Mafia XXX (30) Sign up thread!

Forum games, computer games, any other games that you'd like to play.
Rhye
Lux Crooner

Mafia XXX (30) Sign up thread!

Post by Rhye » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:12 pm

Players:
1) jesterme
2) mazza
3) mud
4) kude
5) engie
6) Suntzu
7) Tazzygirl
8. schroberts
9) Enzo1997
10) The Silken Knot
11) Heartscoffee

(All edits to the game rules made after Octobert 26th will be colored orange.) (I haven't made any edits since the day I created it.... but I have been planning edits.)

It is a dark and stormy night. It is raining harder than you have ever seen it rain before and thunder is shaking the land. You have never seen such a violent storm before. You have never seen Zeus hurl lightning with such vigor before. You never saw such dangerous thunderstorms back in....... what was your hometown again? Oh, you don't remember. That's interesting. Very, interesting. You remember that you've never seen such a violent thunderstorm before, but you can't remember you place of birth. You can't even remember your own name, can you? And yet, you remember your profession. Oh young one, how curious it is to be you!

I watch you stumble along the rocky path towards to crude structure ahead of you. It is a man-made structure, yet it is unusually crude and rough. It's a miracle, really, that such an old structure could survive such a vicious storm. But then, engineering back in the 21st century was quite a precise art, so perhaps it was no large miracle.

You reach the shelter after several minutes of walking. When you enter...... you are quite suprised by what you find. A bustling marketplace greets you! You see people of all races united to survive in this harsh world. You would perhaps find it beautiful, if you were not a part of it. Teamwork for the common good can be beautiful, but it certainly is less beautiful from the worker's point of view.

You speak to an old man and ask him who the leader of this town is. The man chuckles. You try rephrasing the question, but he still finds your question amusing. You stare at him with a puzzled look on your face. Finally, he explains that there are no leaders anymore. He told you that all are equal in the eyes of nature, and that the same is true in this town.

You agree with the old man (what other choice do you have) and ask him for his name. He tells you that his name is Rhye. You then tell Rhye your profession. His eyes light up when you tell him that you are such an experienced person, and he tells you to meet him at a gathering of the greatest minds in the town. You try and back away from his offer, but his look tells you that you are in no position to refuse. You agree to assemble with the other learned members of the town on November 1st .

You decide to ask Rhye one last question. You ask him, "Why must the town's greatest minds assemble now?" Rhye exhales deeply and then responds. "A group called the Order of the Serpent has expanded to an unbelievable size. They preach that violence and destruction are good when done in the name of faith. Clearly, such evil-doers must be eliminated for good. We'll give them cold, hard steel if they cross our path.... and I'm afraid that that will be the case." He whispers his next bit of knowledge to you: "Also, watch out for the Undead Warriors. They shouldn't be an issue now.... but if you let them extend they will overpower everyone. I let the founder of the Undead Warriors survive, because of our past friendship..... and now I fear I will pay for my mistake." You promise to keep your new knowledge a secret, and agree to go to Rhye's Assembly. Life sure likes to kick you in the ass....

(Welcome to Mafia XXX)

P.S. Isn't writing in the 2nd person fun?

Note: I'm speaking as an all-knowing figure, 'Rhye' is the wise old man in the game. I know that it's kind of confusing, but don't worry, 'Rhye' will be dead before Day 1 starts anyway......
Last edited by Rhye on Mon Oct 31, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 12 times in total.

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:41 pm

Basic Rules of Mafia XXX:

1) No editing posts.
2) No deleting posts. I'm less militant about this rule than I am about rule #1, but please, don't delete posts. It just complicates things.
3) No quoting deleted posts. If someone refuses to follow rule #2, don't quote them. Because they deleted their post for a reason. As much fun as it is to catch them in the act, please refrain from doing so.
4) No deleting the thread. As fricking weird as it is, it has happened before.... :shock:
5) No quoting private messages. They are called private for a reason.
6) Clues and Events may or may not happen throughout the course of the game. If you are told a clue, you aren't forced to share the information with the crowd, but of course, you are welcome to. Don't forget rule #5 though. There are no restrictions on how many events and clues may occur per night. There could be a dozen every night, or zero for the entire duration of the game.
-Events are like clues. They happen as soon as the night begins. Your response is to be pmed to me before the night ends.

So.... what is different about Mafia XXX you may ask. Well, you see, this Mafia you will be less loyal to your 'group' (Innocent, Corrupt, or Mafia) and more loyal to yourself and your partner. Your partner??? Yes, your partner. In this game you will be paired to one other player. Now, what is your relationship to your partner? Your relationship will be one of mutual interdependence, simply put, your partner will be of great help to you, but not essential to victory. You will not know your player at the beginning of the game (I'll get to that later), but you will have it figured out within a few days (depending on how lucky you are, in most cases.) But, you could go the whole game without knowing who your partner is and win, in theory. Okay, instead of confusing you I will tell you how your scores will be calculated.

In Mafia XXX each player will be scored based off of his/her performance, and his/her partner's performance. Formula:
V(Y+1/2P)
When
Y= Your score
P=Partner's Score
V=Victory bonus (1 for defeat; 3/2 for victory.)

Okay, so you may be thinking, this is pretty damn complicated. Well, with just a few exceptions, your score is calculated simply off of:
1) 10 Points every day for survival
2) Points given for your death (if you die, that is.)
3) Points awarded for having unused items left over (Items with more than one use will be given less points the more times it was used.)
Points are not awarded for successfully completing night actions (e.g. investigations, assassinations etc.) because that would make it too big of an advantage to be a person-in-power. Of course, if you are a powerful person you are more likely to die..... bonus points will be given upon your death if you do end up dying.

More specific point information will be given in next post on Characters and Items.

Edit: I realized one of my points was confusing.
V(Y+1/2P)
V= Victory of YOUR group. You and your partner may be placed in different groups.

Also, scoring is based off of your group at the END of the game. So, if you were corrupt when you died (or at the game's end) then you are a part of the corrupt group.

As an example.... let's say (for the sake of arguement) you are Innocent and your partner is Mafia. Innocents won. You and your partner both scored 10 points total (not possible, but just go with it.) Therefore:
3/2[10+1/2(10)]
3/2(15)

Also, don't freak out about the scoring. I will be calculating that. Just simply try and survive. Think Logically, my friends.
Last edited by Rhye on Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:27 am

The game starts on Night 0, then progresses to Day 1, Night 1 and so on. This is so we don't 'miss day 1', which would be kind of weird. (Also note, if I say 'guy' that character can be female too. All players can be female, I just say 'guy' and 'he' because I'm a dude.)

When I refer to the innocents, I refer to all of the people on the innocent team (like 'Town' in most Mafia). Even though they may not appear innocent by the name in parenthesis (what they will appear as when investigated), they will still be a part of the innocent team and win when the innocent team wins. Also note that All of these professions can exist in more than one player. Let's begin.

Innocent Team:

Enlightened Vigilante(Innocent): This person has the ability to shoot down foes like your average Vigilante, but when he encounters a corrupt person he will convert them back to Innocence. However, innocent people will be shot as well.
1) Shoots Innocents
2) Shoots Mafia
3) Converts Corrupt into Basic Innocent Type

Insane Slayer(Innocent): It's amazing that this fellow is considered innocent. This guy has some serious mental issues, but boy can he kick ass. In fact, when he strikes he mauls his foe so badly that the person is unrecognizable come the next morning. It will not be until the next day that his target is annouced dead. For example: Kills bob Night 3, Bob is not annouced dead until Day 5. This guy can even cut through Bullet-Proof Vests like butter!
1) Maims Innocents
2) Maims Mafia
3) Maims Corrupt

Sheriff(Innocent): This person is trained when it comes to telling an innocent from a Corrupt or Mafia member. When he investigates someone, 100% of the time he will receive an answer. His investigation will yield the person's group that is in parenthesis next to their names in this list. One Exception, see 'Book of the Dead'
1) Investigates Innocents
2) Investigates Mafia
3) Investigates Corrupt

Deputy(Innocent): This person has no investigating powers yet.... but should the sheriff die (or be unable to fill his duty), he/she will assume the position of sheriff and have all of the powers that the original sheriff had.
1) Will assume the position of Sheriff if the original Sheriff is unable to perform his/her duties.

Black-Market Trader(Corrupt): This merchant comes into town at daybreak, but leaves the town at sunset. Therefore, no Night Actions will affect him/her. This trader, however, has a dark past and will be seen as corrupt if investigated by the sheriff. This trader may recover exotic goods as he travels, which will be given to him as an item, which can be transfered like a normal item can be.
1) Is not affected by night actions (with the exception of item transfers)
2) Can find exotic goods.

Merchant(Innocent): Same as Black-Market Trader, except for this Merchant avoids the black-market, and will be seen as Innocent by the local sheriff. This trader can also recover exotic goods, but he does so less frequently than the Black-Market Trader.
1) Is not affected by night actions (with the exception of item transfers)
2) Can find exotic goods (less frequently than his/her black-market counterpart.)

Doctor(Innocent): This person can choose to protect one player of his choosing for the night. This protection counts against all assassinations, however it cannot be used on the same player on two consecutive nights (it can however be used on the doctor himself/herself.)
1) Chooses to protect one player from assassinations each night (can't be used on the same player twice in a row.)

Nurse(Innocent): This person is a trained medical professional, however he is not allowed to practice medicine until the doctor dies.
1) Assumes the position of doctor should the doctor be unable to perform his/her duties.

Wealthy Skeptic(Innocent): This person has many powers and many options (see shaman, Mafia 28.). The person can choose to investigate a person each night with a 50% chance of success. However, the Skeptic has a more powerful investigation than the sheriff, and will see the player's true loyalties, regardless of whether or not the sheriff would see it correctly. The person can also choose to protect any player from both assassination and corruption, with a 50% chance of success in that case too. Fortunately, the skeptic can protect the same player every night if he wishes too (he is not bound by the protective laws of the doctor.)
1) Can protect anyone from corrupt and assassination with a 50% chance of success.
2) Can investigate someone at a higher level than the sheriff, with a 50% chance.

Frank Sinatra- Innocent Form(Innocent): Frank Sinatra has 3 forms in this game, and he has his own unique properties! Innocent Frank Sinatra has hired bodyguards to protect himself, so he cannot be assassinated!He can, however, be corrupted.
1) Can't be assassinated by anyone (Mafia or Vigilante).

Town Elder(Innocent): This person is considered very wise.... therefore his/her vote will be valued twice as much as everyone else's votes.
1) Votes worth double.

Happy Citizen(Innocent): This person has no special skills. Damn. This person, however, can still use objects.
1) Errr..... nothing.

"Serpent Team" (Mafia Team):

Serpent Lord(Innocent): This player is the leader of the Serpent Team, and chooses which action the Mafia team will take during the game's nighttime phase. He can choose to have any one player take action that night, and he also choose's that Mafia Members Victim. The Serpent Lord can choose the same person to take action and the same victim every night if he wishes to. His identity is revealed to all Mafia members during Night 0.
1) Chooses which player should take action, whom the player's victim will be.
2) Is seen as innocent by the sheriff.
3) Each night, tells the host of his successor should he/she die/be corrupted that night. Can change his successor as often as he/she wishes to.

Boa Constricter(Mafia): This player can be chosen by the Serpent Lord to attempt to assassinate the player of the Serpent Lord's choosing.
1) Assassinates. Attacks through Bulletproof Vest.

Snake Sharpshooter(Mafia): This player can be chosen by the Serpent Lord to attempt to assassinate the player of the Serpent Lord's choosing.
1) Assassinates.

Rattlesnake(Mafia): This player can be chosen by the Serpent Lord to block another player, and prevent him/her from taking action that night.
1) Blocks Players

Mystical Snake(Mafia): This player can be chosen by the Serpent Lord to protect another player, and protect him/her from Assassinations and Corruptions 100% of the time.
1) Protects Players from assassinations and corruptions

Frank Sinatra- Mafia Form(Mafia): Frank Sinatra, in his Mafia form, wields a rifle with armor-piercing rounds, so bullet-proof vests are a joke to him. He also has a single Golden Bullet, which is so powerful that it defies even the doctor's protection! The Golden Bullet kills without fail. However it must be annouced by Serpent Lord that you'd like Frank to use a Golden Bullet for this attack. (Note: you can still be blocked when using the golden bullet, because technically, you never get the chance to use it. If you are blocked, however, you will still have the Golden Bullet for later use.)

Cripled Snake(Innocent): A wounded snake could never bite you..... or could it?
1) Looks innocent (to the sheriff.)

Undead Team (Corrupt Team)

Skeletal Warlord(Innocent): The Leader of the Undead (Corrupt Team)! He/She chooses which player to corrupt each night.
1) Chooses a player to attempt to corrupt each night
2) Appears innocent to the sheriff

Bag of Bones(Innocent): The successor to the Skeletal Warlord. It has no special powers itself, but it appears innocent to a sheriff's investigation.
1) Takes over the position of Skeletal Warlord should the Skeletal Warlod be unable to perform his/her duties.
2) Appears innocent to the sheriff.

Vampyre(Corrupt): The perfect mix of a Vampire and Pyromaniac. For most victims that it chooses, it will simply incinerate his/her foe. If, however, his/her victim is actually Frank Sinatra, Frank will be converted to the Corrupt side!
1) Assassinates victims by setting them on fire.
2) Will convert Frank Sinatra to the corrupt side if Frank is his/her target.
3) Will be killed if it targets a player with an Aqua-Shield.

Zombie Doctor(Corrupt): This player can choose to protect any player from assassination attempts, or block any player from taking action that night.
1) Protects people from assassination 100% of the time.
2) Can block any player from taking action during the night.

Frank Sinatra- Corrupted(Corrupt): A vampyre who is immune to the Aqua-Shield.
1) Assassinates victims by setting them on fire.

Minion(Corrupt): A corrupted fellow. This player has no special abilites.
1) Err.... nothing.

Items:

Bullet-Proof Vest: Good for 4 uses against normal bullets. 5 Points per remaining use at the game's end.

Aqua-Shield: Prevents a player from being incinerated by a standard Vampyre. 10 Points at the game's end.

Bag of Gold Coins: Converts a player (in any position) to your faction as a basic member (Happy Citizen, Crippled Snake, and Minion, respectively). 30 Points at the game's end.

Book of the Dead: Makes any player appear as corrupt to the sheriff's investigation! (Skeptic will still see your real position). 20 Points at the game's end.

Helmet of Peace: Prevents the owner from being corrupted! 10 Points at the game's end.

Exotic Goods: Can be used during the night. The following morning an annoucement will be made: "Many goods from distant cities were imported this morning." 10 Points at game's end.

Lie Detector: Can be used during the night to determine whether one player's statement (from any day during the game) was true or not. 15 Points at game's end.
Last edited by Rhye on Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:01 am, edited 7 times in total.

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:44 am

I will play, if you will have me.

(jester in please)

edited-

Yeh, that should get us started.

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:54 am

Thanks for signing up. The Sign-Up sheet is still a work-in-progress, so it isn't completely ready yet......

I will post when it is completed in full.
Last edited by Rhye on Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:06 am

im in

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Sat Oct 22, 2011 2:05 am

Welcome to the Game: Mazza, jesterme.

Others, feel free to join now. I still need to tweak the points system..... but other than that I think we're good.

If there is anything at is confusing in the thread, feel free to ask, and I'll get back to you ASAP. Thank you for choosing Mafia XXX.

mud
n00b educator

Post by mud » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:44 am

Fortunately I don't need to read all those fancy rules since I will likely die on the first night anyway.

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:29 am

let's try it... I'm in

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:21 am

Yep, Mud and Kude, you're in!

I think I'll write a brief summary later..... for those of you who don't feel like reading all of that. Essentially, it's only the roles that matter. Knowing about the points doesn't really put you in a better position to gain them. Most of your points will come simply from survival. (Will add a more complete points system.. once I have it better planned out.)

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:15 pm

(Note: Should too few people sign up, I will have a backup plan.)

With my lack of forum influence, it was to be expected that there would be much fewer sign-ups than usual so....... I do have a backup plan, although it would be a shame should I have to use it. It's a shame that we luxers operate like consumers. We only use the 'name-brand' products........

engie
Lux Dynamo

Post by engie » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:09 pm

In!

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:22 pm

Sounds interesting. Count me in.

TazzyGirl
Lux Loli Girl

Post by TazzyGirl » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:53 pm

Otay I'll try

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:55 pm

I won, right?

E=MC^2

That should cover it.

BTW - This looks confusing.

Can I just get a pastrami melt to go?!

SnyperEye
Anti-Holy Assgrabber

Post by SnyperEye » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:26 am

MMMmmmmm Pastrami Melt with pickles

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:38 pm

Player list updated to include:
engie
Suntzu
Tazzygirl

Oh and, by the way, are you a math-phobe, jesterme?

Also, guys, if the points system is confusing you..... just ignore it. For the more involved players, the points system is there to help you decide whether you will prioritize your partner's well-being *because your team is losing hope* or prioritize your team.

Also.... be sure to check the rules the day before the game begins. Unless there is a typo, the rules will not be changed after October 31st. But, I'm almost postive that I will edit the rules a few more times before then game starts. (I'm missing a few items, order of night actions, exact system for determining your partner's identity etc.) Also note, all edits after today will be colored orange, to show you (at a glance) what edits have been made since you last checked.

~Rhye~

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:46 pm

Rhye wrote:Player list updated to include:

Oh and, by the way, are you a math-phobe, jesterme?
I am equally afraid of my wife (who is a math teacher) and complicated math formulas. Go figure?!

:D

Schroberts
Lux Veteran

Post by Schroberts » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:06 pm

I'll give it a go :)

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:07 pm

jesterme wrote:I am equally afraid of my wife (who is a math teacher) and complicated math formulas. Go figure?!
Oh, now it makes sense :).

(Schroberts, welcome.)

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:02 pm

This is so intriguing... let me try this game later.

:lol:
John Galt
Ambit Energy, Sales Consultant
St. Louis, Missouri

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:34 pm

Ambit Energy wrote:John Galt
Who is John Galt?

Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

Post by Enzo1997 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:23 pm

In!

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:33 pm

Enzo1997 is officially in 8).

Rules will likely be finalized sometime tomorrow.

Don't be afraid to sign up people. I mean, it is a great deal. A free game of Mafia AND a free post. What more could you want?

Edit: Also, mods, if you would, delete the gay mullet guy's post. I can't stand looking at that......

Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

Post by Enzo1997 » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:28 am

I am personally going to see relatives over Thanksgiving. I hope I can still play then.

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Sat Oct 29, 2011 7:51 am

(Shouldn't last that long, I wouldn't think.)

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Sat Oct 29, 2011 8:56 am

In, please.

It looks fun... and someone has to kill Mud off. :wink:

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:06 pm

TSK is officially in 8)

General Rules added. (See post #2)

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:48 pm

Each day and each night will last 24 hours.......

The game begins (night 0) 8:00 pm Eastern Standard Time November 1st.

Sign-ups will be accepted until (roughly) 1 hour before the game starts.

A time zone converter is here.

Also.... about the number of sign-ups.... 10 is very low. So, resurrection may not be out of the question. Because of this, be sure to stay active and follow the game even after your death.... because it might not be the end after all......

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:28 pm

ten... this one'll be fast. But, I'm sure it'll be fun!