Ask Baden

Lux of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish.
Post Reply
User avatar
n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Posts: 8375
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:55 am
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'
Contact:

Ask Baden

Post by n00less cluebie » Sun Nov 11, 2012 10:28 pm

Dear Baden,

There are some who say you are a crotchety old curmudgeon who likes to rant about how things were better in Days of Yore. What's the best wine pairing for rosemary-sage roasted chicken?

-N.C.

User avatar
Mike
Lux Townie
Posts: 5656
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2004 3:42 pm
Location: Alabama
Contact:

Post by Mike » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:39 am

Baden, as a German, are you uncomfortable when (as Basil Fawlty might say) 'mention the war'?

Fawlty Towers Video on You Tube

User avatar
Baden
Lux Elder
Posts: 2304
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:26 am
Location: Baden (Germany)

Post by Baden » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:42 pm

Mike wrote:Baden, as a German, are you uncomfortable when (as Basil Fawlty might say) 'mention the war'?

Fawlty Towers Video on You Tube
"Don't mention the war" is the qoute. I always liked "Fawlty Towers" and own it on DVD.

User avatar
Baden
Lux Elder
Posts: 2304
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:26 am
Location: Baden (Germany)

Re: Ask Baden

Post by Baden » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:08 pm

n00less cluebie wrote:...What's the best wine pairing for rosemary-sage roasted chicken?

-N.C.
I suggest a dry Riesling from Baden production area of course.

This from one of the various vinyards of the Margrave of Baden for example:

http://www.markgraf-von-baden.de/shop/s ... 131_gr.jpg

And here some impressions of the "Staufenberg Castle" and the surrounding vineyards:

http://www.holidaycheck.com/things_to_d ... 31640.html

User avatar
plummy
Community Fruit
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:15 pm

Post by plummy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:11 pm

Baden,

What role does the Holocaust play in the German education system? I am not asking this question to offend anyone; my great grandpa was held in a concentration camp and died a few days after liberation. I am just curious if it is taught in history classes the same way it is in the US.

Plum

User avatar
Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison
Posts: 5811
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Well...here!

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:12 pm

Old World", "New World"? Both variants have their charme. I live in a house that is older than the American consitution.

We had famous riots for freedom and liberal constitution in 1847 in my town but a shameful period of prosecution between 1933 and 1945 as well.

Anyone who lives in old Europe and has a feeling for history is blessed and bears a burden as well.

I am not very religious but I have an option that not many people have:

Within half an hour I may step into the Cathedral of Strasbourg (btw. world's tallest building from 1647 to 1874).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strasbourg_Cathedral

That is not the "virtual world". It is an impressing place where you may breathe silently history.

I don't have to play "Rome". I may visit many places in my neighborhood where ancient Rome left traces. - Baden


I think this is my favorite (non humorous) Baden Quote. I think it belongs in his thread. Although I don't have a question....

-LLama

User avatar
Rhye
Lux Crooner
Posts: 2447
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:42 pm
Location: From Here to Eternity

Post by Rhye » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:55 pm

(For Baden's full post visit the link below.)

http://sillysoft.net/forums/viewtopic.p ... 9&start=49

User avatar
Kude
omni member
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:18 pm
Location: waiting in line for luxtober §

Post by Kude » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:37 pm

Baden, how does one correctly pronounce your name? (and the city's name?)

User avatar
THE J-Dude
Underage Luxer
Posts: 1587
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:06 pm
Location: The USA's Omni Church

Post by THE J-Dude » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:45 pm

∞ JUD.E coughs at kude. ∞

{Ba·den; Verb: To bathe.} I assume it is pronounced the same as the German word.

User avatar
Baden
Lux Elder
Posts: 2304
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:26 am
Location: Baden (Germany)

Post by Baden » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:47 pm

Professor Plum wrote:Baden,

What role does the Holocaust play in the German education system? I am not asking this question to offend anyone; my great grandpa was held in a concentration camp and died a few days after liberation. I am just curious if it is taught in history classes the same way it is in the US.

Plum
Whom you might offend? Only the few hardcore fascists and they deserve it.

The Holocaust is taught intensively in the classes but I have no idea if more ore less than in the US.

Fore sure the topic is taught nowadays more than it was in the first two decades after WW2. At that time you could not be sure that your teacher was a former Nazi.

One aspect is interesting. In East-Germany the Holocaust did play a comparably bigger role in the schools but as part of the communist propaganda: In the focus were rather the communist and not the jewish victims. Adenauer as chancellor of West-Germany practiced a policy of restitution to the Jews, an issue to which Adenauer was deeply committed. On the other hand the East-German government denied responsability and refused any restititution, saw Israel as an enemy and even supported the enemies of Israel. The argument was: We as communists were always Anti-fascists.

After the reunification we may watch the fatal result of this lip-service. A significantly higher percentage of the youth and the population in East-Germany votes for the fascist party NPD while at the other end of the scale the rest of the communist party is still playing a role as well. The extreme right and left are fighting street-battles but in one point there is an accordance: Both hate Israel.

The only remedies are better education in schools, better observation by the intelligence service and enforcement of law. Happily the vast majority has no sympathy for extremists.

However the Neo-Nazi scene is not only a problem in Germany. In some other countries like Poland, Serbia or especially Russia it seems to be even worse. These people (a rather uneducated and dumb crowd) hate any people who are not of their "race".

This is interesting since it shows that there are strong official sanctions vs. Neo-Nazis in Germany: "Court: okay to sweep neo-Nazi from public job".

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20121107-46035.html

But I remember a discussion in the Pub we had some years ago. Many did argue that the German laws and policy (for example in the Scientology case as well) are too restrictive.

User avatar
Baden
Lux Elder
Posts: 2304
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:26 am
Location: Baden (Germany)

Post by Baden » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:04 pm

kude wrote:Baden, how does one correctly pronounce your name? (and the city's name?)
Phonetic Pronunciation: BAHD-un

Btw. it is not only the name of the famous but rather small city Baden-Baden while Heidelberg a city in the country Baden is possibly even more.

I believe that Heidelberg is still beside Munich, the Black-Forest (in Baden too) and the Neuschwanstein-Castle one of the top destinations of American and Japanese tourists. Berlin has gained more attraction lately for sure as well.

Here you may get more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baden

User avatar
Baden
Lux Elder
Posts: 2304
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:26 am
Location: Baden (Germany)

I suspect it is a trick!

Post by Baden » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:07 pm

You urge me to answer a lot of questions. I suspect you are happy if I spend my time here instead of playing games (especially after a good winnig streak lately) :)

User avatar
Kude
omni member
Posts: 1890
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:18 pm
Location: waiting in line for luxtober §

Post by Kude » Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:12 pm

They let you onto the forums, they let you into the HOF, and now they give you your own topic. It must be a ploy to keep you distracted.

User avatar
n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Posts: 8375
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:55 am
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'
Contact:

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:04 pm

Dear Baden,

Word is that when playing all versions of Lux Classic, you prefer a strategy centered around taking OZ even when it has been proven that this is not ALWAYS the best plan.

Have you heard of P.D.Q. Bach (who is said to have spent time in Baden-Baden-Baden)? What is your opinion of such farcical music?

User avatar
Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison
Posts: 5811
Joined: Sat Oct 06, 2007 1:23 pm
Location: Well...here!

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:19 pm

I love PDQ Bach. I haven't heard that name for years!

:D [/code]

User avatar
n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Posts: 8375
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:55 am
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'
Contact:

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Llux Llama wrote:I love PDQ Bach. I haven't heard that name for years!

:D [/code]
Is this thread llabelled llectures from the lloquacious llux llama? No? Hmm, may be you should start one.

User avatar
Baden
Lux Elder
Posts: 2304
Joined: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:26 am
Location: Baden (Germany)

Post by Baden » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:33 pm

n00less cluebie wrote:...
Have you heard of P.D.Q. Bach (who is said to have spent time in Baden-Baden-Baden)? What is your opinion of such farcical music?
Funny. Never heard of P.D.Q.

Sounds interesting. Need some time to hear a bit.

User avatar
plummy
Community Fruit
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:15 pm

Post by plummy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:43 pm

Baden wrote:
Professor Plum wrote:Baden,

What role does the Holocaust play in the German education system? I am not asking this question to offend anyone; my great grandpa was held in a concentration camp and died a few days after liberation. I am just curious if it is taught in history classes the same way it is in the US.

Plum
Whom you might offend? Only the few hardcore fascists and they deserve it.

The Holocaust is taught intensively in the classes but I have no idea if more ore less than in the US.

Fore sure the topic is taught nowadays more than it was in the first two decades after WW2. At that time you could not be sure that your teacher was a former Nazi.

One aspect is interesting. In East-Germany the Holocaust did play a comparably bigger role in the schools but as part of the communist propaganda: In the focus were rather the communist and not the jewish victims. Adenauer as chancellor of West-Germany practiced a policy of restitution to the Jews, an issue to which Adenauer was deeply committed. On the other hand the East-German government denied responsability and refused any restititution, saw Israel as an enemy and even supported the enemies of Israel. The argument was: We as communists were always Anti-fascists.

After the reunification we may watch the fatal result of this lip-service. A significantly higher percentage of the youth and the population in East-Germany votes for the fascist party NPD while at the other end of the scale the rest of the communist party is still playing a role as well. The extreme right and left are fighting street-battles but in one point there is an accordance: Both hate Israel.

The only remedies are better education in schools, better observation by the intelligence service and enforcement of law. Happily the vast majority has no sympathy for extremists.

However the Neo-Nazi scene is not only a problem in Germany. In some other countries like Poland, Serbia or especially Russia it seems to be even worse. These people (a rather uneducated and dumb crowd) hate any people who are not of their "race".

This is interesting since it shows that there are strong official sanctions vs. Neo-Nazis in Germany: "Court: okay to sweep neo-Nazi from public job".

http://www.thelocal.de/national/20121107-46035.html

But I remember a discussion in the Pub we had some years ago. Many did argue that the German laws and policy (for example in the Scientology case as well) are too restrictive.
I was intrigued until you called us Poles dumb lol

User avatar
n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Posts: 8375
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2008 8:55 am
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'
Contact:

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:54 pm

Some notable examples:

Overture 1712

Eine Kleine Nichtmusik

or one of my favorite pieces chronicling one of Iphigenia's LESSER known travels:

Iphigenia in Brooklyn

User avatar
The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker
Posts: 5617
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:29 pm

Post by The Silken Knot » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:00 pm

Professor, I believe it was the Neo-Nazis he was talking about.

∞ TSK makes Professor Plum a nice cuppa, and hands him a plate of pierogi ∞

User avatar
plummy
Community Fruit
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 4:15 pm

Post by plummy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Thanks tsky! :o

Post Reply