Teleporting Armies on mid-turn Card Cash

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
An_Amazing_Taco
Luxer

Teleporting Armies on mid-turn Card Cash

Post by An_Amazing_Taco » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:44 pm

Perhaps I am a newb and you are supposed to be able to do this, but i was playing the map "empire" and had just invaded Western United States and had thus conquered orange (Boscoe) Now, upon beating him I got his cards and had to cash them instantly, which i did, and then when i placed the guys in some other place (sry, forget where if it matters) the guys i had attacked Western with got placed there also. This doesn't strike me as accurate, so i would assume it to be a bug...

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest
Location: Sweden (capital of Denmark, an island in Norway, southern Europe)

Post by Preacherman » Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:55 pm

No, this is usual - when cashing, all your armies 'in limbo' are available for placement elsewhere.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:23 pm

The problem is that I can't come up with a good technique to solve the problem. i.e. How to force X armies to be placed in certain places and Y armies can be placed everywhere.

Hmm... perhaps waiting until all armies have been placed before forcing the card cash? Would that be confusing?

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest

Post by Preacherman » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:26 pm

I think it would, and on short time limit games it would be downright annoying. How about just placing the number of attacking armies into the defending country automatically when you take it over, just before showing the cards which can then be cashed and placed as usual?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Wed Mar 30, 2005 7:31 pm

What about the situation where cards are set to 5,5,5 and a player is attacking with a huge army. It would be pretty bad if his huge army was placed somewhere he didn't want it to be just so he could get an extra 5 armies.

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest

Post by Preacherman » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:03 pm

Well then he shouldn't be attacking, should he?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:18 pm

:smt104

I AM
Luxer

Is this a How to Program it type of question?

Post by I AM » Thu Sep 22, 2005 9:32 am

Is this a How to Program it type of question you are asking - How to solve it?

Hmmmm...
OK

The attacking country has x armies.
He can attack with only that many and conqer so at least two must enter the conquered country.
The remaining must stay in that country attacking FROM.
If I understand correctly, if the attacking player used Shift-Click in the attack to move all armies, there is not a problem with the current programming to prevent those already moved armies from getting caught in the cash of cards from the conquered player (correct?)
So, the only problem is when the attacking player moves only two armies on the conquering attack (last country of opponent - to get opponents cards).
Therefore: The rule should be that the attacking player's remaining armies should all be left in the country attacking FROM..... AND the armies from card cash should be able to be placed on any owned country(s) on the board.

Did I miss anything?

Thanks for looking into this.

Sorry about the new forum post when you've already linked me to this one in my other gripe.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Re: Is this a How to Program it type of question?

Post by dustin » Mon Sep 26, 2005 4:21 pm

The problem is not a "how do I program it", it's a "how do I make it so it makes sense to the user" problem.
. wrote:Therefore: The rule should be that the attacking player's remaining armies should all be left in the country attacking FROM..... AND the armies from card cash should be able to be placed on any owned country(s) on the board.
What about the situation where cards are set to 5,5,5 and a player is attacking with a huge army. It would be pretty bad if his huge army was placed somewhere he didn't want it to be just so he could get an extra 5 armies that could be placed anywhere.

I AM
Luxer

I guess I don't get it

Post by I AM » Wed Sep 28, 2005 11:07 am

I guess I don't get it then.
Players learn how the program works by playing it.
None of the players, I suspect, have read any books on it. Of the players that have read a book on how to play Lux, about half of them don't even believe what they have read because the way the game REALLY behaves is more important or better knowledge than what some book says the game is "supposed" to do. Hence, experience is the better teacher.

Look at how many players understand how the current "move countries across the world - not at all like Risk" move?
They figured it out. They can articulate it well.

I wouldn't worry about the players learning how it works. That's my opinion.