R.I.P. Classic

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

R.I.P. Classic

Post by AquaRegia » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:58 pm

It's Saturday night, and there is not a SINGLE PERSON in the top 40 who didn't get there by playing Deux Biohazard... including me.

Is Classic officially dead? It seems so, at least as far as the medal chase is concerned. I won't cry, but I will drift off of the seeded list - I just don't enjoy Bio that much.

*Manimal
Lux Cutie Pet

Post by *Manimal » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:08 pm

Unfortunately, Aqua, I fear you are correct. Biohazard deux just simply
A) has more players that commit to playing it and
B) has games that go 2-2.5X faster than classic games on average

When combined, these two elements more or less make Bio duex the place for the raw chase

Proposed solution to keep classic the place for RAW:

1) play classic with the following settings:0% cont increase: 4,6,8,10,15,20 card values, and 8-12 second turn timers

2) Play 5,10,15,20,25,30 card value classic, with 10+% cont bonus increase

westsidekilla6
Luxer

Post by westsidekilla6 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:14 pm

Thats a good thing right?

Eice
Frozen One

Post by Eice » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:34 pm

Why is it a good thing for the original to die out?

That would be like you taking a break, only to come back and find another player is westsidekilla6 and more people know him than you... and your name has been shattered and tossed into oblivion. Nobody wants that... neither does an inanimate object such as the classic and original version of risk.

Lux is online Risk... with custom maps. That's cool, but when the custom maps take over the basic principles, I think that kinda takes away from something.

It's like it's gone from Sillysoft, to now just being Sill. It lost a good chunk of what it stood for.

Course, I could be wrong, and dustin could have made Lux specifically to become something different than Risk that had the same basic principles... in which case, I guess hurray... but I doubt that be the case.

Lantern
Lux Superhero

Post by Lantern » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:41 pm

Lantern is always impressed with Eice's insight and Manimal's observations

Long Live Classic

murmur

westsidekilla6
Luxer

Post by westsidekilla6 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:42 pm

Eice wrote:Why is it a good thing for the original to die out?

That would be like you taking a break, only to come back and find another player is westsidekilla6 and more people know him than you... and your name has been shattered and tossed into oblivion. Nobody wants that... neither does an inanimate object such as the classic and original version of risk.

Lux is online Risk... with custom maps. That's cool, but when the custom maps take over the basic principles, I think that kinda takes away from something.

It's like it's gone from Sillysoft, to now just being Sill. It lost a good chunk of what it stood for.

Course, I could be wrong, and dustin could have made Lux specifically to become something different than Risk that had the same basic principles... in which case, I guess hurray... but I doubt that be the case.
Well Eice that is true but for me its a good thing. I love bio.

Eice
Frozen One

Post by Eice » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:45 pm

westsidekilla6 wrote:
Eice wrote:Why is it a good thing for the original to die out?

Well Eice that is true but for me its a good thing. I love bio.

Are you incapable of loving two things?

Only the love of a woman (or man, in the opposite case), should reside in a single object... the love of a material object can be scattered however far is needed.

I enjoy bio as well... I find it amusing when I get an incredible start and I challenge myself to win against all of the other players assuming they team against my start. I also love Classic, but that's because that is where I got Lux from... searching for online "Risk"... not "Bio".....

Note: apologies for the semi-rude sounding beginning

westsidekilla6
Luxer

Post by westsidekilla6 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:54 pm

I actually don't like classic that much becuase it seems 90% of the time i cant cash 4. Then whenever I have someone lined up they cash 3 happened 4 times in one game my luck is horrible in classic.

Eice
Frozen One

Post by Eice » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:05 am

Really? That's very interesting... I did not know that your luck was so horrible.

I'll let you in on a secret... check out *Mani's topic about the dice... look at the stats... check most people's profiles and you'll see an -average- 30% "Win" rate. Those people that kill you, don't necessarily win, and those people that do kill you/win... will likely lose the next game they play, and if not the next one, then certainly the one after that... unless you're really good or playing with really new players way below your skill level >.>

There's luck in bio as well... if you get the bad start, bleh you're gone. If you get the good start, they'll team and try to bring you down... if they don't, then it's just a modified version of Risk without any new political aspects.

EDIT: When you look at win percentage, also look at average place. I have a 15.51% win rate, but I also have a 2.7 average placing... which (pardon me if this sounds kinda awkward... I know it will) is better than a lot of people that have a 30+% win rate. That is because the style I play... is to have fun. I don't play aggressively and thrust myself into situations that are unstable. When I go for the kill, it's either botched and given to me or I've done well enough that the kill is certain and not bordering on whether the person moves left or right. That's not saying I don't screw it up quite often, but I play a bit more defensively, which is what leads to longer survival (the percentage also being affected by something quite unique, which is for a different day).

So, it really is not that hard to get the average placing like I have, and also get a 30+% win rate. The only thing is, you have to be more defensive. They say the attacker has the advantage, but that's only for dice. In terms of kills and wins, the attacker has the advantage only if he's playing all the right cards. Watch and wait... you may be accused of not playing to win, but you know what... screw 'em. If you want to play and have fun, then play defensive, don't thrust yourself into an unstable kill zone, wait for the right moment, and take your wins and loses as unique for each and every one of them.

To give you an example, I don't play as much anymore (for multiple reasons), but when I do play... even now after all the games I've played, my heart still pounds every single time I get a win... no matter what. That's because each and every win and loss is unique. Learn from everything and you will fail to see nothing.

Aside from the fact that all that sounded weird... it worked for me, and had I been a bit more driven in raw, I no doubt would have been higher seeding, higher win%, etc... but for me, it's all about playing for fun. Perhaps you should try playing like that... it really is a good stress reliever as opposed to a stress creator when you really do it.
Last edited by Eice on Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

westsidekilla6
Luxer

Post by westsidekilla6 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:09 am

Well early in the week I stay away from bio. On sundays though Gk para sometimes dj hugo santa qwert everyone then starts dont matter i've won with the worst start lost with the best start. Though we did team a Gk start once which was funny watching him get mad. :)

Eice
Frozen One

Post by Eice » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:23 am

/sigh

I'm going to have to ask... was that an attention grabber? It was funny watching him get mad? That's a shitty way of looking at it :/

If you think it's funny to see someone get mad, then let someone take a crack at'cha until you get mad... trust me, you won't be laughing then. So why is it funny when someone else is mad... because you caused it. I'm going to go on this pretty good hunch and say that is because it was/is an attention grabber.

West, I've been watching your posts (mainly because they're scattered to high heaven all over the forums... plastering essentially anything and everything, relevant or not...) and I've got to say that if you really were suspended, you might want to tone it down on the forums... you should anyways, but much more so now that you're suspended. If you aren't allowed to play Lux, but you're screaming bloody murder in the forums, that really doesn't look too good when determining "Should dustin let him back... has he changed"... course that again is speculation, but I'd say it's pretty close to the mark.

But, if you love bio... why do you stay away from it early in the week? Hm? What do you play, if anything? As for when everyone plays, what does that have to do with anything?

That is definitely not a defensive attitude... that's an aggressive "I'm going to take what I want and scream while doing so." and that's likely why you're getting the bad "luck" a lot of the time. There is a MASSIVE difference between a person attacking a random player and a person attacking a random player that they have a slight distaste for.

You continuing to act as you do in the forums creates more and more negative vibes for yourself. Your rep might be alright on some lists, but I gotta say, judging by what I've read... if I were a lot of people, I sure as hell would pop your continent defended by borders of 2 (or whatever the situation called for) as opposed to the other random player to the north of me..... why? Because I dislike the way you speak, and even if I don't consciously think about it, I am taking out my dislike of you in the form of a game that I know will cause you to get upset... you see where I'm going?

It's a really easy decision to make, albeit not necessarily easy to act on depending on your personality. Either take the attention (even though it's not the good attention a lot of the time) and suffer the "penalties" that come with negativity ... or let go of attention, and play the game by making friends and understanding the politics of the game. I guarantee you, the later of the two will get you a lot further.

EDIT: Another edit... pardon my chatty nature tonight (if I seem to be blabbering on just a tad too much)... just one of those days.

*Manimal
Lux Cutie Pet

Post by *Manimal » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:04 am

When I get to the core of what you're saying, Eice, mixed in with your speeches, it still is wise :wink:

Eice
Frozen One

Post by Eice » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:12 am

*Manimal wrote:When I get to the core of what you're saying, Eice, mixed in with your speeches, it still is wise :wink:
Yea, I have a tendency to be a bit long winded on occasion >.>

Thank you for the compliment though, I was just a bit chatty tonight... which is why I was again, long winded ><

Mushy Peas
Luxer

Post by Mushy Peas » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:16 am

Classic will be back. I still play classic, and there's still a lot to be said for a gentler pace of game, better chat, plus it's a harder game to master. For that reason, I will continue to play it and enjoy it, even if it does infuriate me.

People just play bio for the same reason they eat fast food. Quick, cheap, instant gratification.

westsidekilla6
Luxer

Post by westsidekilla6 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:48 am

Ecie I half understood that, I think.to answer that one question somewhere in there why I dont play bio in the week. Well why I dont is becuase theres like a bunch of noobs running around just randomly attacking suciding ect I dont know why but I have never got through a whole day in bio early in the week without getting sucided 4 or 5 times

Scad
Lux Elder

Post by Scad » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:22 am

So... Bio makes you fat and gives you heart disease?

MaW1028
Lux Hugger

Post by MaW1028 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:31 am

westsidekilla6 wrote:Ecie I half understood that, I think.to answer that one question somewhere in there why I dont play bio in the week. Well why I dont is becuase theres like a bunch of noobs running around just randomly attacking suciding ect I dont know why but I have never got through a whole day in bio early in the week without getting sucided 4 or 5 times

Look guys! He's using punctuation!!!! Yay for 3astside!!!

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:54 am

Could the Castle tournament be a factor? A lot of us involved play classic and are competing on Saturday instead of in the medal chase.

Lantern
Lux Superhero

Post by Lantern » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:57 am

Nimrod7 wrote:Could the Castle tournament be a factor? A lot of us involved play classic and are competing on Saturday instead of in the medal chase.

That is a very very good point nimmy.. I know that I am not playing as much because on Tues, Thurs, and Sat I am in the Castle room.

westsidekilla6
Luxer

Post by westsidekilla6 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:18 pm

Lantern wrote:
Nimrod7 wrote:Could the Castle tournament be a factor? A lot of us involved play classic and are competing on Saturday instead of in the medal chase.

That is a very very good point nimmy.. I know that I am not playing as much because on Tues, Thurs, and Sat I am in the Castle room.
Same here except last week I couldn't. :(

VivaLosChichos
Noobie 4 Life!

Post by VivaLosChichos » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:26 pm

I will always love classic. I love waking up on a sat/sun morning and sitting down to play some good games of classic with some quality players. Its almost like waking up on a christmas morning!

I don't get excited to play bio as much, because its mostly about luck, and not strategy. But bio games can go faster, therefore it is sometimes fun to play there for a quick game or if your head hurts a little..

Do my eyes deceive me? West, you're using periods! Nice man.

jwd
kill kill kill&#153;

Post by jwd » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:41 pm

Classic, is well, classic.

We've seen other maps compete for the crown of most important to the medal chase before... MOTW, Duex, Hawaii..... They come and go, but Classic always comes back.

Been there, done that..

Wake me up when people are asking again cause Bio-Castle is the busiest raw whore town.

:roll:

jwd

*Manimal
Lux Cutie Pet

Post by *Manimal » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:44 pm

Eice wrote: I also have a 2.7 average placing... which (pardon me if this sounds kinda awkward... I know it will) is better than a lot of people that have a 30+% win rate. That is because the style I play... is to have fun.

Well dude..pardon me is this sounds kinda awkward...I know it will.. but perhaps the reason your average place is so high is because you played the map Hawaii with your "friends" over 7000 times.
Last edited by *Manimal on Sun Feb 17, 2008 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mushy Peas
Luxer

Post by Mushy Peas » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:52 pm

*Manimal wrote:
Eice wrote: I also have a 2.7 average placing... which (pardon me if this sounds kinda awkward... I know it will) is better than a lot of people that have a 30+% win rate. That is because the style I play... is to have fun.

Well dude..pardon me is this sounds kinda awkward...I know it will.. but perhaps the reason your percentage is so high is because you played the map Hawaii with your "friends" over 7000 times.

Unlike a dog to be bitchy? :smt047

Digital Jihad
MOTW Master

Post by Digital Jihad » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:44 pm

The fact is that if you people really cared about the game then you would play Classic all week regardless, but obviously its about the raw since everyone plays Bio despite spending hours complaining about how its an inferior game. Just accept that your a raw whore and move on.

Eice
Frozen One

Post by Eice » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:52 pm

*Manimal wrote:

Well dude..pardon me is this sounds kinda awkward...I know it will.. but perhaps the reason your average place is so high is because you played the map Hawaii with your "friends" over 7000 times.

It's quite alright, I understand. Been there, heard that, responded to it before :)

Regardless of how it seems, that is not why it's there. It may be a point, but if you saying I manipulated it somehow, then perhaps I would have a higher win percentage. My games were the exact same as everyone else's, save for the fact that they were played on a smaller map... does that matter? Nope... plenty of people have the precise same statistics that I do. The only thing that was altered and different from a normal person's page, is that my games were played on Hawaii (which I STILL stand behind and claim to be an alright map that can have it's good points just like any other and isn't just a bs map) and they went faster... not better, not any different... just faster.
EDIT2: Also, in my defense, I did -not- play 7000 games with my "friends" (which I'm curious why it was put in quotes), I played 7000 games of the map Hawaii. The difference is that I simply like the map Hawaii and the games do go faster, but just like any other map, I could have substituted in any other map, and played the game just the same and likely ended up with the same statistics. If you did not already know, there was another player who also played Hawaii as the vast majority of his games... it is irrelevant. Just a map, nothing good, nothing bad. I did play a number of games with my friends, however it should be noted that on my most common opponents, their names do not show up 7000 times... which is an easy way to see that I did not just spam 7000 games with my friends. The most common opponent on my list is one of my friends, with a little over 800 games played... the 2nd on down being people such as Alexander Great, pcristov, General K, etc... yes 7000 of my games were Hawaii, but 1. it didn't earn me anything, I just enjoy the map and 2. that is completely irrelevant to the situation being discussed, as had the games been somehow different than normal, I would have gotten a much higher win percentage or a much lower win percentage... not 2.70.

EDIT:
@Digital Jihad: I do not play Bio when I do play... I play it occasionally, but it's not my favorite and if you look at a lot of other people, they also play different maps. It may be close to say that "many" people that are "in the upper rankings" play bio more than Classic, but not everyone. Don't take that the wrong way by the way, I may have misunderstood what you were pointing at, in which case disregard this part XD

Dominator
The Man

Post by Dominator » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:11 pm

Classic will return...

westsidekilla6
Luxer

Post by westsidekilla6 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:25 pm

I don't know about that Dom.

Drifter
Semiholy Rambler
Location: An undisclosed location... for reasons of security, and therefore... insecurity...

Post by Drifter » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:33 pm

Dommie, I think you have a shadow...

westsidekilla6
Luxer

Post by westsidekilla6 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:51 pm

:twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: [/i]