scaluxtrix

Lux maps won't make themselves.
qFox
Luxer

scaluxtrix

Post by qFox » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:09 am

preach did you create this map?
damn its good :D i noticed it at the screenshot page (its quite buried in the plugin manager)

well, its fun to watch the bots go at it...
why not create a second version, one that actually has continents, and is larger (in countries) then this one? maybe create a 2 lane road? :)

qFox
Luxer

Post by qFox » Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:16 am

on an unrelated note, between pixie, angry, (my own) almostboring, yakool, cluster and another angry bot, pixie has a flawless victory of 10 games or so... remarkable.

dustin is pixie the only bot that uses the "newer" check thats not bidirectional?
i mean, do the other bots think each country can go two ways, where it can only go one way, and pixie doesnt?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sun Jan 09, 2005 8:47 am

I think that all the bots use the proper direction check now.

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest
Location: Sweden (capital of Denmark, an island in Norway, southern Europe)

Post by Preacherman » Sun Jan 09, 2005 9:52 am

Glad you like it qFox! It is pretty old now, and the intention at the time was to actually have an inner and an outer track, with a couple of crossover points the same as the original Scalextric had. I just never got around to it, but if the interest is there I can sort out a v2.

qFox
Luxer

Post by qFox » Sun Jan 09, 2005 5:08 pm

yeah. i think its a great bot tester.
when you only put in pixie and evil pixies the games can be very long, and you'll notice the bots wont "see" a landgrabbinb opportunity.

Sir Holo
Old Skool Lurker

ScaLuxtric-style

Post by Sir Holo » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:26 pm

Wow, it's nice to see that someone else is a fan of ScaLuxtric! I was really intrigued and excited by it, and thanks to the ease of map-making in the most recent versions of Lux, it's been easy to make a few along the same lines. Just experiments so far. Those one-way borders have a lot of potential (along with taxes and nested continents like in Castle).

Having one-way borders along with continents can make for some hair-raising play, and agonizing decisions, as you may have to suddenly abandon territory that was a hard fought win earlier. :D

Preach, if you're going to make one, please let me know. I've been thinking of making one like a US highway interchange (cloverleaf), or maybe a traffic circle or train switchyard. I won't have time to work on one for a month or so, but don't want to duplicate.

Most people, unfortunately, don't play such maps all that much, tending to prefer classic. :( Nuts to them.

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest
Location: Sweden (capital of Denmark, an island in Norway, southern Europe)

Post by Preacherman » Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:10 am

I'm on the case 8)

Edit to add : it won't be a brand new map, it'll be an upgrade to ScaLuxtric with an additional inner or outer track and some cross overs, and continents.

If you want to do some railways or highway ones go for it, it won't be treading on any toes - the more maps the merrier!

Sir Holo
Old Skool Lurker

Post by Sir Holo » Fri Jan 14, 2005 10:14 am

Preacherman wrote:If you want to do some railways or highway ones go for it, it won't be treading on any toes - the more maps the merrier!
Will do. Been playing round just sketching out the playability possibilities so far. It's all about topology. Will have to figure out how to hang an attractive interface (board graphic) on it afterward. Was thinking Escher for a while, but dropped that. but like I said, new job, so it won't happen for a month or so, though. Hopefully ScaLuxtric 2 will be available by then, and I can check out how games play out.

Oh, and qFox, just let me know when you're up for a game on ScaLuxtric. I'll probably be hosting much of the day Monday (US EST).

qFox
Luxer

Post by qFox » Sat Jan 15, 2005 5:31 am

yeah sure.

be nice to check out a real game. the bots dont seem to really play this map well.