What would you like to see for bots?

AI discussion, ideas, and SDK help.
Black Pope
Lux Exorcist

Post by Black Pope » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:11 pm

I wasn't kidding about an "oz" bot.

Drifter
Semiholy Rambler
Location: An undisclosed location... for reasons of security, and therefore... insecurity...

Post by Drifter » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:23 pm

I wasn't kidding about a bot to wipe out my credit card account, since Dustin has made it clear I cannot have my pony. Image

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:41 pm

Scad wrote:Logically speaking, vonibot, (and I think Bertrand, lord of logic, and GregM, prime minister, can back me up here) you'd have to make a "bots first" bot capable of suiciding. Isn't suiciding on someone against the same spirit that bots first tries to promote?

:D :D :D
He he... Scad, you have just proven that the bots-first doctrine is not self-consistent. Those that practice it will self-terminate in a puff of anti-logic.

vonibot
Lux Addict

Post by vonibot » Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:59 pm

Scad wrote:Logically speaking, vonibot, (and I think Bertrand, lord of logic, and GregM, prime minister, can back me up here) you'd have to make a "bots first" bot capable of suiciding. Isn't suiciding on someone against the same spirit that bots first tries to promote?

:D :D :D
Ha - nice try, but no.
The "voni-bot" would not suicide - that would be counter to it's mission to eliminating the other bots. Once the other bots were gone, "voni-bot" would go communist as a passive but protective response to the human players. It would, in effect, be self aware of it's own demise.[/i]

Sylocat
Lux Veteran

Post by Sylocat » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:28 pm

I still like the idea of bots being equipped with a special alternate strategy for maps with only one continent.

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:38 am

Can you use that .storagePut() feature to allow a bot to remember which human players killed them, or attacked them the most? Then it could adapt its strategy from one game to the next in response to the most "bot-unfriendly" humans. In other words, allow a bot to carry a grudge (just like we do).

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:04 pm

like the borg, all the bots would share info on who killed bots 1st the most, and they all would target those players. mwuhahahahahaha (sidious bot)

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:20 pm

Sylocat wrote:I still like the idea of bots being equipped with a special alternate strategy for maps with only one continent.
I personally was never interested in maps with no continents, so I made no effort to make Reaper understand them. Is there really a demand for this?

You will be happy to know that I now have an experimental version of Reaper that understands one-way connections. In your map The Traffic Maze at Floyd's Knob, he easily wins *all* his games against the other bots. I tried a game against him, and he almost got me!
AquaRegia wrote:Can you use that .storagePut() feature to allow a bot to remember which human players killed them, or attacked them the most? Then it could adapt its strategy from one game to the next in response to the most "bot-unfriendly" humans. In other words, allow a bot to carry a grudge (just like we do).
Sure, that could be done, but it's not a global memory, it remains local to a specific host.

I'm thinking of implementing a bad-Reaper mode, but I haven't decided yet. It would be an option that each host could enable or disable.

The bad-Reaper would respect clean kills, and the taking over of continents with weak borders. But if you half-kill him, or pop his well-defended borders before the end-game, he would remember and seek revenge for a few games. He would attempt to kill you even if you have no or few cards, and pop your borders.

octobclrnts
Luxer

Post by octobclrnts » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:33 pm

haha, Reaper is becoming such a threat. Great job Bertrand.

Sylocat
Lux Veteran

Post by Sylocat » Sat Mar 24, 2007 5:58 pm

Bertrand wrote:You will be happy to know that I now have an experimental version of Reaper that understands one-way connections. In your map The Traffic Maze at Floyd's Knob, he easily wins *all* his games against the other bots. I tried a game against him, and he almost got me!
Me and my big mouth... :oops:

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Sun Mar 25, 2007 8:37 pm

Sylocat wrote:Me and my big mouth... :oops:
Silly humans, always seeding the seeds of their own destruction.
octobclrnts wrote:haha, Reaper is becoming such a threat. Great job Bertrand.
Threat, or treat, or both?

What does your name mean? Whenever I see it, it reminds me of October meeting a concrete wall...

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:20 pm

Sylocat
Lux Veteran

Post by Sylocat » Fri Mar 30, 2007 10:03 pm

Bertrand wrote:
Sylocat wrote:I still like the idea of bots being equipped with a special alternate strategy for maps with only one continent.
I personally was never interested in maps with no continents, so I made no effort to make Reaper understand them. Is there really a demand for this?
Well, maybe not, but it still would be nice to not have him freeze the game every time you play him on one.

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Fri Mar 30, 2007 11:26 pm

Oh, that... This bug will be fixed for the next version. He still won't play very well, but at least he will be able to play.

Equary_
Luxer

Post by Equary_ » Wed May 02, 2007 10:25 pm

what would be realy nice is a user freinly interface like the map one that is already in place for new people and then new bot makers could move one and make more complex bots. i just started to look at making bot so i may not know what i'm talking about

Luxer

Post by guest » Wed May 02, 2007 10:38 pm

If its a map with a large number of countries Angry is fantastic. If the country count is low any continent logic will probably be irrelevant. Its the middle sized maps were finding choke points may be important that it gets questionable.

Luxer

Post by guest » Wed May 02, 2007 10:39 pm

Equary_ wrote:what would be realy nice is a user freinly interface like the map one that is already in place for new people and then new bot makers could move one and make more complex bots. i just started to look at making bot so i may not know what i'm talking about
Hmmm a WYSIWYG programming enviroment. Try lego mindstorms.

raccoon
Lux Newbie

Post by raccoon » Sun May 27, 2007 11:30 am

How about an EnemyNeighborIterator for convenience?

BDF
Luxer

Post by BDF » Tue May 29, 2007 9:09 am

A bot that will midlessly target reaper until they are both dead! :D

Sylocat
Lux Veteran

Post by Sylocat » Tue May 29, 2007 10:26 pm

guest wrote:Hmmm a WYSIWYG programming enviroment. Try lego mindstorms.
NOT a bad idea. :wink:

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Thu May 31, 2007 11:05 am

well, I was sort of thinking that a bot, who NEVER (or under extremely specific circumstances) attacks human income, would be nice. I am amazed at how suicidal bots can be, and unpredictable at times, throwing games off balance. a 'nice' bot, would serve many purposes.

now, it would be ok for that bot to attack a human in order to TAKE income...maybe the bot could actually ask for the human to farm 'so and so' continent. I would love to see it.

these bots would be fantastic for 4 or 5 human games, where most hosts play 'bots first' anyway. now, 4 of these bots might get a bit much, cause the humans would probably just kill eachother, until the bots are left, since they would never be hit. which is why the bots, in the end, would have to resort to hitting income.

to further this, perhaps the bot would be able to calculate, if it attacks one human, only attack it enough to create an equal army count, and income count, to the next humans. in end games, bots generally attack open , undefended income, which , of course is generally the income that does NOT need to be attacked. the stronger human, with defended income needs to be attacked. the bots generally just always throw the game to the strongest human, and maintain imbalance. hope that all makes sense. thnx

Sylocat
Lux Veteran

Post by Sylocat » Thu May 31, 2007 12:27 pm

kitty, try customizing a Bot-O-Matic, you should be able to do that.