Fantasy Baseball

Forum games, computer games, any other games that you'd like to play.
Grozoth
Lux Leviathan

Post by Grozoth » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:08 am

And I don't remember them winning a championship since Rivera choked in game 7 against the diamondbacks.... :roll:

One Big Wave
Lux Emo Star

Post by One Big Wave » Sun Apr 02, 2006 12:53 pm

26 in one century isnt enough for you? They are letting the other teams have a little fun before they win 26 more :D Oh yah, and dont start the whole whining game about the yankees payroll because you know what, some of the biggest salaries they pay are to people they developed through their farm team......so :smt110

smedz
Lux Scotsman

Post by smedz » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:06 pm

Grabs his pads and whites and strolls up to the crease

Its like Cricket yeah?

I guess I need to aquaint myself with these north american rituals sooner rather than later

:D

One Big Wave
Lux Emo Star

Post by One Big Wave » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:33 pm

Quick question, when is the auto draft and how can you renumber your "values" of players so that you can bump them up in your draft selections

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:55 pm

One Big Wave wrote:some of the biggest salaries they pay are to people they developed through their farm team......so :smt110
You keep saying this, but it still keeps stubbornly being a lie:

A. Rodriguez ($25.7M) - trade (Rangers)
M. Mussina ($19.0M) - free agent (Orioles)
K. Brown ($15.7M) - trade (Dodgers)
R. Johnson ($15.4M) - trade (D-Backs)
J. Giambi ($13.4M) - free agent (A's)
G. Sheffield ($11.5M) - free agent (Braves)
C. Pavano ($9.0M) - free agent (Marlins)
J. Damon ($8.3M) - free agent (Red Sox)
H. Matsui ($8.0M) - free agent (Japan)
J. Wright ($5.7M) - free agent (Braves)
S. Chacon ($2.3M) - free agent (Rockies)

Sure, of the regular starters, Jeter($19.6M), Rivera ($10.5M), Posada ($11M), and Williams ($12.4M) are home grown (Cano, I'm sure, is earning the league minimum). I think every team in the league can claim at least 5 everyday players from their own farm system. With the exception of Rivera, it looks like the ENTIRE Yankees pitching staff was acquired elsewhere.

I don't want to talk any smack - I don't like the Yankees, but I freely admit they are good, and have been good an awful lot over the years. The boss can spend the most money because they MAKE the most money. However, it annoys me when people make blatantly false arguments as if they are true. Most Yankees prospects get traded for high-priced major-league talent.

As for your other questions, I wish I knew when the draft was (it's got to be before the game starts at 8 eastern tonight, right?). Once you re-order your draft picks, there is a button labelled "save order" or some such all the way down at the bottom of the page. It took me a while to find it, too.

A timely article on ESPN: http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview06 ... id=2391991

My favorite part:
since the last time the Yankees won a World Series (way, way back in the year 2000), Steinbrenner's team has …

• Run up combined payrolls of approximately $978.5 million -- which, in case you're wondering, is more than the annual gross national products of Argentina, Switzerland and Russia put together.

• Signed 12 major free agents (i.e., players making more than $5 million a year): Jason Giambi, Mike Mussina, Johnny Damon, Hideki Matsui (twice), Gary Sheffield, Carl Pavano, Jaret Wright, Kyle Farnsworth, Jose Contreras, Sterling Hitchcock, Robin Ventura and Steve Karsay. Total price tag: more than half a billion dollars ($529.45 million).

• Traded for Randy Johnson, Alex Rodriguez, Kevin Brown, Raul Mondesi and David Justice -- all of whom made slightly more than, say, Bubba Crosby.

• Lost postseason series five times to teams -- the Diamondbacks, Angels, Marlins, Red Sox and Angels again -- that spent a combined 362.7 million fewer payroll dollars than the Yankees did.

After every one of those lost series, Steinbrenner has stewed, fumed and done an excellent job of pulling out his checkbook.

One Big Wave
Lux Emo Star

Post by One Big Wave » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:48 pm

You fail to mention the valuable players that they traded to get those talented players. Alfonso Soriano who was the hottest prospect in baseball by far got traded for Arod, while Texas still continues to pay for part of his salary. It's been proven before that teams don't necessarily need to have a high payroll to win as displayed by teams like the Florida Marlins, does it really matter how much they spend on their payroll? When it comes down to it baseball is a game, its a source of entertainment. George Steinbrennar certainly isnt losing money, people like to see a team of talented players on the field. You can't really hate a team because their owner is a good businessman can you?

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Sun Apr 02, 2006 5:51 pm

One Big Wave wrote:You can't really hate a team because their owner is a good businessman can you?
I can hate them for any reason I want. Here are some of my reasons:

1) the owner is an egocentric selfish jerk;

2) their fans (more than others) are spoiled and arrogant;

3) they have won enough to last for the next 100 years.

As for our fantasy draft, I'm starting to get this sinking feeling that hoodie forgot to select a draft date and time or something. It doesn't seem to be happening.

hoodie
Burning Man

Post by hoodie » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:06 pm

Hey Aqua,
I believe the draft date is April 3, which means we miss opening day, but get 161 other days. I just got back from out of town, so I'm behind on a lot of stuff but will double-check on this.

cheers,
Hoodie

hoodie
Burning Man

Post by hoodie » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:34 pm

So, I had originally set a date, but apparently you need to set the draft status to "ready". So it'll autodraft sometime between now and Thursday (I don't know exactly when).

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:57 pm

Uhhh... Thursday? Why not right now?

If it doesn't happen until Thursday, will stats be retroactive?

hoodie
Burning Man

Post by hoodie » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:13 pm

I don't think they'll be retroactive. I had originally set it for tomorrow, to give us a week to sign up people. Apparently, when set to autodraft, yahoo does it when yahoo wants to. Don't question Yahoo, or Yahoo will draft the Kansas City Royals for you.

One Big Wave
Lux Emo Star

Post by One Big Wave » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:09 pm

/me is scared of getting kansas city royals players. Is there a salary cap to make aqua happy?

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:17 pm

∞ paranoiarodeo waves his Cardinals flag ∞

If only LaRussa could snap that eight game losing streak in the World Series ... !

hoodie
Burning Man

Post by hoodie » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:26 am

By the power of Greyskull... the Yahoo Draft has the power!

It done gone happened already. :shock: That means we start tomorrow!

One Big Wave
Lux Emo Star

Post by One Big Wave » Mon Apr 03, 2006 1:37 am

Um, does anyone want to trade for manny ramirez, i dont even want him on my fantasy team....stooooopid first rd auto pick

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Mon Apr 03, 2006 8:34 am

Sure - you want an outfielder? How about Grady Sizemore? Look at my team and make an offer.

One Big Wave
Lux Emo Star

Post by One Big Wave » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:42 am

Maybe Jim Thome and K-Rod for Manny Ramirez and another fielder of your choice. Yahoo drafted me 3 pitchers on the DL lol

One Big Wave
Lux Emo Star

Post by One Big Wave » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:48 am

Oh yah, and can someone please explain to me how groz wound up with gagne AND rivera?

hoodie
Burning Man

Post by hoodie » Mon Apr 03, 2006 12:54 pm

Hell, my relievers have a combined total of 16 saves, not to mention Clemens (?!?!?!?! He's not even on a TEAM) and a pitcher on the DL. At least I like my offense....

Grozoth
Lux Leviathan

Post by Grozoth » Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:16 pm

Cuz Groz gots mad drafting skillz!?

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Wed Apr 05, 2006 9:27 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2397625

The highest-paid player in the majors this season is a Yankee. I doubt anyone is surprised. However, so is the second highest. And the 3rd. And number 6. And 11.

:wink:

Grozoth
Lux Leviathan

Post by Grozoth » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:37 am

0.0 ERA is freaking sweet, and without Rivera or Gagne pitching an inning too.

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:38 pm

Gagne's done - sorry. I have lots of closers - feel free to propose a trade.

Wave and hoodie - please check trade offers!

Grozoth
Lux Leviathan

Post by Grozoth » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:29 am

6-8 weeks is nothing.

magpie
Goat Avenger
Location: Riding with the League of Extraordinary Anti Goatfecking Gentlemen ...

Post by magpie » Sat Apr 08, 2006 1:06 am

feel free to give some advise to us non baseball fans, some of us don't have a clue of what to do.

:D

hoodie
Burning Man

Post by hoodie » Sat Apr 08, 2006 4:05 am

Hey Mags,

Taking a quick look at your team, you look pretty balanced. Your goal is to be the best in each of the 10 statistics -- Runs scored, Home Runs, Runs Batted In, Batting Average (hits per at bats), and Stolen Bases for the offense, and Wins, Strikeouts, Saves, Earned Run Average (runs per 9 innings) and WHIP (walks and hits per innings pitched). I'm not sure how unfamiliar you are with baseball, but basically you want the highest for every statistic except ERA and WHIP.

You can follow along how you're doing in the league by looking at the expanded league standings. Although you look pretty balanced, depending on injuries and up/down seasons, you may have some areas that are exceptionally strong and exceptionally weak. You can do a little statistical analysis to see how you want to "balance your scoresheet". You may want to forget some area where you fall waaaaay behind, or you may want to trade away some category where you're way ahead in exchange for a category that you're in a tight race for and can gain a lot of places.

Early on in the season, make sure to pay attention to the little notices that come up next to people's names. It'll tell you how people are doing. It'll also tell you if someone is injured -- for instance, you have AJ Burnett pitching, but he's on the DL (disabled list). You shouldn't have him pitching, and should put him on your team's disabled list. In this league, you can have one injured person that doesn't count against your team total. So while you wait for him to get healthy, you can add another player. When AJ is healthy, you can add him back to your active roster, and drop someone off your team. (By the way, he's a good player, so you should keep him and hope he heals fast -- it shouldn't be too long, click on the note next to his name to get an update).

You have people at different positions, and you also have a bench (BN). When players are on your bench, their stats don't count towards your record, no matter how well or poorly they play. So make sure your best players are playing. If players have a day off, you might want to put someone on the bench in their place, so you can score some extra stats.

It's good to look at rankings for players (rank/o-rank) statistics. Rank is their fantasy ranking for this season, o-rank is their fantasy ranking over the past year. In general, don't get rid of players ranked under 100. Also, look at your players' statistics over the past few years. You can look at your entire team's 2005 statistics, which will give you a good gauge of what they're capable of, and will give you an idea of the range that stats fall in.

If you want to change up your team, you can propose a trade to other people, or add people from the free agent list (and you'll have to make room on your roster by either dropping a player, or putting them on the disabled list if they're eligible by being injured and having a "DL" by their name. ) If you want to add a new player, click the "players" button, and you can look at who isn't on another person's team yet. This is really where the league is won and lost. You can sort by statistics, and see who is having an unexpectedly good season. Read the notes by the players that seem to stand out, and see what the suggestions are about their play. I think there's some tool somewhere (I forget where) that says who is popular to pickup and drop. That's a really good tool to see who has had a change for the better or worse.

That's a lot of info, and seems like a lot to run through. As you become familiar with things, though, it'll take maybe 10 minutes every other day to be competitive.

If you have specific questions, or want advice on trades and stuff, don't hesitate to ask!

jimski
Luxer

Post by jimski » Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:26 pm

I'll post the standings going into the All Star break since I'm sure Aqua and Hoodie are too modest and Fane and Smedz are too embarrassed. :oops: :wink:

1. Aqua's Asshats 66.5
2. Hoodie calls Oz. 58
3. Marauding Icepickers 53.5
4. A New Day 53
5. magpie 52
6. jimski 51
7. Wave's Jerks 49
8. The Keerberg Ballers 36
9. Wegie Bastids 31

hoodie
Burning Man

Post by hoodie » Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:02 pm

Congrats to Aqua on an awesome first half. Good luck all on the 2nd...

redrum
The GAME

Post by redrum » Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:36 pm

did you jokers actually create a fantasy mlb group...wish I saw the post before the season started. Would have shown all of you who is the boss.

I will check to see if you create a fantasy football league next month.

smedz
Lux Scotsman

Post by smedz » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:51 am

Shitebag I forgot all about this, entered the league, seeded my players for the draft, bought a new mac and forgot to copy my bookmark link. I had no recollection of it until Aqua reminded me last night. I believe 4 of my players are on the disbaled list.

second half of the season here we go !!!