Headless Host Privileges?

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Headless Host Privileges?

Post by jesterme » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:06 am

If I use the /t command to chat with my team mate, can the person running the host from the command line (headless) see the communication?

I am assuming they must be able to. If so, the /t command is a charade and all team communications must be done outside of the actual game.

Please let me know if I am off base here.

j

mentor09
Luxer

Re: Headless Host Privileges?

Post by mentor09 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 5:39 am

jesterme wrote:If I use the /t command to chat with my team mate, can the person running the host from the command line (headless) see the communication?

I am assuming they must be able to. If so, the /t command is a charade and all team communications must be done outside of the actual game.

Please let me know if I am off base here.

j
Hi jester, yes - right now they can see it in the console and the debug log file if they look into it. I for myself never look into the file except there is a problem with the host. But i think it should be removed either way, since imo the /t communitation is pretty useless for a debug cause. Don't the mods see these communications in a crash report as well ?

@dustin: that's a valid point for the next release i think

Since the only team game you are playing on my hosts is hex lords i am assuming that you are talking about me cheating in hex lords. I you feel like that i am ready to surrender immedeately (since i am pretty sure the reds will win either way).

But in fact i am pretty sure you don't even realize yet that drSnuggles and me are doing deeper analysis than you think. In general we both do think about one move to happen but the consequences of certain possibilities up to 4 or 5 moves. So if I can see some guys moving troups towards my border where they nomally should not go to, I relize that very early and react for that. For example in Ancient China I got asked why I pulled back my forces to my home castle I got asked if I wanted to attack Zhou, but in fact it was just for defending a possible three turn attack from Zhou. I Hex Lords my analysis went even deepeer when i attacked your land while you were busy with kiling mbauer. I saw I could hold the gold mine for a time and would be able to hold west end bridge closely after that, whereas if I didn't attack you I could not hold it. for sure.

It turned even out I was wrong in my calculation because 6 moves later you were able to take West end bridge - so I retreated from there. Do you remember how upset doc was when you did not go there (re realizes such mistakes as well) ? Next turn I was able to fix this by moving in the 150 knights which were supposed to help my team mate defending his castle. Reds were able to take it in three turns but that would have been dangerous since he needed to open his own position. They did not go for it (I am pretty sure they had a reason for this, doc might explain later) but I saw red invading yellow and we could not do anything but sit and die.

Usually it takes 15-20 minutes per game and turn to evaluate a position and sometimes I do really unexpected things in order not to be predictable. For example in Roman Empire doc asked me to move back my 190 knights when you left near east. Since I had a feeling you would re-attack me I decided to stay - knowing that it was the weaker move. I was right you attacked me again and handed the game out to Carthage.

Just back to you original question: I think a host would be able to read the team chat even if it was not in the log file, since he is the owner of the hardware. So an ethernet sniffer would do the job - I am not really sure but I guess an expert would be even able to fiddle out the moves from the players if he wished to do so (actually I am pretty sure I could do this, but I have no intention for that, since I'd lose my fun playing the game and in my spare time I have other things to do).

But Jester you should realize one thing: Vox is not that much based on dice luck like Lux is, it's a strategy game and from my point of view it's closer to chess than to Lux.

cam
Lux Newbie

Post by cam » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:27 pm

i totally agree with you.except the fact that you think reds will win.

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:09 pm

@ Mentor -

Accusing you of cheating was never my intent. I apologize if I came off that way, but I assure you I was not accusing you of anything.

I was asking because if it can be viewed, it really is not a useful feature since any host could see the other teams plans. I was not specifying you nor was I accusing you.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:55 am

Yes, valid point for the next release.

jesterme
Lux Duck Lover

Post by jesterme » Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Pardon the interruption, just curious if this is slated for change in the next server/vox release?

mentor09
Luxer

Post by mentor09 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:10 am

jesterme wrote:Pardon the interruption, just curious if this is slated for change in the next server/vox release?
It is - and my servers are already running the fixed version.