Frustrated » Mon Dec 06, 2004 3:59 pm

All the help files have been really useful in getting together my first map which is the best way I can think of saying thanks for the help files on map creation. What would help even more are some examples of colours for boundries and lines beyond the single examples given in the tutorials.

Also is it possible to have donut shapes in Lux? I was thinking in terms of accurately representing a tunnel coming up in the middle of an area.

I am currently trying to do themed maps for which tunnels and air routes are thematically inherant . This is so we can take Lux maps to a next generation by playing with topological difficulty, rather than having the static 2D (albeit pretty) patterns of most maps. Colditz was a start, next map Stalag Luft III with tom dick and harry and the wooden horse!

Graham

PS those of you who havn't noticed it, try out the Escape From Colditz map. Some fine tuning of the boundries to do. I have tried to make the map topologically hard so that it is not easy to visualise routes and boundries. This is to negate an inbuilt advantage Human players have (and why an expert should always beat an AI in a one on one) that our perceptual systems are natural pattern recognition and change detection systems. By not having contients in contiguous areas and by having connections unconstrained by 2D topography you can upset some of the visual rules of thumb people use. Continent rewards are kept low, because minimalist rewards also tests strategy and planning to the upmost.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Re: More info for map format

Post by mbauer » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:06 pm

Frustrated wrote:What would help even more are some examples of colours for boundries and lines beyond the single examples given in the tutorials.
I'm not sure what you mean by this statement could you elaborate? (I'm kinda known for asking dumb questions so if this is one please be understanding.:lol:)
Frustrated wrote: Also is it possible to have donut shapes in Lux? I was thinking in terms of accurately representing a tunnel coming up in the middle of an area.
Atlanta and Lux Rocks both have donut shapes in them. Currently you cannot create a donut shape without having a "seam" where the line doubles back upon itself.

mbauer

el toro
Met Dustin

Post by el toro » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:07 pm

what about a donut with sprinkles?

would that need a seem mb?

Frustrated
Luxer

Post by Frustrated » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:15 pm

what I mean are the colours in the continent or line tag
<color>1.0/0.0/0.0</color>
I have worked out that this is red. What are the others?

Thanks for the tip on the seam, although it is visible when you look for it, I hadn't noticed it whilst playing.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:15 pm

El Toro, it seams you are being sarcastic so cut it out before I throw a rock at you.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:19 pm

Frustrated wrote:what I mean are the colours in the continent or line tag
<color>1.0/0.0/0.0</color>
I have worked out that this is red. What are the others?

Thanks for the tip on the seam, although it is visible when you look for it, I hadn't noticed it whilst playing.
ahh yes the color. Preach helped me with that back when I was a wee lad.

the color is broken down into R(red)/G(green)/B(blue). So 1.0/1.0/1.0 would be white, 0.0/0.0/0.0/ would be black, 1.0/0.0/0.0 would be red (as you have found), 0.0/1.0/0.0 would be green, and 0.0/0.0/1.0 would be blue. They are bassed on a 256 color pallette.

Do you have photoshop?

mbauer

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:21 pm

Here is the thread that describes how to set color values in the code using Photoshop and BBedit

http://sillysoft.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=893&start=0

el toro
Met Dustin

Post by el toro » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:33 pm

mb, please DO NUT throw rocks.

hehehehehehehe