Mapmakers Feedback Group (MFG)

Lux maps won't make themselves.
Kartofile
Luxer

Mapmakers Feedback Group (MFG)

Post by Kartofile » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:43 pm

The Mapmakers Feedback Group (MFG) is designed to give mapmakers helpful feedback when they request it.

Here's how it works:
  • 1. If you are an MFG member, you are expected to respond to every feedback request in this forum with "MFG" in its title. Feedback can be as brief or as elaborate as you like, but it should be constructive, friendly and helpful.

2. In return, as an MFG member, when you make a feedback request with "MFG" in the title, all other MFG members are expected to provide you with feedback.

3. Of course this does not prevent non-members from responding as well, nor does it prevent members from responding to requests for feedback from non-members. Only members, however, should make requests with "MFG" in the title.
Anyone interested in joining, please post here. This area will serve as a membership list.

(Update: Many MFG maps are beta maps. To view beta maps in the Plugin Manager, do the "/set showBetaMaps" thing.)
Last edited by Kartofile on Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Kartofile
Luxer

Post by Kartofile » Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:45 pm

KARTOFILE is IN. :D Anyone else?

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:52 pm

Great idea
Last edited by mbauer on Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:17 pm

i'm in... but only if i get to be samuel l. :wink:

i must add that i usually only give feedback when i see a map which i believe could be improved somehow and i don't give feedback on certain types of maps i don't like, such as geometric/abstract maps.
thats not to say i don't like a particular persons maps but just in general i don't enjoy playing them, so i avoid giving feedback on them.

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:04 am

Count me in as well!

Is there a time limit on when reviews should be given? 1 week? 1 month?

Should we give a score on different categories, or just comments?

my wife hates me
Lux Elder

Post by my wife hates me » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:53 pm

Does there need to be a specific group? I'm just playing devils advocate in the interest that the creation of a group shouldn't prevent people from just taking the time to;
1. Ask for feedback knowing that at least a few people will comment as most "forum regulars" usaully do.
2. Play and return feedback if asked, again, most of you do as far as I can tell from previous posts requesting feedback.

That being said...
I'll join if it is seen as a helpfull tool. And as long as there is the "constant" of constructivity (is that a real word?) involved in all feedback.

It helps that you don't see all the spamming, blasting, negativity, etc. in the map lab that goes on in the lux talk or silly soft pub forums.

Kartofile
Luxer

Post by Kartofile » Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:00 pm

blackj3sus wrote:i'm in... but only if i get to be samuel l. ;)
OK, but you have to be a constructive Samuel L, giving some kind of helpful response to every MFG feedback request, even if you don't particularly like the genre of map. ;)
SunTzu wrote:Is there a time limit on when reviews should be given? 1 week? 1 month?
That's a good question. For now, preferably within a week, definitely within a month. If there's a problem with people not giving feedback in a reasonable period of time then we can go ahead and set a time limit.
SunTzu wrote:Should we give a score on different categories, or just comments?
You can give any kind of feedback you want. Whatever feedback you think will be helpful. Whatever feedback style works for you. Whatever feedback you can give quickly without spending too much time on it.

Of course, people making requests can also ask for specific kinds of feedback (e.g. "Please tell me if the starting scenario seems balanced" or "Please tell me what you think of the graphics" or "Please give me a few ratings on a scale of 1-5") as long as they're not too demanding (e.g. "Please answer this list of 25 questions I have" :shock:).
my wife hates me wrote:Does there need to be a specific group? I'm just playing devils advocate in the interest that the creation of a group shouldn't prevent people from...
I know what you mean... Ideally, there wouldn't be any group. But with a ten-member group, for example, there are nine other people who have committed to responding to your request, which means you should get nine decent responses, which has never happened without a group as far as I know. So I think that's the value in forming a group: anybody who wants a good range of quality feedback can sign on at any time.

Looking at the forum today, I'm glad to see that we haven't prevented people outside the group from asking for feedback, and we haven't prevented people from responding to those requests. That's a good sign, I think.
my wife hates me wrote:It helps that you don't see all the spamming, blasting, negativity, etc. in the map lab that goes on in the lux talk or silly soft pub forums.
Yes! The civility and thoughtfulness of the Map LAB community is the main reason why I think this group might just work. :D

Sylocat
Lux Veteran

Post by Sylocat » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:12 pm

All right, sounds like a good club. Der Kitty is in.

my wife hates me
Lux Elder

Post by my wife hates me » Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:27 pm

Thoughtfull answers, count me in.

Sylocat
Lux Veteran

Post by Sylocat » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:47 pm

So far nobody's made any topics with "MFG" in the title...

octobclrnts
Luxer

Post by octobclrnts » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:12 pm

I'm in

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:00 pm

Is it okay if I request reviews for a map I made last November?

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:03 pm

surley

Black Pope
Lux Exorcist

Post by Black Pope » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:12 pm

Stop calling him Shirley. :wink:

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

MFG

Post by RandomGuy » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:48 am

I'll join. Just started playing recently and started creating maps last week. First one (that qualifies to be uploaded) should be on its way to the mapLAB right now. I'll post and ask for feedback once/if it becomes available.

Drifter
Semiholy Rambler
Location: An undisclosed location... for reasons of security, and therefore... insecurity...

Post by Drifter » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:06 am

ROFLMAO! RandomGuy just started playing, either a great sense of humor, or a creepy coincidence.

Jimmy_D
Luxer

Post by Jimmy_D » Wed May 02, 2007 4:31 pm

Im in.

Equary_
Luxer

Post by Equary_ » Wed May 02, 2007 9:57 pm

a new map maker her i'm in

enjoymoreradio
Lux Addict

Post by enjoymoreradio » Wed May 30, 2007 8:59 am

As a new cartographer, I'd like to join.