Mafia VIII Signup

Of the people, by the people, for the people, for whatevs.
Preacherman
Semiholy Priest
Location: Sweden (capital of Denmark, an island in Norway, southern Europe)

Mafia VIII Signup

Post by Preacherman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:30 am

I'll run a "back to basics" game if anyone is interested (maybe with one or two of the less important new roles thrown in just for fun) seeing as it looks as though the next one is going to be a complicated one. Special rules :

1. Days and nights will run for 24 hours, or until all votes are in - whichever is earlier. This will be enforced strictly.

2. If a player abstains or misses their vote twice, their role is publically revealed and an accident kills them off. No exceptions, so don't sign up if you can't check the forums once every 24 hours.

3. Vigilante will die if they target the Sheriff or the Deputy.

4. Dead players don't talk, period. A final groan as you slip into the afterlife is permitted, but please - don't ruin the game for those still playing with your thoughts on who is who. This goes for PM's as well.

5. A leper will be introduced this game. The leper can be anyone at all apart from the Sheriff and the Deputy. The leper will infect anyone they vote for - in this case new lepers will not be contagious, and will not know they are infected. If the original leper is investigated, they pass on a contagious strain, which is then passed on by the Sheriff or Deputy to everyone else they investigate during the game. The leper is very unlikely to win the game, but it's just a bit of extra fun. Each day/night a count of the number infected will be given. The leper can win the game if at the end, over half the town is infected.

6. There will be no yakuza this game, just for a change. It's mafia against innocents only.

If you're interested, sign up here!

1. n00less cluebie
2. MissChaos
3. Mike
4. enjoymoreradio
5. Tcraig
6. ZMaster
7. Big Will E Style
8. Enokrad
9. djdee
10. Odelay
11. *Manimal
12. Shockandawe
13. MaW1028
14. Goten6456
15. Mud
16. Thetan
Last edited by Preacherman on Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:35 am

Sign me up. One request: I am unable to access the net between Friday evening and Saturday evening. If possible could we extend that portion of the gameday, or else I will have to abstain. Luckily it won't be 2 votes in a row

MissChaos
Hex Vixen

Post by MissChaos » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:44 am

Since I've been following the last Mafia game, I want to try to play in this one...
So, count me in! :D

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:03 am

No Yakuza sounds good (i'm in) -

Might I suggest, that everyone vote each day - if one wants to abstain, then he/she needs to vote for themselves - hear me out here - if one does not make the vote (for being absent) then a no vote is considered a vote for one's self.

I think this is important for 2 reasons:
1. To expedite the game play - and have some more incentive to be plugged into the game - no vote means one could tip the vote for themselves to be out - I think you get this.

2. Also I see non voting as a trend for mafia members to just simply disappear until the end of the game (which I think is not in the spirit of the game)- I think we need to discourage this practice (some may disagree and may support this strategy), by having everyone vote each day - or an absence is a vote for themselves.

Also a suggestion for this or future games - If there is a dead lock vote - then no forced lynching. I know that you are trying to get to a 'back to basics' game Preach - but if you choose not to implement 'non-forced lynching' into this game, at least mull it in the back of your mind for next time. The reason for advocating a no-forced lynching element, is to reduce the sitting back an allowing things to just happen - and make it important for people to be engaged (one argument against the non-forced lynching could be that it prolongs the game, although I think it would do the opposite - perhaps we should just consider this for the next game)

enjoymoreradio
Lux Addict

Post by enjoymoreradio » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:10 am

I'm in, simply because I don't want to run another game for a little while, at least until after school starts, and I have high-speed internet.

And yes, last game, many players simply disappeared from play, so I like the voting requirement thing. There will be peer pressure as well to force them to vote.

Tcraig
Luxer

Post by Tcraig » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:18 am

I'll give it another shot :)!

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:26 am

Rules question: On the night I was Offed by the Mafia, I received a result to my investigation BEFORE the end of the night that indicated that TCraig was Mafia (as I had suspected)

Would it have been within the rules for me to PM that info to people before the morning? I hesistated doing it, b/c I wasn't sure if it would have been fair to do so (as I was pretty sure Preach was gonna have me lynched anyway)

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest

Post by Preacherman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:33 am

Mike wrote:...if one wants to abstain, then he/she needs to vote for themselves...a no vote is considered a vote for one's self...
Sounds like a good idea, and fair. We'll give that a try...
n00less cluebie wrote:Would it have been within the rules for me to PM that info to people before the morning?
As I understand it, the sheriff/deputy get their results first, then the doctors selection is done, followed by the mafia/vigilante hits simultaneously (at least that's how I'm going to run it). If you got your result on TC before that information had been posted in the thread, then you were probably within your rights to spread it, yes. I think I'll try updating the thread with the nightly results before sending out the investigation results, so the issue shouldn't come up again.

ZMaster
Luxer

Post by ZMaster » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:14 am

n00less cluebie wrote:Sign me up. One request: I am unable to access the net between Friday evening and Saturday evening. If possible could we extend that portion of the gameday, or else I will have to abstain. Luckily it won't be 2 votes in a row
sign me up, too!!!!

oh I'm so glad I someone's hosting so soon =)

BTW: I will be mostly unavailable this thursday thru sunday, so if we're starting before then, do tell, I'll have to figure something out, or maybe have to abstain.

I LOVE the idea of the leper, but will he/she be able to win by way of a mafia or innocent role, too?

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest

Post by Preacherman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:00 pm

ZMaster wrote:I LOVE the idea of the leper, but will he/she be able to win by way of a mafia or innocent role, too?
Yes, definitely. The leper is really just for fun, there's very little chance of them winning the game. If it works out well, we can make sure they are a role unto themselves in the future. If they know they can only win by infecting people, it kind of puts pressure on them to vote for different people each time, and try to look a little suspicious so that they get themselves investigated by the sheriff/deputy. hehe...

Big Will E Style
RAW Dogger

Post by Big Will E Style » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:25 pm

Miss Chaos is in? shoot....I'm in. :wink:

No Yakuza makes the normal innocent role more important. This should be fun.

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:50 pm

I'm in too.

also i'd like to suggest that if the Doc protects anyone at night who has leprosy (except the original), he will cure them.

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:04 pm

I'm up for another try, at least Preacherman cannot dis me this time.

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:04 pm

Can you list a comprehensive rules at the beginning please preach.

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest

Post by Preacherman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:36 pm

Enokrad wrote:also i'd like to suggest that if the Doc protects anyone at night who has leprosy (except the original), he will cure them.
Nice idea, we'll do that...
djdee wrote:Can you list a comprehensive rules at the beginning please preach.
Will do...

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:17 pm

Can I suggest the doctor cannot protect himself. I think if he can he can just come out in round 1 and make it almost impossible for the mafia to kill him.

Will we get a count f lepers every night?

Odelay
ooodelayheehoo!

Post by Odelay » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:07 pm

Sign me up.

ZMaster
Luxer

Post by ZMaster » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:07 pm

djdee wrote:Can I suggest the doctor cannot protect himself. I think if he can he can just come out in round 1 and make it almost impossible for the mafia to kill him.

I think they he should be able to protect himself some times...because otherwise once his identity is busted, he's going to be the first one targeted by the mafia.

what if we go:
he can't protect himself two times in a row...?

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:15 pm

Most variants play that the doctor can NOT protect himself--This encourages the doctor NOT to reveal his identity. It makes the Mafia a little bit stronger, so we may need something to balance it out; perhaps an extra pacifist? Those guys are fairly neutral

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:00 pm

ZMaster wrote:
djdee wrote:Can I suggest the doctor cannot protect himself. I think if he can he can just come out in round 1 and make it almost impossible for the mafia to kill him.

I think they he should be able to protect himself some times...because otherwise once his identity is busted, he's going to be the first one targeted by the mafia.

what if we go:
he can't protect himself two times in a row...?
good solution.

*Manimal
Lux Cutie Pet

Post by *Manimal » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:41 pm

IN

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:35 pm

sure why not

MaW1028
Lux Hugger

Post by MaW1028 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:29 pm

I'm in!

Goten6456
Lux Cowboy

Post by Goten6456 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:37 pm

I'm in.

mud
n00b educator

Post by mud » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:31 pm

In

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest

Post by Preacherman » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:57 pm

Kewl...just a few more and we're ready to go :)

Odelay
ooodelayheehoo!

Post by Odelay » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:03 pm

How many players are we shooting for?

Thetan
Lux Addict

Post by Thetan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:17 pm

I would like to be in... however, i don't know how to play the game.... if any of u can post some 1-2-3 rules i'm in!!!

<-----my 79 IQ makes me a fast learner!!!

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest

Post by Preacherman » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:24 pm

That makes 16, it's enough to start if we want to, or we can hang on for a couple more?

ZMaster
Luxer

Post by ZMaster » Tue Jul 29, 2008 6:28 pm

Preacherman wrote:That makes 16, it's enough to start if we want to, or we can hang on for a couple more?
I found out i will have internet access at least once per day, so I should be available to play as soon as you want.