Map Updates

Lux maps won't make themselves.
Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Map Updates

Post by Behemoth » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:35 am

dustin wrote:I tried to use DEUX REDUX in the seeds tournament today, but it caused an issue because some people still had the old theme installed and it doesn't update easily.

Best thing to do is to update the map to use a newly named theme like "DEUX REDUX 2", so it will ensure that everyone sees the new one.
paranoiarodeo wrote:
Hear hear and I'd recommend this become official policy ...

All significant map tweaks should require uniquely named themes to prevent previous installation problems ...

∞ paranoiarodeo had to explain the "uninstall plugin \ quit Lux \ launch Lux \ install plugin" dance several times during the twitch tourney ∞

(Perhaps Behemoth should re-re-release both DEUX REDUX and HOT GATES with renamed themes?)
This all seems reasonable enough.

It isn't the way maps are usually updated though so I'm a bit puzzled why this map in particular should be re-titled. Players with their prefs set to 'notify of new plug-ins' should have been automatically alerted to the Duex redux map file update, correct?

Or is there an issue with this system working, or with players using it? Or don't most players know how to uninstall and re-install a map? I know it's slightly more involved when the theme has been changed along with the map file.

However if the issue has to do with players not bothering to take note of a version change in the plug in manager when notified of it, are they any more likely to take note of a change to the maps title, or to go through the process of updating when notified of the change?

Or if the issue is that most players don't know how to uninstall and re-install a map/ theme file, I can't see how a shiny new title will solve anything at all.

I know Expletus went through an ugly teething stage for a while when Lupus updated the theme. A lot of players either didn't understand they needed to update their files for the tweaks to work, or resented having to do it, as if they were having to mend a 'mistake'.

Anyway... I'm happy to work it whatever way suits the majority and/or makes the most sense. Just thought it was worthwhile airing the issue so all designers, hosts, forum lurkers and players are aware of what's what.

Best place to start is with a Duex Redux update that includes continent borders in the theme.

DUEX REDUX 2?

Mmmm... :|

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:35 am

Duex Redux Redo obv

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:06 am

Hey Beh,
My advise was to rename the theme. Keep the map name the same, but inside the map give the theme a new name. That ensures 100% that nobody will see the previous theme.

When a map is hosted online, and people join, Lux will only check if they have the theme installed or not. It doesn't check that they have the most recent version of the theme. This could be called a bug in lux for sure. But, the easiest solution for now, is to rename the theme whenever you make drastic changes to a theme. Basically create a new theme, instead of updating the previous one.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:27 am

But then you'd also have to update the map to point to the new theme. Just a reminder.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:52 pm

Well that makes perfect sense. No problem at all.

You might've gleaned I wasn't so hot on the idea of a new title :wink: