New Maps- Need help testing

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
mbauer
Not A Truck

New Maps- Need help testing

Post by mbauer » Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:55 pm

Anyone interested, I'd be very grateful for some play testing of these maps.

7 players, 5 teams. Rome, Carthage, and Parthia are each their own team. Goths and Vandals are 1 team. Saxons and Franks are the last team. Still working on the army icons. Download here

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

9 Players. 2 Teams.

Team France:
France, Denmark, Italy, Spain

Coalition team:
England, Russia, Prussia, Austria, Ottomans
Again, still working on the army icons. Download here

Any input would be helpful and appreciated.

Thanks,
MB

Salaam
Luxer

Post by Salaam » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:00 pm

Just played Napoleonic wars so far. The balancing is a bit off. I played as the Russians in my first game and won easily. I tried the Italiens next. We received a sound thwacking. Tired the Spanish next. I managed to stalemate Portugal and was on the verge of taking it when my allies collapsed and most of Eurpoe stomped on me.

I tried the French on my next run through and won. Not easy though. I had to constantly distract russia with a couple knights a turn while maintaining poland and doing back and forth warfare throughout central europe. It took about two hours.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:30 pm

FYI I'm testing out the Vox plugin manager feature. I should have an updated beta release with that working in the next few weeks. This should help distribute maps for testing.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:42 pm

Salaam wrote:Just played Napoleonic wars so far. The balancing is a bit off. I played as the Russians in my first game and won easily. I tried the Italiens next. We received a sound thwacking. Tired the Spanish next. I managed to stalemate Portugal and was on the verge of taking it when my allies collapsed and most of Eurpoe stomped on me.

I tried the French on my next run through and won. Not easy though. I had to constantly distract russia with a couple knights a turn while maintaining poland and doing back and forth warfare throughout central europe. It took about two hours.
Thanks Salaam!!!

So is having to spend 2 hours to win with the French a good thing or a bad thing? In other words, was it fun or frustrating?

I'll weaken the Coalition team a little more and re-post soon.

In the meantime (and while we await the Vox plugin manager), here's another map for you, or anyone to test.

It's a one-for-all with 8 players. Download here

MB
Last edited by mbauer on Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:41 pm

These maps look Great MB - I'm traveling at the moment, but will get some playing time in this weekend.

Salaam
Luxer

Post by Salaam » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:10 pm

A little frustrating for the first half hour, but it got better and better as the tide started to turn and I started to win. (you have to keep in mind that I was playing polymath, which I consider to be the hardest AI)

Image the thumbnail pic for Roman Empire is the wrong roman empire map. I'd tell you which roman empire map if I still had my copy of lux.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Mon May 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Any other thoughts before I post a new version of Napoleon?

Salaam wrote: the thumbnail pic for Roman Empire is the wrong roman empire map.
Yeah I noticed that too. I didn't upload any screenshots, so I assume Vox is just looking at the Lux database of screenshots for now. I imagine this is just temporary pathing that Dustin has set up.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Tue May 04, 2010 8:14 pm

I have updated the Napoleon map to try and balance it more. Download here

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here's another new map: The American Revolution

5 players, 2 teams. 1 team is comprised of England, Iroquois, and Creeks. The other team is comprised of the Americans and the French. Download here

France only has 1 country to start with and they are sort of intended to build up slowly while waiting for America to gain a foothold, then come in with a good force to help their teammate keep the upper hand. However, the bots play France rather aggressively. Anyway, I'd love to hear any and all feedback from anyone interested.

Thanks,
MB

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Thu May 13, 2010 11:31 pm

If anyone is interested, I just uploaded a new space map that I would really appreciate some feedback on.

7 players. 4 Teams. The grey player is on a team by themselves.

Should be in your plugin manager now, it's called "Cosmic Clash" (I'm open to name suggestions :) ).

MB

Drifter
Semiholy Rambler
Location: An undisclosed location... for reasons of security, and therefore... insecurity...

Post by Drifter » Fri May 14, 2010 12:33 am

You are in "the zone" aren't ya, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Darth Rellek
Sith Lord

Post by Darth Rellek » Fri May 21, 2010 9:08 am

wow, is that a StarWars Map????

havent seen anything like that

Are the planets named like Corresant, Hoth, Naboo, ect... ????

a death star would be nice

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:17 pm

For our classic Lux/Conquer the world lovers, I just uploaded a map called Vox World. I'd love some feedback if anyone has some.

Thanks,
MB

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:46 pm

Any thoughts yet on any of these maps?

Thanks,
MB

GregM
Luxer

Post by GregM » Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:19 pm

mbauer,

I really like "The First Americans"; some of the players are perhaps at a disadvantage in the scenario though: I think the Sioux and Iroquois will both find it hard to hold "their" continent, given the number of borders and the distance from some of the borders to their castles.

In "American Revolution" the English can immediately eliminate the French, and then it's 3 on 1. Maybe that's winnable against the current bots but I'm working on improving Polymath. :)

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:13 am

THANK YOU!

I'll give the Sioux and Iroquois some more starting armies on their fringe borders to see if that helps bolster them up a little.

Revolution:
Yeah, the French player is tricky. I totally agree with your assessment. If I make the French too strong, though, then the English are easily defeated. I'll play with the numbers more and see if I can't strike a balance.

Thanks again for your comments, Greg

GregM
Luxer

Post by GregM » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:36 pm

Are the Nomads on Holy Roman Empire supposed to be set to play as "Boring"? As it is the Nomads are pretty powerful, and they lock in the Spanish so the Spanish can't do very much.

On Middle East the Egyptians for some reason have a couple infantry that start on Balkh, way on the other side of the map, which isn't even owned by the Egyptians!

My sense of Middle East is that the Egyptians are weak (they're mostly locked off from the good stuff), as are perhaps the Mongols (difficult border to defend) and the Arabians are strong (valuable uncontested continent and good access to other continents).

Vox World is interesting: the multitude of connections seems to make it hard to defend your many borders.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:54 pm

Thanks a bunch Greg for your comments, they have helped tremendously!

Holy Roman Empire - The Nomads were intended to use the boring bot, which makes a big difference. I notice the old one did not use the boring bot, it's fixed now. I was just experimenting with having large nomad castles. Sort of a prize for the players to fight over. Might not work. I also messed with the scenario settings.

Hex Lords - weakened the yellow team and strengthened the blue team (plus added a story and changed some player names :)

Revolution - I played with the continent and country values a lot and altered the starting unit totals in several places. Now I realize that putting the castles of England and France 1 space away from each other was a mistake. I tried to beef up France and still keep them from threatening England too much. Hopefully that works, if not I'll have to rethink the placement of France, maybe just eliminate them altogether and have it be a one vs all map.

Middle East - The rogue Egyptian in Balkh was a mistake, he's gone now. :) I messed around with the scenario quite a bit.

Roman Empire - Messed with the scenario values. Hopefully it's more balanced now.

Any thoughts on any of these would be appreciated.

Pars
Lux Alliance Fan

Post by Pars » Wed Oct 13, 2010 7:03 pm

The American Revolution map is hard to master, I have lost many times against the bots.

I find it very hard to play as england (red).Challeging fun map

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:52 am

Thanks Pars! :smt023