Hawaii

Of the people, by the people, for the people, for whatevs.
dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Hawaii

Post by dustin » Fri Feb 21, 2020 11:36 pm

I'm going to visit Hawaii soon, the big island. It will be the first time travelling with new baby (10 months old now). I'm looking forward to some good sun break from Canadian winter (even out west it's far from tropical). Anyone been to the big island before? Tips welcome

plane crazy
Lux Corporate Pilot

Re: Hawaii

Post by plane crazy » Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:01 pm

Check out volcano park, black sand beach, telescopes, Hilo, eat tasty fish, leave baby at home with Grandma. Have fun!

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:25 pm

The big island is very undeveloped compared to the other islands. Most of the beaches that have sand and non-rocky swimming areas are going to be crowded or private entrances.

If you are a strong swimmer green sand beach is very impressive. Definitely don't take a baby there though, leave it with Grandma- it is about an hour to two hour hike to the beach unless you want to pay a local to give you a ride on their truck. The beach itself it located in a cove with very awesome geology (you can tell the powerful waves there shaped the cove). The sand is green and pretty and expect to get slammed into the sand if you are trying to body surf. Definitely worth going to if you can ditch the baby for an afternoon.

Definitely go to the volcano park and hike down into the crater.

If you happen to drive past a taco truck that is parked and part of a restaurant definitely get fish tacos there. They make them in the van and you can eat them inside the restaurant. Wish I remembered the name of it.

Of course any beach you go to in Hawaii you have a decent chance of seeing a turtle.

If you are into diving check out their night dives, one of the best I've experienced.

Depending on the season Hilo and the main tourist towns tend to close before sunset so be aware of that.

Overall, not to sound negative but /personally/ the big island is not one of the islands I would recommend traveling to compared to other islands. That being said it is still very beautiful and has warm water. It's a good island for drinking cocktails and watching the sunset.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Wed Mar 18, 2020 11:43 pm

Also- Check out the Pee Pee waterfall. It's named that for a reason, but if you go above the falls there is a swimming hole that the locals use, if you ask them about it they will deny it exists so you have to figure out how to access it on your own- which isn't too hard just follow where all the parked cars are and go through a backyard. If you are feeling adventurous you can jump into the rapids and go for a ride (expect to get a few bruises but it's fun if you survive; just wait to watch a local do it first then copy them).

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Mar 19, 2020 8:03 pm

Thanks for the tips peeps. Quite the trip with a baby! Glad to have got some sun and waves in. Feels like we got home in the nick of time, all flights going bonkers now

BarStar
Met Dustin

Post by BarStar » Fri Mar 27, 2020 5:57 pm

wow dustin, in the nick of time is no joke. glad you got home safe!