Summer Fun Grand Slam Tournament

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Summer Fun Grand Slam Tournament

Post by GFips » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:34 am

LAST UPDATE: 04.08.2011

The games have begun!

- Behemoth created awards :-) Thank you !!!
(recent updates will be posted in the original message - so re-read regular; the rules my still be changed/modified till the start as i try to implement any good suggested improvement!)

Hi Lux friends,

i took up Capicola's/PJB's idea to establish a "Lux Summer Fun Grand Slam Tournament" on mentors tracking page.

Behemoth created some nice trophies for the winners of each categorie:
Thank you very much Behe!

It will take place in four different single map categories:

- Classic
Online-ranking: http://lux.dc6iq.de/node/31404
Hosts: All classic hosts (Classic Widescreen will NOT count! - it is a technical issue (sorry))
mininum Humans: 5 (maybe i will change later down to 4 if necessary)

- Bio - Deux
Online-ranking: http://lux.dc6iq.de/node/31405
Hosts: ONLY Sillysofts BIO host (technically not possible otherwise) mininum Humans: 6

- Roman Empire II
Online-ranking: http://lux.dc6iq.de/node/31406
Hosts: All REII hosts (Bio option will NOT count!)
mininum Humans: 6 (maybe i will change later down to 5 if necessary)

- Classic Part Deux
Online-ranking: http://lux.dc6iq.de/node/31407
Hosts: All Classic Part Deux hosts (Bio option will NOT count!)
mininum Humans: 5 (maybe i will change later down to 4 if necessary)

and finally one categorie over all maps:

- All maps Grand Slam Winner (over all Categories)
for the first 15 places in each single categorie you will get the following points:
20 / 18 / 16 / 14 / 12 / 10 / 9 / 8 / 7 / 6 / 5 / 4 / 3 / 2 / 1
the winner with most points will be the all map Grand Slam winner!
For each game missing in the minum required games in any of the 4 categories, a penalty will be subtracted.
So if you want to win this you should compete in all 4 single categories!
I will post the final result in September.

-----

General rules:

1. All games during August (01.01.2011 00:00 - 31.01.2011 0:00) will count
2. No sign-up required. You are signed up automatically by playing!
3. Minimum number of games required in each categorie: 10 in Bio / 5 in every other category
4. Maximum number games that will count: 40 in Bio / 25 in every other category
5. people might be exluded by missbehaviour (e.g. targeting, foul language policy, etc.) if i will get a report by any mod!
6. Scoring System:
Bio: http://lux.dc6iq.de/node/31411
every other: http://lux.dc6iq.de/node/31607

------

there is still to mention:

- I have choosen august because there are no other tourneys.
- it is NOT an official Lux Tournament. It is just about fun and "honour".
- i use mentors ranking page: http://lux.dc6iq.de/. I cannot use other scoring/ranking systems. My scoring is based on his standard Scoring system http://lux.dc6iq.de/node/28 but with more games counting and 2 points for each played game.

- dont exptect too much. Please don't blame me if it no success or if you do not like it. I am NOT a tournament master (like Dustin, Mentor, Para, Snyper, etc.). I just want to give it a try and hope we all have fun.

- there might still be some changes until the start if there are any good ideas. But i think we should not do major changes after it has already startet. So hurry up if you have any great ideas! I am thankful for every help and any suggestions.

=> So please just see it as FUN TOURNEMENT and as experiment. If you like the idea, maybe we can find a professional tournament master (e.g. mentor09) for future tournaments.

So - just give it a try. Welcome to play and have fun!

Constructive suggestions and improvements are always welcome !!!
-> PM to GFips or post here in the forum!

My Special thanks go to:
- mentor09 for the ranking page and his advices and helps and giving out awards
- Capi/PJB for giving the original idea
- PJB and mentor09 for hosting Classic Part Deux during august
- Para (for making this an own thread and giving advices)
- Behemoth, who offered to create some awards (medals)!
- everyone who helps to make it an success and fun for all!
Last edited by GFips on Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:03 am, edited 12 times in total.

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:05 pm

looks like a lot of fun. why a max of 20 games though?

Schroberts
Lux Veteran

Post by Schroberts » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:25 pm

I like this idea, Fips! :D

The only thing I might add is that it might be fun to also have an overall "grandslam" winner, meaning the overall winner of all the maps. I, myself, never really play rome, but I think it would be cool to see who really is an all-around lux champ on all maps.

Of course, I know nothing about how it would be to set up the ranking for this, so it's only a suggestion ;)

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:36 pm

Great idea Gfips.

I had a similar idea also using mentor's ranking page but you worked this out fine. This is exactly why mentor build that site so any luxer can organize small or big tournaments and can make use of that ranking page. The standard scoring method you use now is easily adjustable we can also make a new scoring method if necessary.

I will host some deux redux rooms to and add the links to the different grand slam ranking pages in my description. I hope other hosts can do that to.

For Bio, Classic, Rome and maybe Deux to have their own ranking pages here on the Sillysoft site would be a major transformation, i dont see that happening soon. Lets just see how this work out and hopefully lots of people will join and know they are playing this grand slam tournament.

btw i think this is more capicola's idea than it is mine ;)

Im looking forward to play these grand slams.
Last edited by PJB on Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Capicola
Gorgeous Man

Post by Capicola » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:38 pm

FIPS!

Glad you took this idea and ran with it. Looks like everyone's looking forward to it. :smt023

Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

Post by Enzo1997 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:12 pm

Too bad I am typing this from a library, won't be back to lux till mid-august, I am enjoying my Michigan vacation though.

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:15 pm

a medal shouldn't be too hard. It is a grand slam tourney, so why not have a medal with a tennis racket?

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:49 pm

no sign up just play in, right?

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Fri Jul 29, 2011 9:54 am

Yes Jesterme- there is no sign-up required. Just play ;-)
I have posted some recent updates in the original message!

Thanks to Behe for designing some awards!
Yeah - i would like the idea of Kude! Lets see what Behe will give us!
(He was the first to reply and offering to design awards - so it is his free choice what he designs for us! I am very glad he does it!)

and thanks for all the positive feedback and all the constructive suggestions i got. I tried to implement them as far as possible.

Samuel99
MOTW For Life

Post by Samuel99 » Fri Jul 29, 2011 11:16 am

Goos idea GFips for making this tournment.I would have like to make a tournment like this but I dont have much time and I suck too damn much with computer stuff......All I can do is give my idea and I think its a good 1 this tournment.And its perfect that each player have to play a minimum of 10 games in each categorie.If this works out good maybe we could try a the same tournment but that would be focusing on other settings like twicht,team,no chat,castle...etc just to get prepare for Luxtoberfest....

And like this tournment said ITS FOR FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and what better fun then TWICHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!this game should not always be by playing the regular maps and the regular settings that we all know.

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:35 pm

Samuel99 wrote:And like this tournment said ITS FOR FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!and what better fun then TWICHT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!this game should not always be by playing the regular maps and the regular settings that we all know.
Twich games will also count. Excepct the bio category (because of some technical problems getting all games), everybody is free to host games with different settings. I don't have the rescources to host too many games, but PJB and mentor have possibilities.

I fully agree - it would be nice to have some other settings beside the usual once. I pleased mentor to host Deux with 4/6/8/10/15 20% to have some difference to the Bio host with usually 5/10/15 30%. In Classic we will have "card game", so in this tourney we will have different maps with different kinds of strategies. Twich might be a nice addition!

BTW: if you want i can easy set up a twitch tournament on mentors ranking page - you just need to find a host for the hosting work. I am sure if you will ask mentor09, he might help!

P.S: I thought i will request a minimum of 10 games, so if someone has 3 lucky games i still will need to play some more games, on the other hand i did not want to put the entry level to high, so that e.g. some old schoolers who do not have so much time, also have the chance to participate.

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:52 am

ok, so nobody's played any games of part deux yet. Anyone up for a game sometime?

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:41 am

I am wondering that noone wants to play Classic Part Deux. There were a lot of requests for this map, but not any FH games played till yet. Mentor has set up a permament host!

I reduced the minimum required humans to 4 in the categories "classic" and "classic part deux" from now on for a while. So you should be able to do same games. I will also try to host and play some Classic Part Deux games next Monday till Wednesday (about GMT 7pm till 12pm). So everybody who wants to play Classic Part Deux is welcomed. If you have special wishes for settings, just tell me.

---
I remember all who want to compete for the overal map grand slam tournament, that they should compete an all 4 maps! There will be a penalty subcrated for not reaching the minimum amount of games in one or more categories (Bio: min 10 games; all other maps: min 5 games / penalty -1 (Bio) and 2- (classic, RE, deux) for each missed game of the minum required amount, so if you do not compete in one category at all you will get -10 subracted).

If you want to compete for a single category (e.g. Bio) the minum number of games must be reached or you are not qualified for medals in this single category (but for the all map category).

But dont play just the min number of games: There is also a little bonus for people who played more games as long as they dont reach the maximum number of games. There is still much time left! So play and win!

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:53 pm

can someone please give me an insight as to HOW the points are calculated in this tournament?

It seems that they are somewhat "disfigured" to say the least.......and you prolly need somew sort of degree to figure it out. (even though i DO have a degree)

For example, how is it possible that you Gfips, are ahead of me in the classic standings? You have played 5 games, have won 0 ( 4 2nd places and 1 3rd place) whilst i played 25 FH games, and won 10, 2nd in 6 of em, and managed to only place 6th ONCE, and 5th twice. I am sure there are other inconsistencies in the other categories, but surely, even blind Freddie can see that from what i have mentioned above, there is a big, no, HUGE problem with the way this "point" system has been calculated.....especially whewn someone who has won 40% of FH games can be behind someone who has a 0% win ratio.....

Mazza goes and bangs his head against a desk, trying to work out the "hidden" formula

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:59 pm

I think this is way to unorganized.

I think this would work much better if you set up times and dates that the games can personally be hosted and watched. Your attendance will be much higher and I think the overall feeling towards the tournament would be much better.

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:04 pm

Shockandawe wrote:I think this is way to unorganized.

I think this would work much better if you set up times and dates that the games can personally be hosted and watched. Your attendance will be much higher and I think the overall feeling towards the tournament would be much better.
I agree. It's all kind of odd. The stats, the setup, the overall feel.

That's how I feel anyway (and why I've avoided this thread...)

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:34 am

Hey guys,

thanks for the feedback. Critics is always welcome as long as it is constructive and help to improve (ty Mazza and Shock). I just wished you would have given all that feedback before the tourney startet. I always asked for help and feedback, but only a few people were helping and everybody wanted to have a different scoring and had different ideas. I tried to do my best to find a setup for all and i tried my best to implement all wishes. The actual used Scoring system ist described on mentors pages http://lux.dc6iq.de/node/31607 (classic, classic part deux, RE) and http://lux.dc6iq.de/node/31411 (Bio). For the concrete formula you have to ask mentor09 - he programmed the the ranking page and the scoring systems. In general it is not the highest winning percentage, also it surely should help (but you also should not get to often on the last places, it is based on avaraged places you get, not only winning).

Shock: yes you are right. this might have been the better way, but my original intention was to give also people the chance, who do not have so much time and so everybody should get the chance to play the games over 4 weeks and especially independent of all time zones. But i think that idea was not the best and like you said, a certain fixed time might have been really better.

So my advise to all:
this is not an offical tournemant and i am not an tournament master. This is a initial fun tournament. There is for sure still much space for improvements (@maza: including scoring, i agree that should not be this way). As we could see about the "tournament of ages" if we discuss too much about it, it will never take place ... So i decided to start it, still knowing not all perfect and having not enough time to setup perfect. I apologize for all the "unorganized" and "not perfect" things and encourage you all to improve it.

So I please you all: develop it to a perfect tournament for next year 2012! I myself will definitly not redo this tournament a second time (as i posted originally already). I hope there is someone to overtake for next year (e.g. you mazza or you Rhye?). I just wanted to give it a initial start and wanted to give it a try as i thought it might be a fun idea. So please collect all the suggestions for improvements and redo this tournemant next year in well organized way. Everyone can use Mentor09's ranking page (or use his own one). I do not have the time and the experience for tournament organisations as i plan to reduce my time spent with lux (as i need more time in real life; has nothing to do with lux itself) . Nevertheless i hope, you all like the base idea of the tournemant in general and it will not die and be redone next year in a better way.

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:16 pm

Although I did not feel the organization was right, I still believe it was a great summer fun grand slam. Regardless it gave us a little something extra to do and encouraged us to lux more of our lives away, kudos to that (non-sarcastic.)
Rhye wrote:(and why I've avoided this thread...)
I felt that the idea was great, and while some of it could be improved, I wasn't sure how to improve it. I guess it wasn't the typical tournament that we were all expecting, but that isn't a bad thing. Not to mention the fact that you created a great mystery....
(how the stats are calculated.)

Samuel99
MOTW For Life

Post by Samuel99 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:02 pm

This tounrment is fun I think even If I dont know how the heck points are calculated....its weird how the points are given.

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Wed Aug 31, 2011 3:23 pm

CONGRATULATION TO THE WINNERS!!!!

I know not everything was perfect. I really apologize for all the "unorganized" and not perfect things.
I hope you all had some fun nevertheless. For next year there must be done some changes and improvements (scoring, maybe mininum required games = 10 like Samual said).
It is not easy take up and implement everybodys wishes, but i will forward all improvement suggestions i got, if we find someone to redo it next year!
You will find the official results on mentor's ranking page (there you will also find infos about the scoring system!).

CONGRATS TO THE MOST SUCCESSFULL PLAYER OVER ALL MAPS: BIG WILL E STYLE !!!
(DAMM SAME GOOD JOB AS YOU ALWAYS DO !!!!! VERY WELL DONE!!!!)

CONGRATS TO THE CATEGORY WINNERS: SAM! GUNZ! BWE! ENZO!

SO THE WINNERS 2011 ARE:

CATEGORY CLASSIC:

1 Samuel99 62 GOLD
2 Big Will E Style 59 SILVER
3 Apocalypse44 57 BRONCE

RunnerUps:
4 GFips 57
5 Messie 56,3
6 Mazza 56
7 AWR43 55,8
8 glu 54,2
9 dollabillz 53,7
10 Donatello 51,2
11 Kristian 51
12 3DA 51
13 mollin26 50,57
14 genopark 50,5
15 mohegan 50,4
16 Red Beard 50,1
17 Rambo96 50
18 Guillerme 49,9
19 Ulf 49,2
20 killorbekill 48,11
[...]

Note: As Engie played under AWR43 and Engie i noted only AWR43 as AWR43 was better placed and played also the other categories

CATEGORY BIO

1 gunz 60,86 (GOLD)
2 Big Will E Style 60,00 (SILVER)
3 AWR43 56,78 (BRONCE)

RunnerUps:
4 Yo Daddy 56,17
5 Eddie Nash 56,06
6 Manel4 56,04
7 Mikis111 55,86
8 adam195 55,75
9 gary the cheater 54,50
10 Dr.Thorvaldt 54,14
11 El Casto 53,19
12 Marauder 53,18
13 BRAINDEAD 53,00
14 DeputyDawg 52,78
15 Ricou 52,50
16 h0b0 52,38
17 Samuel99 52,18
18 3DA 52,00
19 snarl 51,72
20 GFips 51,38
[...]

CATEGORY REII:

1 Big Will E Style 62,00 (GOLD)
2 Deep Blue’s 55,20 (SILVER)
3 GFips 54,20 (BRONCE)

RunnerUps:
4 glu 54,00
5 RogueMonk 53,00
6 zafer leventoglu 52,80
7 WhirlPlaid 52,75
8 SuperGood 52,48
9 Googlebot 51,60
10 Akimot452 51,29
11 Heiro II of Syracuse 51,23
12 Dude-man 51,17
13 PILLOWCASER 51,13
14 Marauder 50,33
15 Rambo96 50,00
16 Thoma836 50,00
17 Rhye 49,14
18 Romina 48,82
19 steve704 48,80
20 Stangg 48,25
[...]

CATEGORY CLASSIC DEUX

well there were only 2 humans playing 5 games at least ...

1 Enzo1997 56 (GOLD)
1 GFips 56
3 Angry 12 (BRONCE)

RunnerUps:
4 Darth Vador 26,6 1 Game Missing
5 Chimera 17,6 1 Game Missing
6 Manel4 37,2 2 Games Missing
7 Kude 24,2 2 Games Missing
8 Samuel99 21,2 2 Games Missing
9 Medina 30,8 3 Games Missing
10 parshel 25,8 3 Games Missing
11 TSK 18,8 3 Games Missing
12 Aja56 14,8 3 Games Missing
13 Andrew122 12,8 3 Games Missing
14 Reaper 10,8 3 Games Missing
14 crazygreens 10,8 3 Games Missing
16 Marauder 16,4 4 Games Missing
16 PJB 16,4 4 Games Missing
16 SmotPoker 16,4 4 Games Missing
19 jesterme 12,4 4 Games Missing
19 Big Will E Style 12,4 4 Games Missing
[...]

ALL MAP CATEGORY
Classic / Bio / REII / Deux / SUM
Big Will E Style 18 /18 /20 /-4 / 52 (GOLD)
GFips /14 /0 /16 /18 / 48 (SILVER)
Samuel99 20 /0 /-1 /8-2=6 / 25 (BRONCE)

Runner Ups
Enzo1997 0 /0 /0 20 / 20
Manel4 0 /10 /-4 / 12 /18
glu 8 /-2 /14 /-5 / 15
[...]
notice: negative points are penalties if a player did not reach the mininum number of games requestet in one category!
Last edited by GFips on Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mentor09
Luxer

Awards given out!

Post by mentor09 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:00 am

Congrats to the winners ;-)

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:29 am

Congratulations, everyone! Y'all are going to need bigger trophy cases...

:D

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:39 am

congrats to the winners!

SnyperEye
Anti-Holy Assgrabber

Post by SnyperEye » Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:48 am

Well Done!

Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

Post by Enzo1997 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:36 pm

You accidentally gave yourself All Map Silver instead of Classic Part Duex Silver Bro. Otherwise... :smt023

Rimsha42
Lux Newbie

Post by Rimsha42 » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:11 am

Congratulations to every one who participated

Fun Maza