Strategy: When do you pop a continent?

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Strategy: When do you pop a continent?

Post by SunTzu » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:56 pm

Under what conditions do you pop a continent?

MinorKing
Lux Addict

Post by MinorKing » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:59 pm

Always!

jwd
kill kill kill™

Post by jwd » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:04 pm

rarely, as I usually focus on my own game and income and cards...

But..

1. If someone suddenly has taken an additional cont (during a kill) and only has "Christmas Lights" = 1s, 2s etc as defense.. (esp asia, eu, na) ..if defense on a border is less than the income from that cont for the following rnd...

2. Anytime eu is being defended by said "Christmas Lights".

3. If you pop mine (forgot that, ty snype)

4. if you even look sideways at Japan...

Shrug.. Usually too focused on building my own armies to worry about someone else's weak borders... If I actually have time/armies to spare on this (and Japan), I've already won... or "playing with my food"..

;-)

jwd
Last edited by jwd on Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

3DA
Luxtopian

Post by 3DA » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:11 pm

3DA makes a note to never play next to Minor King.

Sun, I think that's far too broad a question to answer succinctly. I think the answer depends on what map you're playing, what the settings are, and what state both you and your opponent(s) are in. Does the person have 5 cards and are they going to come roaring back and crush you? Is there another huge opponent on the board? Does the other player have income somewhere else on the board? Do you? There are plenty of factors that I think you'd need to specify before that question gets answered.

That's my take on it, anyway. Thanks for the chance to talk about it.

SnyperEye
Anti-Holy Assgrabber

Post by SnyperEye » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:11 pm

OLD SCHOOL

1. I will pop your continent to take over your continent.

2. I will pop your continent if I dont have a continent.

3. I will pop your continent if you pop mine.

4. I will pop your continent to get through to kill someone on the otherside.

5. I will pop your continent if you are weak.

6. I will pop your continent if its not protected.

7. I will pop your continent to get a card if needed.

8. I will pop your continent if you have multiple continents

9. I will pop your continent if it means my survival

10. I will pop your continent because I can do that.

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:23 pm

3DA wrote:Sun, I think that's far too broad a question to answer succinctly. I think the answer depends on what map you're playing, what the settings are, and what state both you and your opponent(s) are in. Does the person have 5 cards and are they going to come roaring back and crush you? Is there another huge opponent on the board? Does the other player have income somewhere else on the board? Do you? There are plenty of factors that I think you'd need to specify before that question gets answered.
That was part of the question. Under what conditions...

For example: you would pop a continent if it was a 4,6,8,10,15 classic game, the continent was defended by less than 2 times it's bonus, the player had less than 3 cards, and the player wasn't GK because you can't stand his yelling.

General K
Lux KAPITALIST

Post by General K » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:26 pm

SunTzu wrote:For example: you would pop a continent if it was a 4,6,8,10,15 classic game, the continent was defended by less than 2 times it's bonus, the player had less than 3 cards, and the player wasn't GK because you can't stand his yelling.

GK is not yelling anymore...

Big Will E Style
RAW Dogger

Post by Big Will E Style » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:54 pm

It's funny what defines Old and New School in Lux.........a few months make such a huge difference.

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty
Location: on the playground is where i spent most of my days, chillin' all nice and relaxing all cool and

Post by Red Beard » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:04 pm

As 3DA stated, all such moves are subject to the game at hand... that being said, i will give my own personal imput on when and when i do not pop conts. in classic

Beginning game.

Pretty much the only conts. I would ever pop before first cash would be Euro, NA, or Africa (except of coarse as jwd said they have two conts. at once).

-----I would generally only pop these conts before first cash if:

1.) they have sissy borders (0=always, 1, or *MAYBE* 2 depending)

2.) they have enough remaining armies that your hit won't leave them crippled and an easy meal for for the next person to cash (21-22-23 and up)

3.) I can afford to do so and not weaken myself significantly... and if my OWN borders are strong enough to take a hit the next turn with a decent chance of holding up.

4.) it's convenient to do so (i already have men sitting on their weak border and don't have to go half way across the border just to smite them)

------I will almost always pop a cont in the early game IF:

1.) they have christmas lights because they were greedy and took their cont too soon with out farming any of their other men around the surrounding board (not just my cont.)

2.) they ate several of *my* men (2-3) to take a cont too soon, leaving themselves with sissy borders and me with out a chance to use those spare armies to take a card.

3.) they are continually building in a cont that i am trying to take with out any signs of movement leaving me with the suspicion that they are keeping me weak for long enough that they can kill me at first opportunity.

4.) they are being extremely abusive and bullying in game chat

5.) if they hit me (unless i've done any of the above)

End game

I will pop conts. to:

-in a 3 player stand off, sometimes I will try to bait a more wreckless player to make a kill by putting one player JUUUUSSSTTT with in reach of a possible kill with a strong likely of failing. You have to be careful though especially with large numbers where the attackers bonus goes a lot farther. Usually knocking the victims armies dow to maybe 5 under the the person who you're trying to bait leaving them with 4 SHINY cards and a good chance for the other player to benefit, should do it. ***WARNING*** if this fails you're likely to be called a major asshat and chewed out from now until infinitum. Also you're likely to get hit once the 4 card player cashs.

-I will also pop a cont of a much larger opponent with a very large army, in order to hide from them (having one really large army hidden in a narrow spot where your opponent can only attack you with ONE of it's surrounding smaller armies, could buy you some time until you can cash.

-If I think that the extra bonus would allow that player to kill me.

That's all for now, sorrry if there's a lack of clarity, but i'm now in a a slight rush.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:27 pm

Any answer to this question that doesn't talk about % continent increase is pointless IMHO.

In 0% increase games I will very rarely pop a continent.

In high % increase games I will very often pop weakly defended continents.

Scad
Lux Elder

Post by Scad » Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:03 pm

As a rule, I will not pop a cont except for a kill or a pass-through. In high % I'll hit a cont if not well-defended, and in lower % if I've nothing better to do...

mud
n00b educator

Post by mud » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:57 am

As a rule I will always pop a continent if its held by MinorHack

Drifter
Semiholy Rambler
Location: An undisclosed location... for reasons of security, and therefore... insecurity...

Post by Drifter » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:28 am

Only when the pin is sharp enough...

smedz
Lux Scotsman

Post by smedz » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:14 am

It's not so muc case of "when would you pop a continent", much more "when wouldn't you"

I will always pop if/when the defence is lesser than the bonus, so long as my border will remain defended by a force bigger than my opponent can muster.

I will pop a continent with a larger defence than bonus, if the likely balance of power will shift in my favour by doing so.

I will pop a continent if doing so strategically improves my chances of holding my own continent. I would much rather defend Europe from Greenland etc etc.

I do not understand the point of assisting ones opponents to grow their forces, when you will ultimately have to defeat the large force, the only reason to respect borders being to protect one's own frailty.

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:13 am

djdee is so glad the English are not a war with the Scotts bastards anymore. Newcastle would be popped every day.

:)

KingPatrick
Alpha Male

Post by KingPatrick » Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:55 am

I would pop a continent if would end this thread, now.

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:05 am

djdee would pop a continent if it would help KP with his grammar/typing

KingPatrick
Alpha Male

Post by KingPatrick » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:12 am

∞ KingPatrick would pop a continent if it would help djdee with his capitalization and punctuation. ∞

8)

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Wed Nov 07, 2007 6:15 am

:wall:

3DA
Luxtopian

Post by 3DA » Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:01 am

I'll usually pop them if they're getting too red and you can see a little white head - you know, just to get rid of the unsightliness of it.

We are talking about zits, right?

Frost
alphabet soup

Post by Frost » Wed Nov 07, 2007 12:00 pm

Whenever gk gets one before me ill hit the one he took :)

General K
Lux KAPITALIST

Post by General K » Wed Nov 07, 2007 1:55 pm

General K keeps his Kaps hidden!

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:19 pm

you all have interesting hypothosis but...

you pop a country:
WHENEVER YOU FEEL LIKE IT!!

holyloki
Luxer

so much depends

Post by holyloki » Thu Nov 08, 2007 4:25 am

1. Have I slept?

2. Am I drunk/high?

3. Who's shit talking in the chat?

4. If it's you, do I think you're clever?

5. Have you asshatted me or other players for no reason several games in a row?

6. How soon do I have to go to work?

7. Are you drunk/high?

8. What time is it, anyway?

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:11 am

There are some great answers here, thanks!

I do have a couple of follow-up questions though...
SnyperEye wrote:I will pop your continent if you are weak
How do you know when someone is weak enough to pop one of their continents?

Smedz wrote:I will pop a continent with a larger defence than bonus, if the likely balance of power will shift in my favour by doing so.
How do you know if it will shift the balance of power in your favor?

Cuarto
Lux Wunderkind

Post by Cuarto » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:26 am

SunTzu, I am mainly a Deux player so this does not apply when I play Classic.

I will pop a border when the person I am attacking cannot pop mine back; this begins the process of killing them (for cards and income; it also just takes one more person out of the game, a strategy that does NOT work in Classic). I will not pop the border of two opponents in one turn unless I plan on killing both of them in that turn.

Some people get really angry because it's so aggressive, but it is typically a guideline I apply against all people I play.

However, it is very important to know your opponents. There are many people who I KNOW would pop me if I popped somebody. In that case, I would not pop the person's borders because my borders would be popped in return, though maybe not by the person I attacked.

I NEVER pop a border just to "get things moving."

If it looks like a marathon is beginning, and I am the strongest player, I will pop the weakest player to begin to kill him, sometimes just full out kill him, but I will NOT take his income once he's dead. I just marathon if the armies and income are basically equal.

Also, you know it will shift the balance of power in your favor if you gain armies off the person's cards or if you can gain income without the risk of being popped back. The income is not worth it if you will become so weak you are killed within the next few turns; however, if you will survive for a while, the extra income will build up, and you will make up for lost armies in the kill that you didn't regain for cards.
Though, I guess that sort of describes when to kill a person.

shrug

smedz
Lux Scotsman

Post by smedz » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:49 am

SunTzu wrote:There are some great answers here, thanks!
Smedz wrote:I will pop a continent with a larger defence than bonus, if the likely balance of power will shift in my favour by doing so.
How do you know if it will shift the balance of power in your favor?
Lets say the opposing player is holding NA and has just cashed, I know if I pop him, I'll be able to hold my own continent and he wont be able to regain his, thus he will in all likelihood miss 2 or 3 continent bonuses, if the difference is in or around this level, I will make the move. Furthermore, if % increases are involved (especially in marathons) popping a continent just after cash can have disastrous implications for the recipient. Just ask Zod he has experienced my Hammer more than most!

Mike
Lux Townie

Re: Strategy: When do you pop a continent?

Post by Mike » Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:43 pm

SunTzu wrote:Under what conditions do you pop a continent?
I like to have the lights low and good music playing in the background - sometimes after a good meal.

I recall the first time.... as if it were yesterday... it was something I had been looking forward to for a while.

I was nervous at first - not being experienced, I was not 100% sure of the etiquette - as I suspect you are feeling now Sun - having to ask this question - or is it 'for a friend'? - doesnt matter... where was I? Oh yeah....

...so it was something I had been looking forward to, I knew that many of the other players were doing it - although like me, others were still waiting for that perfect time...

Truth is - I don't know if there is a perfect time. You see Sun, the first time is the scariest... who knows what the ramifications are??? Does that really matter - after all there is 'Risk' involved - but don't let that stuff get in your head...

Just find one and do it. You will find out like I did - that it becomes easier after that - to pretty soon you could be like our friend Smedz here - self proclaimed habitual 'popper' - but things worked out for him - he found true love through Lux - not a bad side effect of online gaming if you ask me.

Sure you could wait for that special 'Asian' opportunity to come a along - no one would blame you then - it is tempting - one could argue that it is begging to be 'popped' - .... but an opportunity like that could take a lifetime to find - I mean, it doesn't happen every day.

My advice is this: the next time the music is right - your confidence is up, and you feel like a little 'poppin - down under' - then just do what feels good - afterall, it's natural - this is the game of world domination. :)

jwd
kill kill kill™

Re: Strategy: When do you pop a continent?

Post by jwd » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:08 pm

Mike wrote:
SunTzu wrote:Under what conditions do you pop a continent?
I like to have the lights low and good music playing in the background - sometimes after a good meal.

I recall the first time.... as if it were yesterday... it was something I had been looking forward to for a while.

I was nervous at first - not being experienced, I was not 100% sure of the etiquette - as I suspect you are feeling now Sun - having to ask this question - or is it 'for a friend'? - doesnt matter... where was I? Oh yeah....

...so it was something I had been looking forward to, I knew that many of the other players were doing it - although like me, others were still waiting for that perfect time...

Truth is - I don't know if there is a perfect time. You see Sun, the first time is the scariest... who knows what the ramifications are??? Does that really matter - after all there is 'Risk' involved - but don't let that stuff get in your head...

Just find one and do it. You will find out like I did - that it becomes easier after that - to pretty soon you could be like our friend Smedz here - self proclaimed habitual 'popper' - but things worked out for him - he found true love through Lux - not a bad side effect of online gaming if you ask me.

Sure you could wait for that special 'Asian' opportunity to come a along - no one would blame you then - it is tempting - one could argue that it is begging to be 'popped' - .... but an opportunity like that could take a lifetime to find - I mean, it doesn't happen every day.

My advice is this: the next time the music is right - your confidence is up, and you feel like a little 'poppin - down under' - then just do what feels good - afterall, it's natural - this is the game of world domination. :)
:smt044 Image:smt044

I nominate this post for funniest of the week and Hall Of Fame!!!

ROFLMHWPCAO!

jwd

KingPatrick
Alpha Male

Post by KingPatrick » Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:43 pm

I'd like to warn you, Sun, that even though you start out popping a continent or two, WHICH IS FINE, it is known to lead to harder things.

After a while, popping continents just doesn't satisfy anymore, and then users are known to start TAKING WHOLE continents. From there, many have gone down the dark road of even taking whole PLAYERS out, merely for their cards!

I just give you a heads up, because I knew a guy once that got SO hooked, he felt like he had to take over the entire WORLD, every game!

If you ever get to that point, man, there's no coming back.

8)