The 7th Annual Lux Castle Tournament

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

The 7th Annual Lux Castle Tournament

Post by paranoiarodeo » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:00 pm

Welcome to the 7th Annual Lux Castle Tournament

(Brought to you this year by new management: Lincoln and the Semi-Holy Church of Lux.)

The annual Lux Castle Tournament is a tradition unlike any other in our community. In the first month of every new year since 2007, six teams have gathered together to compete on a battlefield that rewards both individual skill and team camaraderie. Throughout those years, specific players have come and gone, teams have risen and fallen, but one thing has always remained the same: Good times have been had by those who chose to enjoy themselves and have some fun. This year will be no different in that regard.

WHAT IS THE CASTLE TOURNAMENT?

This event is a celebration of Lux's castle themed maps. Players are divided into six teams. Every game includes one player from each team. Points are awarded based on place, kill bonuses, and time penalties. The final rankings, both for teams and individuals, are based on month long average scores. There will be no playoffs. Every game is equally important as any other, no matter if it is played on the first day or last. Each player is required to play a minimum of five games during the month, and their team will be penalized for failure to reach said minimum.

Castle maps contain a wide variety of challenges, as well as opportunities for unique styles, strategies, trickery, etc. In many ways, Castle is very different than our usual daily grind of Biodeux, Rome, and Classic. Don't be fooled into thinking you can just show up whenever, ride around like a lone cowboy, and succeed in this tournament. Experience matters. Coaching your fellow teammates matters even more. Long story short, you will get outta this tourney what you, and your teammates, put into it, together. Yes, together. That is what matters most of all. Just ask those who've won before, and those who haven't.

REGISTRATION

There are a limited number of spaces available. Returning players from the 2012 campaign will be given first priority. Their names are listed below, and I will update the table as they confirm or decline their invitations for this year's event. Bolded names indicate participation, and strikethroughs show who won't be joining the party. If you are a returning player, then please post a "yea or nay" in this thread. You have one week — until Thursday January 3rd 2013 @ 8pm Eastern US — to claim your reserved spot. More importantly, I ask that everyone spread the word! Please contact your fellow teammates and friends on other teams via PM, IM, email, telephone, text message, fax, carrier pigeon, etc. The more, the merrier!

New and former players will be assigned to teams at my discretion. Those who played in previous years, and fulfilled the minimum games requirement, will be given higher priority. Former team allegiances will factor into their placement. Everyone else will be ordered based on recent games played, forum posts, reputation, etc. In other words, I will consult with returning players, gather their opinions, then decide who is most likely to be an active participant and good teammate. Again, space is limited. All six teams must have an equal number of players with a maximum of six or seven on each team. Please do not be too disappointed if you are not invited. There will be other events and tournaments for you to play in the future.

If you are a new or former player, and would like to apply for a space in this year's tournament, then please post in this thread, as soon as possible. Next Thursday, after reservations have expired, then I will post a final roster of returning players, and I will send I will send everyone a private message. I will ask all prospective players to rank their preference of teams in order, and I will ask all returning players to rank their preference of prospects too. Those results will weigh heavily in my final decisions.

(There may one or two player swaps between teams, but only if absolutely necessary.)

OFFICIAL TEAM ROSTERS FOR 2013

<table width='720' border='0' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0'><tr height='30' valign='center' align='center'><td width='120' bgcolor='ffddab'>AIR</td><td width='120' bgcolor='d5abff'>BANE</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abd5ab'>EARTH</td><td width='120' bgcolor='ffabab'>FIRE</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abffff'>VIRTUE</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abcdff'>WATER</td></tr><tr height='30' valign='center' align='center'><td width='120' bgcolor='ffddab'>3DA</td><td width='120' bgcolor='d5abff'>GENERAL K</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abd5ab'>*MANIMAL</td><td width='120' bgcolor='ffabab'>DRIFTER</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abffff'>BWE</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abcdff'>BOD</td></tr><tr height='30' valign='center' align='center'><td width='120' bgcolor='ffddab'>CAPICOLA</td><td width='120' bgcolor='d5abff'>HOODIE</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abd5ab'>CORTES</td><td width='120' bgcolor='ffabab'>ENOKRAD</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abffff'>GEORGE874</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abcdff'>DOLLABILLZ</td></tr><tr height='30' valign='center' align='center'><td width='120' bgcolor='ffddab'>ENZO1997</td><td width='120' bgcolor='d5abff'>MAZZA</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abd5ab'>DOMINATOR</td><td width='120' bgcolor='ffabab'>GUILLERME</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abffff'>GFIPS</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abcdff'>ENGIE</td></tr><tr height='30' valign='center' align='center'><td width='120' bgcolor='ffddab'>MATT LEAF</td><td width='120' bgcolor='d5abff'>MUD</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abd5ab'>KUDE</td><td width='120' bgcolor='ffabab'>HEARTS</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abffff'>GYPSYMYSTYC</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abcdff'>GLU</td></tr><tr height='30' valign='center' align='center'><td width='120' bgcolor='ffddab'>MILLTYCOON</td><td width='120' bgcolor='d5abff'>SAMUEL99</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abd5ab'>MARAUDER</td><td width='120' bgcolor='ffabab'>PACKMAN</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abffff'>LANTERN</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abcdff'>MENTOR09</td></tr><tr height='30' valign='center' align='center'><td width='120' bgcolor='ffddab'>RHYE</td><td width='120' bgcolor='d5abff'>SCHROBERTS</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abd5ab'>MUMPS</td><td width='120' bgcolor='ffabab'>SHOCK</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abffff'>SOUNDBOY</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abcdff'>PLUMMY</td></tr><tr height='30' valign='center' align='center'><td width='120' bgcolor='ffddab'></td><td width='120' bgcolor='d5abff'>SYMBIOSIS</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abd5ab'>TSK</td><td width='120' bgcolor='ffabab'>WHIRLPLAID</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abffff'>STELEE</td><td width='120' bgcolor='abcdff'>PSU7685</td></tr></table>
(Posted on Monday, January 7th. I think this works best in terms of skills and personalities. Good luck all.)

WHAT HAS CHANGED?

Good question. For the most part, this year's tournament will be very much like the last two years. Scoring will be similar, in terms of specific points for place, kill bonuses, time penalties, etc., with a few small tweaks. There will be a constantly updated leaderboard too. The majority of maps will be the same, but there will be some substitutions. There will be a modified code of conduct, and a formal three strikes policy, with clear penalties and ejections. There may or may not be prizes, and I will have more information about that next week.

Like Survivor, this year's Castle event will include automatic player queue promotion and demotion. No more leaving the room and coming back in a specific order. I will be hosting members only chat rooms for each team, including a #ready command, so your team can pick a player in private without alerting other teams who will be in the next game. I will be tracking starting position order, and making adjustments as the month goes along, so all teams and individuals get a fair shake. Maybe even host side forced guest status, so I won't have to nag folks about jumping into or outta each game. Hopefully, these changes will make your tournament experience smoother than ever before, and reduce the stress and frustration of fooling around between games.

But what about new tricks? Ah, yes. It wouldn't be a para tourney without some shiny toys, huh? Awhile back, I built a quick beta rankings page — link — to demonstrate how your forum login can be used to customize results. I will be expanding that page in the next two weeks to include time-zone adjusted schedules, so you won't have to worry about stoopid math whenever I announce future dates. Also, I will setup a way for you to inform me, and your teammates, about your potential availability for upcoming games. Hopefully, such data will alert your team to participation problems before they happen, and allow me to schedule the best times for as many people as possible. Oh, and finally, I'd like to setup a simple Twitter-like stream, so you can post short text messages for your team, in order to facilitate better communication and preparation. Kinda like a mini forum thread right there on your Castle schedule and results page.

(Sounds good? I think so, but it's gonna take plenty of work to make it happen. Wish me luck!)

FIRST OFFICIAL GAME BEGINS ON THURSDAY JANUARY 10th 2013 @ 8pm EASTERN US

We will play every other day thereafter for roughly four hours each day. The tournament will last roughly four weeks, give or take a couple of days, based on the number of players on each team, overall participation, number of new maps, etc. I will take great care to vary starting times in order to accommodate international players, and those in the western hemisphere with unique schedules, so please don't be scared to sign up for the tourney if you're worried about that sorta thing. I will be opening a room this weekend that will rotate through common castle maps, including a winner picks option, so everyone can begin sharpening their swords. Maybe we can play a few preseason scrimmage games too, and get those competitive juices flowing, and stoke rivalries both new and old beforehand. As far as I'm concerned, the 7th Annual Lux Castle Tournament begins now. Let slip the dogs of war!

POSTSCRIPT

It's my distinct honor and privilege to carry forward the tradition that SnyperEye established, and worked so hard over the years to maintain and nurture. I wouldn't be able to do what I'm doing today and next month without him. I'm standing on the shoulders of a Lux giant as it were. On a more personal note, I'm proud to have two complete Luxtoberfests, and one crazy Survivor month, under my belt as tournament master, plus two prior Castle tourneys as scorer and helper. I've learned a great deal along the way, and made plenty of mistakes too. I can only promise to bring my experience to bear in striving to make this event our most memorable yet. I hope I will succeed, but more importantly, I hope everyone enjoys the tournament. Good luck all!

∞ paranoiarodeo hereby opens this thread to the masses ∞

:castle :castle :castle :castle :castle :castle
Last edited by paranoiarodeo on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:49 am, edited 71 times in total.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

(Reserved for future use.)
Last edited by paranoiarodeo on Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:37 am, edited 6 times in total.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

LEADERBOARD

http://sillysoft.net/para/castles/

BRIEF SCORING RULES

First: 8 points
Second: 5 points
Third: 4 points
Fourth: 3 points
Fifth: 2 points
Sixth: 1 point

Kills: 1 point each

Time penalty: -1 point every five minutes after one hour pro-rated by second.

(Time penalty rules likely to change.)

There is a fifteen minute grace period between games. If a team is absent after fifteen minutes, then they will be replaced by an empty bot. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If a team suddenly appears one or two minutes after the grace period has lapsed, then there will be no restart regardless.

Lantern gets all up in para's post and puts the leaderboard here for everyone to see
Last edited by paranoiarodeo on Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drifter
Semiholy Rambler
Location: An undisclosed location... for reasons of security, and therefore... insecurity...

Post by Drifter » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:11 pm

BURN BABY BURN!

That would be a definite Yea.

∞ Drifter readies the carrier pigeons ∞

Marauder
Midnight Luxer

Post by Marauder » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:24 pm

EARTH

:globe

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Thu Dec 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:35 pm

Rhye signs his name under the newbie category.

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:29 pm

Uhm......HELL YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!

The torches are lit, the dragons awake and your castles ready to be burned once again :torch:

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:05 pm

Sounds good!

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous
Location: Habitual board flippers should have their dice taken away.

Post by WhirlPlaid » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:08 am

Yea!!!!!

mazza
Lux Sugar Daddy

Post by mazza » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:44 am

Bane is a Modern English word meaning "that which causes ruin or woe", from the Old English bana ("slayer", "murderer"), from the Proto-Germanic *banon, cognate with *banja ("wound").

Bring it on once again freaks

Mumps
Disease of Lux

Post by Mumps » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:49 am

Ready to rumble :wink:

Lets just hope this tourney doesn't go like castles in Luxtober ...

bod
BOD isn´t a bot

Post by bod » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:17 am

Cool, count me in, dont forget captain I am in EU so my normal playing times are 18:00hrs to 22:00hrs Central European time.

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

IN for VIRTUE

Post by GFips » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:48 am

V VI VIR VIRT VIRTU VIRTUE
I am in and hope all my team mates will confirm too! Lets redo 2010!

Stelee
RENUNCIANT

Post by Stelee » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:50 am

I'd like to apply please. Games, I have... Forum posts, enough... Reputation, umm...

/me jots her name low on the list to cushion her potential disappointment... Wait... Stelee looks at some of the asshats who have played in the past and thinks she's fine!

ps: FWIW, as far as AFK, my appearance at Survivor will attest to the fact that I don't go AFK in tourney play.

;)
Last edited by Stelee on Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Schroberts
Lux Veteran

Post by Schroberts » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:56 pm

IN!

George874
Lux Surveyor

Post by George874 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:15 pm

YUUP,,,, IM IN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

General K
Lux KAPITALIST

Post by General K » Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:58 pm

Count me in despite my Jan schedule, I might be able to play some.

plummy
Community Fruit

Post by plummy » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:02 pm

in

Milltycoon
Bagels with Lux

Post by Milltycoon » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:31 pm

I am in. I don't know how to make my font yellow.

Milltycoon
Bagels with Lux

Post by Milltycoon » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:32 pm

Oh. It was right above me. I am in. I should probably stick to black still.

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Would have loved to play for EARTH again this year but i will be extremely busy these coming two months and cant make any promises. So i think it will be better to give my seat away.

Good luck EARTH !!!

(i hope to play again next year)

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:09 pm

I have unfinished business.

Lets go.

mentor09
Luxer

in

Post by mentor09 » Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:49 pm

in :-)

engie
Lux Dynamo

Post by engie » Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:34 pm

In!

guillerme
Lux Addict

Post by guillerme » Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:06 pm

In! Fireeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Lantern
Lux Superhero

Post by Lantern » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:16 pm

In!!

Samuel99
MOTW For Life

Post by Samuel99 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:37 pm

I just cant wait for this.

Enzo1997
Lux Vacationer

Post by Enzo1997 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:20 pm

In!

3DA
Luxtopian

Post by 3DA » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:44 am

Hey y'all - I'd love to play this year, but I'm quite sure I'll be too busy to participate meaningfully. Best of luck to my Air Brothers!