No Boats/Ships?

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
Osiris
Luxer

No Boats/Ships?

Post by Osiris » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:17 pm

Hi Dustin/Mark/Everyone,

Is it me or the Castle Vox system?

I'm working on a Castle Vox game, but when I create a new continent and label it water, to change the graphics to a ship. it doesn't work.

This only works in Lux.

How come not in Castle Vox?

If it doesn't work in Castle Vox, will it in future editions?

Peter. :)

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:51 pm

At the moment the ship/water feature is not available in Castle Vox.

Dustin will have to speak as to whether there is long term plans for the feature.

Osiris
Luxer

No Boats/Ships?

Post by Osiris » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:19 pm

Hi Mark,

Thanks.

Peter.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:26 pm

Since Vox has multiple units that look different, I think it could be confusing to change the icons to boats on some countries. So it's unlikely Vox will gain this capability. Castle Vox does let you supply your own unit images also, so some maps are entirely boats.

Osiris
Luxer

No Boats/Ships?

Post by Osiris » Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi Dustin,

Thanks for your input but...I disagree, if Lux can have ships, which is not confusing, then Castle Vox can have them too.

Since really the game system basically only has...a pawn...a knight...a castle, adding a ship icon to change a land unit when it crosses a sea area and staying in a sea area would not be a confusing issue. Lux has this ability, so Castle Vox should too.

I really don't see a problem with this...unless Castle Vox has not got the software yet to do it.

Certainly some Castle Vox Maps have ships as their units, but this is not the issue.

Peter. :)

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:10 pm

The difference is, in Lux there really is only one type of unit. Yes the little pictures change, but how the unit behaves is always the same no matter what picture is showing.

In Vox, there are 3 different units that all behave differently with different parameters and abilities and their pictures never change in game.

So there is a potential point of confusion when a player has a pawn and knows how it behaves, then when they move that pawn into a country where it changes to a boat, it might be confusing to the player how the boat behaves and what its abilities are.

In order to incorporate boats it would require adding a new unit type with it's own set of parameters and abilities that we can define to the player before hand, as we do with the current 3 unit types.

MB

gearguts
Lux Newbie

Post by gearguts » Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:51 pm

Would it be possible for only knights to have alternate images? I think it would sort of make sense that pawns are always pawns, but knights can get the extra graphical features.