Player Guide

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Player Guide

Post by dustin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:24 pm

How to Play

Capture all enemy Castles to win!

Players can be on teams, indicated by a shared symbol and usually similar player colors. You can move your units into friendly countries, and attack/defend with your teammates.

Every player plans out their recruits and attacks during the same time, independently of each other. When all players have finished (or the time limit is up), the orders from every player are revealed together on the map. Then any conflicts are resolved according to the attack/defend values of the units involved.

Countries and larger Continents can have bonus values, that pay out gold each turn to the owner.

Pawns are your best buy for defending.

Knights are a better buy for attacking. It also pays off to have some Pawns as cannon-fodder during attacks.

Knights can move 2 spaces only if the first one is friendly or empty.

:smt029
Last edited by dustin on Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:14 am, edited 12 times in total.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:59 pm

What are the rules for battles?

Each unit has a X/6 chance of killing an enemy, where X is the attack or defend value of that unit.

If both sides still have armies after a battle round, the next battle round continues between the survivors.

In combined forces, Pawns always die off before Knights.

When a Castle gets attacked, do the units being recruited there take part in the defense?

No. Units only get recruited into castles after all battles have been resolved. If a castle gets conquered any units recruiting there that turn are lost.

:smt029

When 2 allies attack the same country in the same move - how is the battle run, and who controls the country after the battle?

The attacking allies will be grouped together and collectively fight the defenders. The player will the most surviving units will take ownership of the country after the battle.

If there is no defender in a country - and 3 separate teams attack it, does one get designated as the 'defender'?

No, they will all use attack values.

Can my Knights use their attack value when traveling into a battle in a friendly country?

No. If your team owns the country at the start of the round, your units can only defend there, even if they are moving in from somewhere else. Knights only use their attack value when moving into a country that is owned by the enemy.

If player A and player B both attack a country owned by player C - how is the battles figured?

A and B will both attack the defender to start with, with the defender fighting against both of them at the same time.
If the defender gets eliminated then A and B attack each others forces until only 1 player is left.
Last edited by dustin on Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:08 pm

Keyboard Shortcuts?

Right-click on an order to undo it.

Shift-click to order all units.

Hold a number key 2-9 to order that fraction of all units. i.e. hold the 3 key and click to order 1/3 of units.

cmd-E to finish turn

cmd-R to show/hide the recruit panel.

cmd-B to show/hide the map bonuses.

GregM
Luxer

Post by GregM » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:26 pm

I seem to get more income the turn after I conquer some stuff; is this intentional and how much extra exactly do you get?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon May 31, 2010 10:49 pm

GregM wrote:I seem to get more income the turn after I conquer some stuff; is this intentional and how much extra exactly do you get?
Incomes are calculated and given out after all the battles are resolved. So if you conquer new territory, you'll get its income on your next turn.

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:38 am

Is there/should there be a way to deal with continents shared between allies?

If I hope Peru, Argentina and Brazil, but my ally holds Venezuela, currently the only way I can gain the bonus for South America, according to my understanding, is to have someone else take Venezuela first and then I can retake it. Would it make sense to share the continent bonus between the allies where each player gets X/# of territories in the Continent of the bonus, where X is the number of territories each players controls in the continent? (E.g. in my above example, I'd earn 3/4 of the South America bonus, while my partner earns 1/4; Of course all fractions would have to be rounded)

Either that, or there should be a way to easily transfer territories back and forth between allies....

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:55 pm

Continents that are jointly owned by teammates will give out their bonuses, to the different owners, in proportion to how many of the cont countries they each own.

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:43 pm

can ownership of a country ever be transferred between teammates? Say my teammate loses their castle and I capture it back the next turn - any way for it to go back to their control?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:58 pm

Currently the only way that could happen, is if an enemy took it again, and then they conquered it back.

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:19 pm

would it make sense for a teammate country to be controlled by whoever has more armies there?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:33 pm

I think being able to take countries off of your teammates by occupying them doesn't enhance teamwork.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:03 pm

Is there a list of chat commands somewhere? There probably right in front of me and I can't see them.

MB

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:36 pm

Type / and then type the tab key. That will give you a listing of possible chat commands.

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:37 am

RandomGuy wrote:can ownership of a country ever be transferred between teammates? Say my teammate loses their castle and I capture it back the next turn - any way for it to go back to their control?
bump for dustin - saw your comment in the hex lords chat. tough to determine what is the right approach, but it seems like there should be a way to get your partner back in the game if you recapture their castle for them.

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 12:39 am

randomdude wrote:
there should be a way to get your partner back in the game if you recapture their castle for them.
agree.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Sometimes it's nice to get your teammate into the game. Sometimes it's nice to take his castle and use your incomes there to win the war.

What about: when a castle gets re-taken, the original owner gets back ownership as long as he has at least 1 unit participating in the take-back.

That way, if he's mostly dead, his partner will probably keep it, but when he's still in the fight, he'll get back his chance at life.

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Tue Sep 28, 2010 3:17 pm

then you would need king pieces that if taken/killed knock that player out of the game.

i think it should be up to the conquering teammate.
it's also more realistic and less coding.(i think)

yea if your king is taken you're out until your teammate rescue's you!
thats perfect.

------------------

well how about this... if you aren't captured but lost your castle you can produce units in your teammates castle but with limited recources/gold.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Tue Sep 28, 2010 4:46 pm

We were talking about this in the WWII room. I think for some maps it would be a nice feature, but in others I think it wouldn't be such a good idea. For example, in WWII it would make sense, but in Ambush or Hex Lords, not so much.

I think it should be an option/preference in a future version that the player can choose to turn on or off.

I'd also like to see a scorched earth option in the future.

Pars
Lux Alliance Fan

Post by Pars » Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:00 am

dustin wrote:What are the rules for battles?

Each unit has a X/6 chance of killing an enemy, where X is the attack or defend value of that unit.

If both sides still have armies after a battle round, the next battle round continues between the survivors.

In combined forces, Pawns always die off before Knights.
To complete what Dustin wrote above, use this link for attack or for defence.
Very Usefullbattle odds calculator. http://sillysoft.net/vox/calculator.php

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:26 pm

recource sharing or the ability to buy your teammate a castle.

http://sillysoft.net/vox/calculator.php seems like cheating kinda to me.
(oh wait it doesn't factor for castles so its not too much like cheating)

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Tue Oct 26, 2010 1:50 pm

can i get a linux install guide plz

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:05 pm

Linux install guide:
- You need to have Java installed on your Linux system. Get it from www.java.com

- Download the Linux package and unzip it.

- Run the Vox.sh file as an executable.

drSnuggles
Luxer

Post by drSnuggles » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:10 am

dustin wrote:What are the rules for battles?

These attack/defence values once were present next to the army icon when recruiting. According to the battle odds calculator I assume they are still 1/3 (pawn) and 5/2 (knight).

How does the castle bonus affect defending units and can an empty castle also defend against attackers?

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:38 pm

the castle is its own unit - like having 1 knight and 1 pawn, you can have 1 knight and 1 castle.

It has no attack (can't move) and great defense. It will defend by itself (and will consistently kill a single pawn attacker.

It doesn't affect the other units sharing the same space.

drSnuggles
Luxer

Post by drSnuggles » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:59 am

If a continent is owned by different team members, each will receive the incomes for the countries the member owns, if present, but the whole continent bonus is split among the team members depending on the number of countries each member owns. For example, a three country continent (income 6) in which three team members hold one country each, each's purse will increase by 2 per round.

I think it's somehow obvious if one checks income values. Just liked to mention it since at least I missed to read it here. It might be confusing as well.

djdee
lux widowmaker

Post by djdee » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:09 am

Dustin

Most people do not know to use / for commands and just type Help when they are wanting to know what to do and how to play.

Perhaps there should be a default reply echoed if someone types help?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:02 am

great idea dj. try it and see what happens!

ratmouse
Rodentia Luxer

question of movement and combat

Post by ratmouse » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:28 pm

I am on country a with 2 knights ,my enemy has 1 knight on space b next to me

on my movement I move my 2 knights into space b
on the same movement my enemy moves his one knight onto space c

my question is do the knights meet in combat or do they miss each other?

Ramcat
Luxer

Post by Ramcat » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:48 pm

They miss each other. You can 'jump'/'move past' your enemy if you cross simultaneously.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:51 pm

I think the forces only meet in the countries (spaces) they are entering or defending, not in transit from one place to another.

So if you vacated space a to move into b and your enemy vacated b to move into a in the same move neither of you would be battling each other (Although there may be an invisible soldier, probably a pawn, remaining to defend the spaces as there is in Lux. Never thought to ask that till now)