Hot Carl! at the Republican National Convention

Of the people, by the people, for the people, for whatevs.
Mike
Lux Townie

Hot Carl! at the Republican National Convention

Post by Mike » Tue Sep 07, 2004 12:45 am

Anyone see the Daily show a couple of nights ago?

gibraltar monkey

Post by gibraltar monkey » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:14 am

yes, freakin hilarious, but not as funny as zell miller's solo performance. after seeing him challenge Chris Matthews to a duel - i was laughing my ass off for about 5 minutes. it still makes me tear up.

Here's a partial transcript: the whole thing can be found at
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5892840/

MATTHEWS:  OK.  Do you believe now—do you believe, Senator, truthfully, that John Kerry wants to defend the country with spitballs?  Do you believe that? 

MILLER:  That was a metaphor, wasn‘t it?  Do you know what a metaphor is? 

MATTHEWS:  Well, what do you mean by a metaphor?

MILLER:  Wait a minute.  He certainly does not want to defend the country with the B-1 bomber or the B-2 bomber or the Harrier jet or the Apache helicopter or all those other things that I mentioned.  And there were even more of them in here. 

You‘ve got to quit taking these Democratic talking points and using what they are saying to you.

MATTHEWS:  No, I am using your talking points and asking you if you really believe them. 

MILLER:  Well, use John Kerry‘s talking points from the—from what he has had to say on the floor of the Senate, where he talked about them being occupiers, where he put out this whenever he was running for the U.S.  Senate about what he wanted to cancel.  Cancel to me means to do away with. 

MATTHEWS:  Well, what did you mean by the following.

MILLER:  I think we ought to cancel this interview. 

MATTHEWS:  Well, I don‘t mean...

(CROSSTALK)

MATTHEWS:  Well, that would be my loss, Senator.  That would be my loss. 

Let me ask you about this, because I think you have a view on the role of reporters in the world.  You have said and it has often been said so truthfully that it is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us the freedom of the press.  Was there not...

MILLER:  Do you believe that? 

MATTHEWS:  Well, of course it‘s true. 

MILLER:  Do you believe that? 

MATTHEWS:  But it‘s a statement that nobody would have challenged.  Why did you make it?  It seems like no one would deny what you said.  So what‘s your point? 

MILLER:  Well, it evidently got a rise out of you.

MATTHEWS:  Well, I think it‘s a

(CROSSTALK)

MILLER:  Because you are a reporter. 

MATTHEWS:  That‘s right. 

MILLER:  You didn‘t have anything to do with freedom of the press. 

MATTHEWS:  Well, you could argue it was not nurses who defended the freedom of nursing.  Why did you single out freedom of the press to say it was the soldiers that defended it and not the reporters?  We all know that.  Why did you say it? 

MILLER:  Well, because I thought it needed to be said at this particular time, because I wanted to come on...

MATTHEWS:  Because you could get an applause line against the media at a conservative convention.

MILLER:  No, I said it because it was—you‘re hopeless.  I wish I was over there. 

(CROSSTALK)

MILLER:  In fact, I wish that we lived in—I wish we lived in the

day

(CROSSTALK)  

MATTHEWS:  I‘ve got to warn you, we are in a tough part of town over here. 

MATTHEWS:  But I do recommend you come over, because I like you. 

Let me tell you this. 

MILLER:  Chris. 

MILLER:  If you‘re going to ask a question...

MATTHEWS:  Well, it‘s a tough question.  It takes a few words. 

MILLER:  Get out of my face. 

MILLER:  If you are going to ask me a question, step back and let me answer. 

(LAUGHTER)

MATTHEWS:  Senator, please.

MILLER:  You know, I wish we...

MILLER:  I wish we lived in the day where you could challenge a person to a duel. 

MILLER:  Now, that would be pretty good.