My new map: Space War Mini

Lux maps won't make themselves.
Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

My new map: Space War Mini

Post by Enzo1997 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 4:31 pm

Here is a picture of my new map "Space War Mini". Please comments and questions are accepted so please reply.

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:09 pm

maps that ones country's borders overlap another ones will not pass through the maplab.

to give you an example when clicking on that middle area, how can you tell which one Lux will decide to hit?
It's random and unpredictable.
Thus to avoid errors maplab requires ALL maps to have countries that don't overlap.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:51 pm

The mapLAB has sent you a feedback via email

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:25 pm

I think some small overlaps might be OK, for visual funkyness like you've done here. But there's too much here, especially in the bottom right.

Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

Post by Enzo1997 » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:00 pm

The whole point of my map is overlapping...

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:09 pm

... interesting... i think the overlapping makes the map look better, but it might be slightly confusing.

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:58 pm

The problem isn't whether it looks confusing or not.

It has to do more of whether during gameplay this will be perceived as a bug or not.

imagine trying to attack one country and instead hit another.

That is not to count the times that you click on a country and for some reason it seems that lux doesn't respond
(reason is that lux may think you are trying to click the country of origin).

another is when fortifying. you try to fortify in one country and suddenly it sends all the troops in another.

While I'm not in favor of any country overlapping another, i do agree with Dustin that for the sake of aesthetics we could let it go if it wasn't so extreme.

someone would easily say "just don't click between them".
It's easier said than done when someone is on a timer and has to speed click throughout the map for a kill etc and has little time to do it.
Some people are unable to click on the right country as it is on maps that don't have overlapping. imagine what would happen in a map that does!!!

nevertheless, personally i would never allow a map that has 3 countries overlapping each other at the same time.

two is somewhat ok (that don't have extreme overlapping). three is a no no!!!

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:11 pm

Not to add up the issues on you Enzo, but another problem I see is if 2 countries owned by 2 different players are overlapping, the overlapped area will look like a 3rd color.

A possible solution, if the overlapping is essential, is to make the overlapped area a graphic, rather than part of the country.

Or you could make the overlapped area a separate country.

MB

Drifter
Semiholy Rambler
Location: An undisclosed location... for reasons of security, and therefore... insecurity...

Post by Drifter » Wed Nov 03, 2010 6:17 pm

Maybe one could just aim for the middle of the circle as opposed to the overlapping part. If people are not smart enough to figure that out after a game or two, they might need help fastening the velcro on their shoes as well.

Who knows, Mazza and Deez might be really good at this map once they get their drank on...

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:24 pm

/me envisions himself running around like a chicken minus a head for sures! Vroom Vroom!

Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

Post by Enzo1997 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:39 pm

Drifter wrote:Maybe one could just aim for the middle of the circle as opposed to the overlapping part. If people are not smart enough to figure that out after a game or two, they might need help fastening the velcro on their shoes as well.

Who knows, Mazza and Deez might be really good at this map once they get their drank on...
That is my idea, it is very obvious that the top country is the one you attack, I'm sorry if you need help changing your own clothes people.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:00 pm

Obvious to you, but it's not correct!

Lux will actually alternate between which country it detects you click on. Sometimes the top, and sometimes the bottom. Crazzzzy!

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:36 pm

is any of this fixed by lux 6.1?

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:08 am

No, simply because there is nothing to fix.

Lux works just as intended.
The problem here has arisen by the fact that we are trying to make an exemption to the maplab rules for enzo's sake.

this is not that different than having a map submitted full of missing connections.
The program cannot guess what human intentions were when making the map as to which country connects with which.
Same way here the program has no way of guessing which country you intended to click.

Is it country A or B?

I think we are a long long way of creating computer programs with human psychic abilities.