Submitting Maps

Lux maps won't make themselves.
eko

Submitting Maps

Post by eko » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:42 pm

Greetings,

I just discovered Lux and am trying out the Demo version. I downloaded it because I saw that you could create your own maps. Now, to be honest, $20 is a bit steep for me for something that I KNOW I am not really going to play very much (yea, yea, I know... I'm a cheap bastard... sue me... you won't get much cause there ain't much! - it's mostly because I have a copy of Hasbro RISK from 95 which I really like and play) but I would like to know if the map editor/creator continues to work after the trial period is over.

Also, will you take a map from somebody who hasn't paid the registration fee? BTW, the map is Spain, split up into it's provinces with the Autonomous regions being continents, including the Balearics and Canaries, but NOT Portugal. I'm having a bit of trouble lining up some of my country polygons, but overall, the map editor is a nice little tool. I wish I could zoom in and fine tune some of the polys though. :-)

wizard88
Luxer

cheap bastard

Post by wizard88 » Mon Dec 13, 2004 11:06 pm

Lux is a good value at twice the price. I have $40 games that I have played 1/10th as often.

Kef
Lux Translator

Post by Kef » Tue Dec 14, 2004 5:50 am

I've been here for over a year, I can say it's a hell lotta fun to play Lux

michelle
Lux Elder
Location: With mb, sas & Aqua at dustin's luxurious retirement village for ex-mods

Re: cheap bastard

Post by michelle » Tue Dec 14, 2004 8:13 am

wizard88 wrote:Lux is a good value at twice the price. I have $40 games that I have played 1/10th as often.
Lux is worth it and more any question here is an old thread to read
http://sillysoft.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1331

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Tue Dec 14, 2004 10:36 am

The map editor will continue to work after the demo games have all been used up. It's still beta, so it's possible that this could change, but I don't really see any reason to limit it.

Maps will be taken from any and all who submit them. :P

eko

Here are some screenshots

Post by eko » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:03 am

Here are two screenshots of the finished product. Well, finished with only my playtesting once. :-) One shot is the blank map without any placements, and the other is the continent setup. Should I set up a download zip file with the map and theme in it for folks to give it a whirl and find any bugs? I'm all new to the Lux thing and this is my first shot at a map, so there may be something wrong which I don't know about. How do I go about this? Thanks!

wizard88
Luxer

Post by wizard88 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:59 am

I would increase the value of the central countries. They have so many borders and potential enemies. Their value is not worth the risk now.

Upon first view of this map, I see everyone fighting from the Islands and Galacia. Then moving towards the center.

The southern 3 islands are very small. May be hard to see the color of the country after armies are placed. Their connections are minute also.

The detail and drawing is excellent, and I am looking forward to trying it.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:17 am

Looks very cool. There is a form that you can use to upload your map and theme. Find it here:
http://sillysoft.net/plugins/upload/

You can use the same form to upload a new version later on if you make any changes, and it will replace the previous one.

eko

Thanks

Post by eko » Fri Dec 17, 2004 9:50 am

Thanks for the info regarding the submission process.

Wizard, what would be your recommendations for continent values? Also, the islands seem to appear just fine on my computer, but, I will see about making them a bit bigger, don't want to get too much off scale though!

The center of Spain has historically always been very hard to control, and indeed, throughout history, attacks have been planned and begun from the northwest and through the strait of gibraltar and the southern coast lines. I thought about incorporating mountain ranges that hinder the attacks, but then Malaga and much of the southern coast would have become a darn fortress with only once access point! Still, it is fun to play around with these concepts. I think I've only played like 3 games with my demo version, but I sure do love the mapping and creating. :-) On a related note, the capability to do connecting lines does not exist in the map editor yet, does it? I looked to try and do some lines like the Classic Risk, and I see how they are done in the map file, but I couldn't see how this was done in the map editor, so I just put them on the theme background.

I think it is difficult to create a good playing map when the majority of the countries are simply connected like Spain is, but this was a first shot map and I just wanted to battle in my home country for fun. My next project is to do historic maps of Spain during Roman, Visigoth and Muslim time periods. The division of Spain when it was 3/4 Muslim and 1/4 Christian is very interesting and will make for some good gameplay I think. Sorry for the long post! OY!

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Re: Thanks

Post by dustin » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:20 am

eko wrote:On a related note, the capability to do connecting lines does not exist in the map editor yet, does it?
No, it cannot be done from the map editor yet. Should be in the next version.

wizard88
Luxer

Post by wizard88 » Fri Dec 17, 2004 7:49 pm

8 for Castilla La Mancha
7 for Castilla y Leon

When will it be uploaded?

Jorge
Luxer

Going Up

Post by Jorge » Fri Dec 17, 2004 10:11 pm

Ok, I've uploaded the map and theme under the name of "Spain". I've changed the values of the continents to 8 and 7, and I also made Andalucia worth 8 because every single one of it's regions is open to attack.

Since I had some time this afternoon, I decided to do another map. :-) I've been looking for a good backdrop to do a classic risk map on, and was looking for some type of historical map which would look good. I wasn't having much success but I finally came upon one at the site of a RISK fan. After some modification and preparation it was ready to be used as the backdrop for my take on Classic Risk. I think it turned out fairly well.

However, I have to ask regarding the legality of it. Since it says RISK on the backdrop, does that infringe upon the creators of RISK? I'm also curious as to how a game like Lux (and others like it) can exist, actually. How is it possible to make available a game which is directly based off a game somebody owns? Do you have a license from the copyright holders of RISK? Or is it not necessary? I have seen a number of computer derivatives of RISK, so there must not be the need to do that. Dustin, could you please answer this nagging question I've had for a while? And... if it is OK to distribute a derivative of the game of RISK, should it not also be OK to distribute this backdrop that I used? (I sent an e-mail to the person from whose website I got the image from to ask him if he created it or if it is an original work by somebody else.)

Anyway, enough yapping, here is what it looks like. I know it's just ANOTHER version of the classic RISK, but man does it look good when you fire up Lux. It totally changes the character of it. :-) It is 1000 pixels wide, so it's nice and big and really looks like a board game.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:43 pm

Maps using artwork taken from a Risk or similar game will not be accepted. Sorry about that. There has been some past discussion about this in the forum. Search for 'copyright' and you should find it.

Jorge
Luxer

Post by Jorge » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:48 pm

Thanks for the clarification. Let me ask a follow up question though. What if the RISK lettering is removed and the country names are removed, it then simply becomes a world map, right?

Assuming this graphic was never released by the company that makes RISK, if we remove any references to the original game, is it then legal? The individual who had it at his website says he doesn't remember where he got it, would you mind if I posted a link to the original graphic in a new topic to see if somebody can identify it? I've never seen that RISK graphic before on any of the released boards or video games, so it may be an original piece of artwork not affiliated with the company.

I'll do a search for copyright now and read up on my history. :-)

PS
The individual who had the graphic was not aware of Lux's existence and was excited to hear of Lux. Looks like he's going to try it out.

Kef
Lux Translator

Post by Kef » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:53 pm

Host it a few games and it will spread :)

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sat Dec 18, 2004 6:32 pm

If it was created for a Risk game then no amount of editing/altering would make it acceptable. You need permission from the copyright holder to use any version of their work.

Jorge
Luxer

Post by Jorge » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:53 am

Allrighty, I've read the copyright discussion and it is clear to me. I can't seem to find where this particular RISK graphic is from. It seems to be an original piece of art based on the board layout, but I have yet to find a released board that looks like it... nonetheless, it is definately derived from RISK, as it has the trademark whale and ship, etc. etc.

Oh, well, I guess I'll just have to keep this one for myself, or share it personally with folks if they are interested. Thanks again for the response Dustin, and I agree with you... the safe course is the best course!