Pax Demo Times

Forum games, computer games, any other games that you'd like to play.
LoudMusic
Luxer

Pax Demo Times

Post by LoudMusic » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:04 pm

I realize the demo is rather shortcoming (less than 1% of the entire game) but I've got what I think are pretty good times for the available maps - I just need to buy it now and start playing other people.

Here are my times:

aus - 3:44
crossed - 8:00
lines - 3:36
one - 4:02
risk - 5:24

How do I compare to others? Has anyone played for fastest conquering time?

I've gotten a bunch of friends interested in it now as well and I think a small group of us will be playing on a LAN - I'm major excited (:

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest
Location: Sweden (capital of Denmark, an island in Norway, southern Europe)

Post by Preacherman » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:17 pm

aus - 4:26
crossed - 5:34
lines - 2:32
one - 2:56
risk - 4:00

Screenshots available upon request 8)

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:21 pm

So, the mystery is solved. Preach hasn't been playing Lux because he is

hooked on Pax!

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest

Post by Preacherman » Fri Apr 15, 2005 1:34 pm

lol those times are a month old, I've not played for ages. It's a cool game but kind of repetitive and boring after a week or so, especially with the same 5 maps over and over, and no multi player support to speak of.

LoudMusic
Luxer

Post by LoudMusic » Fri Apr 15, 2005 2:06 pm

Preacherman wrote:lol those times are a month old, I've not played for ages. It's a cool game but kind of repetitive and boring after a week or so, especially with the same 5 maps over and over, and no multi player support to speak of.
Have you considered purchasing it?

Good times by the way.

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest

Post by Preacherman » Fri Apr 15, 2005 3:10 pm

Thanks! No, I'll not purchase it without at least multiplayer support and some sort of tangible community behind it. At the moment, I only play it on occasion for something else to do, or to kill a few minutes. But with a decent website, GUI overhaul, and multiplayer support it has great potential.

Las Vegas
Luxer

Post by Las Vegas » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:03 pm

I've been hyping Pax for the past couple of weeks, but nobody really seems interested. Dustin said a multiplayer network is being set up, and should be out eventually (no timetable, I'm sure). I've been playing the demo, and I think it definitely has potential. I'm pretty sure there is already a multiplayer option, so long as you have the IP of the person you are going to play against.

I'd be interested in trying that out with someone, but everyone I've asked doesn't want to play it. It's ok, because I'm practicing, and when the multiplayer comes out, I'll be ATOP THE WORLD RANKINGS!!!!

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:28 pm

Here's my Pax screen. 3 stars means beaten on Hard, 4 stars is expert. It gets damn hard up there.

A multiplayer server is coming. I urge you to all practice solo before then. Otherwise Vegas may be right... :wink:

LoudMusic
Luxer

Post by LoudMusic » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:43 pm

dustin wrote:Here's my Pax screen. 3 stars means beaten on Hard, 4 stars is expert. It gets damn hard up there.

*snip*

A multiplayer server is coming. I urge you to all practice solo before then. Otherwise Vegas may be right... :wink:
Very nice. I'm working through them all now on normal. Some are painfully easy, other are rediculously difficult. I have no idea how you beat them on Expert. I'll get there ...

Out of curiosity, do you spend much time just letting your armies build up while the AI players pummel one another?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:52 pm

Well I haven't beat them all on expert, just hard. Still a challenge, but not nearly as tough as expert (which is sooo fricken tough). Also, some of the maps I could only beat on these difficulty levels using certain colors. If I play a few times and keep getting beat then I will try playing the color that beat me the most (although a lot of the time it still ends up in a loss...)

Yeah, sometimes I will sit there building up. If your borders are secure and you have a good number of stars it's worthwhile. Then while you have a bit of breathing time you can watch what the AIs are doing and plan your next attack accordingly.

If anyone reading this hasn't played Pax then go <a href="/pax/">download it</a>!

LoudMusic
Luxer

Post by LoudMusic » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:30 pm

Cool - good to know. I've beat them all on normal using white only. So now I'll go through on Hard and probably have to change up which color I use. Some of these are tough and some I ripped through really fast.

Las Vegas
Luxer

Post by Las Vegas » Tue Apr 26, 2005 5:32 pm

I'm guessing that to access the different levels, you have to buy the game? I will buy it when Dustin makes a network for it. Multiplayer PAX! I've been advocating it for a few weeks now, and I can't wait.

michelle
Lux Elder
Location: With mb, sas & Aqua at dustin's luxurious retirement village for ex-mods

Post by michelle » Wed Apr 27, 2005 5:47 am

dustin wrote:
If anyone reading this hasn't played Pax then go <a href="/pax/">download it</a>!
but then I wouldnt have time to lux :P

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:54 am

Ditto - I barely have time to Lux now.

Pimaniac
Luxer

Post by Pimaniac » Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:06 am

Just to beat Preacherman once in my live:

aus-2:54
lines-2:20
risk-3:38

screenshot avaiable :-)

Vinny Vedi Vici
Luxer

Post by Vinny Vedi Vici » Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:58 am

aus-2:50
crossed-11:40
lines-2:32
one-3:10
risk-3:54

so HA

altho ur crossed time is INSANE preach!

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest

Post by Preacherman » Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:53 am

Crossed is the only one I ever play - the others are too easy to be challenging on the unregistered version. I should probably play them more just to improve the times and beat Pimaniac ;)

But yeah it is a good time - only ever got it once - but then I am convinced that there is some random element in the game as well - you can follow one strategy and get 5:34, and the next with the exact same strategy it can take over 10 minutes... :?

Vinny Vedi Vici
Luxer

Post by Vinny Vedi Vici » Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:32 am

yea same here

after 2 tries, the others arent worth it, too easy

but ur crossed is still awesome

LoudMusic
Luxer

Post by LoudMusic » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:27 pm

Preacherman wrote:Crossed is the only one I ever play - the others are too easy to be challenging on the unregistered version. I should probably play them more just to improve the times and beat Pimaniac ;)

But yeah it is a good time - only ever got it once - but then I am convinced that there is some random element in the game as well - you can follow one strategy and get 5:34, and the next with the exact same strategy it can take over 10 minutes... :?
True, crossed is the best of the free maps. But when you have all of them, it's really no big deal. It's one of only a handful I've beaten on Expert. Probably because I played it so much before I bought the game (:

LoudMusic
Luxer

Post by LoudMusic » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:33 pm

Oh, one other thing, in Pax do the attack / defend ratios change based on difficulty setting or is it just the number of ships you start with? Because it seems outrageously difficult to kill enemy ships the higher I go up the difficulty scale.

Diodor
Pax Creator

Post by Diodor » Thu Apr 28, 2005 2:17 am

LoudMusic wrote:Oh, one other thing, in Pax do the attack / defend ratios change based on difficulty setting or is it just the number of ships you start with? Because it seems outrageously difficult to kill enemy ships the higher I go up the difficulty scale.
Yes, it's only the number of ships that change between difficulty levels.

LoudMusic
Luxer

Post by LoudMusic » Thu Apr 28, 2005 11:02 am

Diodor wrote:
LoudMusic wrote:Oh, one other thing, in Pax do the attack / defend ratios change based on difficulty setting or is it just the number of ships you start with? Because it seems outrageously difficult to kill enemy ships the higher I go up the difficulty scale.
Yes, it's only the number of ships that change between difficulty levels.
Wow, maybe it's just my imagination.

It's good to hear from the developer! Thanks for a really great game - I've been having lots of fun with it. So far I have two stars on every packaged star chart and I'm going back through getting three stars.

LoudMusic
Luxer

Post by LoudMusic » Tue May 03, 2005 11:59 am

Ugh, only five more levels and I'll have them all completed on Hard. Dustin, how's the campaign for Expert coming? (:

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Tue May 03, 2005 1:52 pm

Uh, it's on hold for now. I was playing a ton of Pax for a while, but I'm back to Lux for now.

LoudMusic
Luxer

Post by LoudMusic » Thu May 05, 2005 12:25 pm

dustin wrote:Uh, it's on hold for now. I was playing a ton of Pax for a while, but I'm back to Lux for now.
Woohaa! Just finished the last level on Hard. That was pretty cool - all we need now is some head to head action. I'm sure like many other games (Lux, StarCraft, etc ...) it becomes a completely different game playing against humans than it does against a weak AI.

LoudMusic
Luxer

Post by LoudMusic » Fri May 13, 2005 10:05 am

Is anyone else playing Pax? I'm having some buggy crashes. Is there a forum for Pax?

And I've beaten a couple more on Expert. There's a lot more waiting on forces to build up and a lot more 'move before you think you're ready' type situations.

Fun fun.

Vinny Vedi Vici
Luxer

Post by Vinny Vedi Vici » Fri May 13, 2005 11:27 am

im not sure if there is one, but there should be

LoudMusic
Luxer

Post by LoudMusic » Fri May 13, 2005 12:25 pm

Woooo ... three experts, the rest on hard. Working through them on expert now. What a PAIN in the rear.

Vinny Vedi Vici
Luxer

Post by Vinny Vedi Vici » Fri May 13, 2005 12:29 pm

wow man

thats impressive!

i just play the demo while i wait for a game :)

Diodor
Pax Creator

Post by Diodor » Sun May 15, 2005 3:37 am

Is anyone else playing Pax? I'm having some buggy crashes. Is there a forum for Pax?
There's no forum so far. I'd like to hear more about those crashes, I thought I fixed the last bug away months ago (you can reach me at contact at diogames dot com).