maps Castle Vox for Lux

Lux maps won't make themselves.
Arjan
Lux Newbie

maps Castle Vox for Lux

Post by Arjan » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:24 pm

Hi,

I like the game Lux a lot. I play it about 4 years now.

I like the Geomatric Shapes the most of all.

The maps for the game castle vox are a lot of Geomatric shapes maps.

IS there a way to use these same maps for LUX ?

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:04 pm

With lux delux, under your map selection bar (how you would choose normal maps) simply select HexInfinity (and the size of your choice) and it will generate a map for you (new map everytime.) Those will give you geometric shape maps, but not the same maps as you have in Castle Vox.

If you want other geometric shape maps, I suggest:
Deep Space Wars
Space Empire I
Space Empire III
Cube Wars

So, to directly answer your question, while you cannot play the same exact maps on Lux Delux, there is a large variety of geometric shape maps, and map generators available for Lux.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:12 am

If you open a .voxb file in a text editor and then re-save it as a .luxb file it should be able to be opened in Lux, but it may strip a lot of the code out and require you to fine tune some things. It definitely won't have a scenario. You'll also have to save it into the lux directory and copy over any theme elements into the proper directory as well.

But if you or anyone does this, please only use them for your own personal local games, don't try and submit them.

Arjan
Lux Newbie

Post by Arjan » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:25 pm

@Rhye
there is a large variety of geometric shape maps, and map generators available for Lux.
played all of them, some more than 100 times. I have LUX Delux for more than 4 years, so...I really mean the maps of Castle Vox.

And yeah, I liked (and still do like) the deep space war and Space Empire maps :)

@mbauer
Okay, I shall try your suggestion. It seems a lot of work to do so, but it's worth the effort since there are almost no new maps made for Lux since Castle Vox came out. And I need new maps haha :)

Don't worry. I will not add them. Thanks for the given possibility. Liked a lot of your maps, by the way.

EDIT several minutes later:

@mbauer
I'll tried it. But a little bit different than you have written. Copied the voxb file to the LUX map "saved" (It seemed that that is where all the maps of Lux are). Than I changed the extension in luxb. Started LUX en searched for the map. Found it and started it. IT worked. I tried it with the map "2 Bridges"

Only thing: it prompted just before the start of the game: "you need a black theme and you don't have a black theme. Do you want Lux to search and download it?" Clicked yes, but nothing happened. Than I played the game without "rare"things. So, it seems to work fine for me :):):)

Question: What is meant by a theme and why should I need that?

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:11 am

The theme is all the "art work" and graphics that is associated with the map.

Both Vox and Lux have a theme directory, it's a folder called "themes" and it's right near where the saved maps are. Inside the theme directory are a bunch of folders, the title of those folders is the name of the theme. So in the Castle Vox theme directory you need to find the folder that Lux is looking for and copy it into the Lux theme directory. Make sense?

So in this case it's looking for the theme titled "black." But you won't find a theme folder called "black", I think because it's hard coded into the game. It's just a flat black background anyway. It probably loaded into Lux on just a black background correct? So for the 2 Bridges map you don't have to worry about the theme. If the message bothers you, simply create a folder called "black" in the Lux theme directory. The folder can be empty or you can put a .jpg file in there that is just a black square and call that .jpg "background.jpg"

And thanks for liking me maps!!!
:dp

Arjan
Lux Newbie

Post by Arjan » Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:37 am

Yes, make sense.
And yes, the background is black indeed.

Another question:

With one map (extreme ancient italian conquest) of Castle Vox there are some problems in LUX:

the army's on a lot of countries are invisible. They are there, but they can not be seen. Is there a easy way to fix this?