Revenge Bot?

AI discussion, ideas, and SDK help.
GregM
Luxer

Post by GregM » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:01 pm

Bertrand wrote:I actually did that in Reaper, and originally I wanted him to learn from his online playing, but could not do it because there is no way to store stuff on the sillysoft server. What I did instead is make him learn locally on my machine by letting him play many thousands of games. I then took the "genes" and hard-coded them in the version I released to everyone.
Interesting! How much better was the evolved Reaper compared to the original?

Augustus Maximus
Lux Addict

Post by Augustus Maximus » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:16 pm

what kinda dumbass would actually use a vengebot though? Who would play with bots that purposely suicide a player? thats like trying to play chess with pinkbottomed baboons who thinks the point of the game is to knock over all the peices.

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:08 pm

what kinda dumbass would post a reply to a thread without reading it through ...?

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:09 pm

GregM wrote:Interesting! How much better was the evolved Reaper compared to the original?
I estimate this technique improved his win rate by 5-8% on the classic map. But the learning is very slow, and this has to be done for each card progression, and continent bonus increase % value. In the end I lost patience and compromised by always using a 10% continent increase.
Augustus Maximus wrote:what kinda dumbass would actually use a vengebot though? Who would play with bots that purposely suicide a player?
Yeah that is why I hesitate to make reaper vengeful. It might be fun a few times, but probably not long term. A bot that always does that will not earn respect from the human players, and will probably be bot-firsted all the time.

Perhaps the best solution is to make this behavior optional.

Sir Holo
Old Skool Lurker

Post by Sir Holo » Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:15 pm

Bertrand wrote:
Augustus Maximus wrote:what kinda dumbass would actually use a vengebot though? Who would play with bots that purposely suicide a player?
Yeah that is why I hesitate to make reaper vengeful. It might be fun a few times, but probably not long term. A bot that always does that will not earn respect from the human players, and will probably be bot-firsted all the time.

Perhaps the best solution is to make this behavior optional.
What if the bot was vengeful, but didn't hold a grudge? Vengeance could be limited to the next 3 or so games, or until the bot had "gotten back" at the player (if sooner). After that, it could "cool off" and revert to normal play behavior. Accompaied by a message in the chat window, of course.

Some humans seem to have some luck employing this strategy.

Drifter
Semiholy Rambler
Location: An undisclosed location... for reasons of security, and therefore... insecurity...

Post by Drifter » Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:32 am

blackj3sus wrote:what kinda dumbass would post a reply to a thread without reading it through ...?
Man, you post get funnier by the day. I'm glad I was not drinking milk when I read that.