Preach

AI discussion, ideas, and SDK help.
vonibot
Lux Addict

Preach

Post by vonibot » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:32 pm

I want to comission you to build a bot--named VONIBOT--who will only target other bots. Once it killed off the other bots, I would want VONIBOT to go communist--iso that human players would have the greatest advantage to destroy my namesake.

Of course, there would be a bunch of noobs who would unwittingly consider VONIBOT a threat--and I imagine some veterans would pine over the golden days, and yet others who would disagree with the concept if only for mentioning my name--but I could careless. I want a bot, VONIBOT, that lives and dies for the AI FIRST doctrine and insults other players while it helps them. I think you can do it. I have also come to the conclusion that AI First will only be accepted by example--clearly, my passion and writings on the topic have inspired some yet I find myself unable to play as often as I had once before.

So, here's the deal:
I am a pretty fucking smart guy when it comes to a lot of things--but code--I can't fucking handle code to save my life.
Name your price and I will seriously consider it. Please, Preach, mull it over.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Aug 12, 2004 11:41 pm

Why not have an open tender process?

I'll do it for $50.

rip
Luxer

Post by rip » Fri Aug 13, 2004 1:55 am

dustin wrote:Why not have an open tender process?

I'll do it for $50.
Hell, I'd do it for free....but after a few turns, vonibot would notice that I'd left some other algorhithms in there. Bots First. Vonibot Second. Just like the tee-shirt says

:twisted:

rip

Headache
Luxer

Post by Headache » Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:06 am

Lol, a bot is on the other side of a human, and the 'vonibot' anhilates the human just to get to the bot. That would be amusing

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest
Location: Sweden (capital of Denmark, an island in Norway, southern Europe)

Post by Preacherman » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:41 am

hehe - on the case voni! No price - just for kicks :wink:

vonibot
Lux Addict

Post by vonibot » Fri Aug 13, 2004 7:47 am

Preacherman wrote:hehe - on the case voni! No price - just for kicks :wink:
awesome! thanks, mate!

rob
Lux Addict

Post by rob » Sat Aug 14, 2004 3:34 am

marraige has killed vonibot's luxing days.

I will drink Jameson in remembrance.

vonibot
Lux Addict

Post by vonibot » Sat Aug 14, 2004 9:51 am

rob wrote:marraige has killed vonibot's luxing days.

I will drink Jameson in remembrance.
Can I join you?
:D

Kef
Lux Translator

Post by Kef » Sun Aug 15, 2004 6:26 pm

Still waiting for Kefourious ;)

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Sun Aug 15, 2004 7:35 pm

Dont think that will happen, not much use for a bot, who spends his game ruining other peoples continents, whithout successfully defending his own.. then stating every 3rd game or so "I'll Flood you IP", and ultimately responding to every post in the Forum....

Just kidding

:D

Kef
Lux Translator

Post by Kef » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:52 am

No, that would be a Mikeourious

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest
Location: Sweden (capital of Denmark, an island in Norway, southern Europe)

Post by Preacherman » Mon Aug 16, 2004 9:58 am

I am going to save myself some work and make Spamorious, and dedicate it to both of you.

el toro
Met Dustin

Post by el toro » Mon Aug 16, 2004 4:37 pm

hmmmmm.
Spamorious?

I guess it would answer anything in chat window with "TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE!" or maybe just "YOUR MOMMA!".

rip
Luxer

Post by rip » Mon Aug 16, 2004 5:49 pm

el toro wrote:hmmmmm.
Spamorious?

I guess it would answer anything in chat window with "TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE!" or maybe just "YOUR MOMMA!".
Sadly, while there is a sendChat() method, there is no corresponding readChatBox() method. So there is no way to taunt the bots. Which is a pity, because I'd like to be able to tune the bots behavior during the game by simply typing something into the chat box.

Say for example:

rip: Ravitar: Take out Vonibot
Ravitar (AI): Right, Boss! Vonibot is my new target!

vonibot
Lux Addict

Post by vonibot » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:26 pm

rip wrote:
el toro wrote:hmmmmm.
Spamorious?

Sadly, while there is a sendChat() method, there is no corresponding readChatBox() method. So there is no way to taunt the bots. Which is a pity, because I'd like to be able to tune the bots behavior during the game by simply typing something into the chat box.

Say for example:

rip: Ravitar: Take out Vonibot
Ravitar (AI): Right, Boss! Vonibot is my new target!

HA! HA!
And it would continue like this:

vonibot: you sonofabitch, Ravitar! AI FIRST MOFO!
Ravitar (AI): rip is a mofo. I just follow orders.
rip: hehe
vonibot: gawdamn you, Ravitar, your Papa, Preach, will be ashamed of your behaviour.
Ravitar (AI): Papa don't Preach...Madonna has great tits.
rip: huh huh..yeah..huh huh..get voni..yeah..huh huh!!
vonibot: what the fuck are you, you fucking coded mofo monster--stay away from our women!!!!!!!!
Ravitar: Suckers! Rip, Voni die! DIE! And then I'll fuck yo'mama! MUHWHAHAHA!

Another example why its AI First all the way...

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:30 pm

rip wrote:Sadly, while there is a sendChat() method, there is no corresponding readChatBox() method...
I have been planning to send all chat messages to the AIs via the sendMessage(blah blah) method in thr agent interface.

rip
Luxer

Post by rip » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:18 am

vonibot wrote: HA! HA!
Actually, no it wouldn't. Neither I, nor any of my bots, will resort to profanity to try to a) make a point, b) drown out the other guy's argument or c) ... well, for any reason. The last time I used profanity in anger was 'Fuck, that hurts,' just after breaking my ankle in two places. And even then it was not directed at the guy responsible, but at me.

Also, you imply that Ravitar has a pedigree that includes Nef. Not so. Ravitar is entirely my own work.

rip

vonibot
Lux Addict

Post by vonibot » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:19 pm

rip wrote:
Actually, no it wouldn't. Neither I, nor any of my bots, will resort to profanity to try to a) make a point, b) drown out the other guy's argument or c) ... well, for any reason. The last time I used profanity in anger was 'Fuck, that hurts,' just after breaking my ankle in two places. And even then it was not directed at the guy responsible, but at me.

Also, you imply that Ravitar has a pedigree that includes Nef. Not so. Ravitar is entirely my own work.

rip
lighten up, rip.

think of my fictional dialogue as a "Bots Gone Bad" skit--not to be taken seriously and certainly not meant to get you off...

rip
Luxer

Post by rip » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:50 pm

vonibot wrote:
rip wrote:

rip
lighten up, rip.

think of my fictional dialogue as a "Bots Gone Bad" skit--not to be taken seriously and certainly not meant to get you off...
I'm so light I float. In your case, I think you are applying the filter of your own attitude to my posts. Which you shouldn't do.

If it helps, precede everything I say with *shrug*.

*shrugs*

rip

vonibot
Lux Addict

Post by vonibot » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:12 am

rip wrote:I think you are applying the filter of your own attitude to my posts. Which you shouldn't do.
Hmmm--but are you not also filtering your own attitude toward my posts? I mean, is that not a pretty fundamental part of human interaction?

*shrugs*

apparently, not lighter than tuna...

rip
Luxer

Post by rip » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:47 am

vonibot wrote:
rip wrote:I think you are applying the filter of your own attitude to my posts. Which you shouldn't do.
Hmmm--but are you not also filtering your own attitude toward my posts? I mean, is that not a pretty fundamental part of human interaction?

*shrugs*

*shrugs*

possibly, but in your case I think you try to project your attitude, to overlay others' posts with your own attitude, thus causing others to think that you know what it is you are talking about.

Which is fine, so long as you don't try to put words into my (or Ravitar's) mouth. I wouldn't want some impressionable youngster thinking that I talk/act/think like you do, or that I actually said what you wrote in your parody.

Parody is a tricky skill, at best. It was a reasonable attempt, but it didn't work because it was so far removed from what others could reasonably expect me to say.

rip

vonibot
Lux Addict

Post by vonibot » Thu Aug 19, 2004 3:06 pm

rip wrote:
vonibot wrote:

*shrugs*

*shrugs*

possibly, but in your case I think you try to project your attitude, to overlay others' posts with your own attitude, thus causing others to think that you know what it is you are talking about.

Which is fine, so long as you don't try to put words into my (or Ravitar's) mouth. I wouldn't want some impressionable youngster thinking that I talk/act/think like you do, or that I actually said what you wrote in your parody.

Parody is a tricky skill, at best. It was a reasonable attempt, but it didn't work because it was so far removed from what others could reasonably expect me to say.

rip
GEEEZZZZZZZ
LIGHTEN up, rip!

no one-->>NO ONE<<--(not even for a second) thought that I was really trying to personify you or your bot with the words I wrote--hell, I doubt if anyone friggin' read the stupid post, let alone thought that it was anything other than vonibot being a smartass.
I am flattered to think that you think I possess such power of sway--but common mate...

You may **shrug** -- but I am shaking my head in disbelief.

rip
Luxer

Post by rip » Thu Aug 19, 2004 4:44 pm

vonibot wrote:[GEEEZZZZZZZ
LIGHTEN up, rip!
To quote Kryton, Red Dwarf Series III: Joke, Sir. Deadpan mode.

And you're probably right--the only two people reading these are me and you

:lol:

rip

rip
Luxer

Post by rip » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:14 pm

Oh yeah--I tried to trace the asshat who's been attacking you on the wiki. No luck--his IP deadends under traceroute, and the whois database doesn't include either his IP or an IP range that covers his IP. Sorry.

rip

vonibot
Lux Addict

Post by vonibot » Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:22 pm

rip wrote:Oh yeah--I tried to trace the asshat who's been attacking you on the wiki. No luck--his IP deadends under traceroute, and the whois database doesn't include either his IP or an IP range that covers his IP. Sorry.

rip
thanks, rip.

I know I can be an asshat and there are things I deserve--but someone is out of control.

btw, love the red drawf reference! deadpan mode indeed.
cheers mate! :D