Problems with saving a map

Lux maps won't make themselves.
PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Problems with saving a map

Post by PJB » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:15 pm

hi,

Im making a map and i have read most of the basics to do so. I started of in the map editor loaded a background image and started drawing. After completing all the steps with Preacherman's map tutorial it gave an error (dont remember wich one). I tried to fix it but i couldnt so i saved the map and went eating. When i opened the saved map 80% of all my countries/drawings were gone.

Three days later i started from scratch all over again. When i finished there was an error again. I closed and saved the map, opened it again same error but still all my countries were there. When i saved the map and closed to map editor to try again later all my countries where gone.

Both times i was working on it for more than 3 hours. Before i try again does anyone know if i need to save the map in a special way or can tell me what i have done wrong?

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:33 pm

I have had this happen to me before once or twice as well. I assume that when you start over from scratch, you are using the same map name when you save it. What I would suggest doing is deleting the old map file before you start over. Also, save your map a couple of times during a session. It will save you some time if the error message pops up twenty minutes into your creation process.

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:37 pm

No i didnt use the same map i started clean. Next time i will save it more often so i will notice the error sooner thanx

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:50 pm

You might want to back up your files by duplicating the lux file at key intervals. Store the duplicates somewhere other than the lux folder. This way you'll have a step by step record of the project that you can revisit should you need to.

I do this with projects i know i won't finish in one session - it may prove helpful, especially if you're learning new software.
Last edited by Behemoth on Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Thu Dec 24, 2009 3:19 pm

Thanx for the advise, ill give it one more try.

naboorusunny
Lux Newbie

Can't save !!

Post by naboorusunny » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:07 pm

hello, I've been designing a map for the afternoon, and when I wanted to save the map, I was asked to give a name to it, and I clicked on 'save',and " you map was saved" was written,
then when I wanted open it, I couldn't find the file. I've looked EVERYWHERE !!! and I spent a lot of time looking for it...
can anyone help me ? is there a special file where the maps created are stored??
please :(
I 'm on a MAC.
thank you !

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:43 pm

There is a file entitled "saved." They should be in there. Hopefully these images will help.

Last edited by nimrod7 on Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:01 pm

it should be in this folder:
~/Library/Application Support/Lux/Boards/Saved/

(where the ~ means your home folder)