Movies opening this weekend

Of the people, by the people, for the people, for whatevs.

What movies are you going to see

Poll ended at Sat Jul 31, 2004 4:48 pm

The Village
25%
The Manchurian Candidate
13%
Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle
13%
Thunderbirds
No votes
none
50%
other
No votes

Total votes: 8

mbauer
Not A Truck

Movies opening this weekend

Post by mbauer » Wed Jul 28, 2004 4:48 pm

Will you tear yourself away from lux to see any of these movies?

Kef
Lux Translator

Post by Kef » Thu Jul 29, 2004 7:58 am

none 8)

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Sun Aug 01, 2004 2:45 am

The Village is good.... Look for M. Night Shamylan.. the writer director in a quick cameo..... you can only see him in the reflection of the glass in a medicine cabinet....

Mike

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Sun Aug 01, 2004 10:32 am

The village was alright. M. Night needs to stop trying to replicate the 6th sense and do something totally diferent. I really liked the Manchurian Candidate, it could have been a little faster paced though.

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Mon Aug 02, 2004 11:09 pm

I havent seen the remake of the Manchurian Candidate (in theaters now) but the original (I think is an Orsen Wells Film) is always on the list of top 50 movies of all time... You should check it out and compare.... I will try to see the "new" one this week.

Mike

As for the Village....original.......well it is not a remake....

Mike

:D

rip
Luxer

Post by rip » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:22 am

Mike wrote:As for the Village....original.......well it is not a remake....
What they are saying is that M. Night is remaking the same movie (6th sense). He takes his one mss, files off the serial numbers, calls it something else, and then remakes the film.

One hopes that at some point in the future, he'll realize that he needs to make a different film.

rip

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:28 am

I disagree that he makes the same movie over an over....

Sixt Sense, Unbreakable, Signs, The Village.... all different. Because there is an un-seen plot twist at the end, is unique to his style.... Most films try to make an unseen plot twist at the end, and fail miserabley... M. Night has mastered the Unseen Plot Twist... Laud him for it, don't hate him....

Name a suspense type thriller, that does not attempt the unseen plot twist at the end???????

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:01 am

I do admire M. Night for his "surprise" endings, I love surprise endings as much as the next guy. But all of his movies, although do have a unique story, are the exact same in their style of storytelling, acting, editing, music, and directing. We are taken through a slow build up of suspense and intrigue, then when we finally get bored he reveals the "twist." M. Night is by no means the only filmmaker that has "twist" endings. In fact the filmaker he is trying to be, Hitchcock, perfected the suspenseful unseen plot twist...Psycho...hello. I'm not dissing M. Night I thouroughly enjoy his movies (even the underated Unbreakable) I think he is a very talented director and Hollywood needs a unique voice like his, instead of rehashing old T.V. shows, comic books, and classic movies. I'm just saying I think he is so talented ne needs to show us what he can do with a different type of movie. Even Hitchcock did a few comedy even though he's known for the thriller type stuff.

mbauer

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:16 am

Perhaps our expectations for the Village are clouding the real story... it is a love story, between 2 kids who are brought up in an almost utopian society... almost because (well i dont want to give it away for those who havent seen it)... but unlike Unbreakable (which had a dissonant love story)

Sixth Sense: A film about a man coming to understand himself by helping a little boy.... bla bla bla...

UnBreakable: A film about the same man (Bruce Willis, who is not an actor but a personality...) coming to understand himself.... through bizare circumstances...

Signs....Hmmm A film about a man, battling with his faith... perhaps...yes wait, coming to undestand himself... Through wait.... bizarre circumstances...yes....

The Village.... Not about a man coming to understand himself... But First and Foremost: A love story..... Between 2 people (a super woman, and and an extraordinary man) who stand out amoungst their otherwise normal peers... Wait, the other characters, (elders) really come to no understanding at all..... Hmm m

I dont see it as being the same film with the serial numbers (as Rip so imaginatevely put it) filed down and re-hashed....

You wanted M. Night to make another type of film... the Village is it. This film has more in common with The Piano, than it does with any other M. Night film.... See Fight Club for a M. Night Rip off... (which I enjoyed thoroughly)

Mike

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Tue Aug 03, 2004 10:28 am

Fight Club is an M. Night rip off? I'd like you to support that comment. M. Night can only dream of being in the same league as David Fincher.

I agree, all of M. Nights film do in fact have a unique story in an amongst themselves and in the larger world of Hollywood (for the most part). However, they are all told the exact same way, leaving us with the feeling that all he's done is wrote a new story and not found a unique way of telling us this new story. Instead he just plugs in the new story in to the same format that rocketed him to stardom with the Sixth Sense.

mbauer

sasquatch
Semiholy Beast

Post by sasquatch » Thu Aug 05, 2004 2:30 pm

When I saw "Sixth Sense" I had no idea it had a twist ending or what to expect. Nobody told me to see it, I just rented it one evening. I attentively watched the movie at home and it ended. I had no chills or crazy mind blowing epiphanies at the end. It seemed a rather predictable end to me. Maybe it's because I also read books that it takes more than a single twist to blow my mind. I also watched "Signs" at home and had the same feelings - but this time it was about half way thru the movie. I think Shamalamadingdong takes himself a bit too seriously. Maybe his next film should be a romantic comedy with a twist?

Best Regards,
Sasquatch

rob
Lux Addict

Post by rob » Thu Aug 05, 2004 5:53 pm

agreed 'squatch. his movies suck. 6th sense was o.k. but wouldn't even be a B movie without the hype.

Headache
Luxer

Post by Headache » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:51 pm

That weekend i saw:
The village: IT SUCKED ASS!
Harold and Kumar or whatever there names are: Very Funny
Bourne Supremecy: Very Interesting

Bishop

Post by Bishop » Mon Aug 09, 2004 11:37 am

We now know what happened to Beavis... he changed his name to Headache and plays Lux online....

_Robbie
Luxer

Post by _Robbie » Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:05 pm

My thoughts on Village...
very much like Signs...gives u quick little jolts. other than that, it isn't scary at all.

i thought it was a good story, but was poorly executed. cant night make a movie that leaves u scared?

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:52 am

Sorry we disagree on how well done the film was Robbie.... By the way, i saw Manchurian candidate.... poorly executed rip off of the origianl with Frank Sinatra..... ive seen more interesting things in a cat's litter box....