Whirl of Misfortune.

Lincoln wears an eyepatch. Celebrating ten years of online Lux.
n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Re: Whirl of Misfortune.

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:50 pm

This is CLOSER to the "kissing the gunner's daughter" mistake then forgetting a whole word.

Subject: Whirl of Misfortune.
n00less cluebie wrote:If it IS "Kissing the Gunner's Daughter", I'm ok with calling that one a mulligan and forgoing any points I'd have earned on it. . . .
Behemoth may be right on this one. I gave up on Kissing the Gunner's daughter when WP missed a "g". But I agree Shaun/Shawn isn't such a game changer and I don't believe anyone gave up the correct solution thinking "nope it can't be Shawn Fanning because there's no 'w' here!" I'd suggest para deserves at least partial if not full credit for solving

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:53 pm

(Just 'cause you were a gentleman and forfeited your earnings doesn't mean I'm gonna unless Whirly says so.)

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:55 pm

shouldn't be a matter of which one was more misleading - if it has the potential to throw a player off at all then it's a mulligan

n00less and myself previously passed on cash because of errors, you wanna be the odd man out?

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:59 pm

But I wasn't thrown off, and neither were you.

(Show me the money!)

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:03 pm

He IS a pirate :pirate: , and its his prerogative until WP rules one way or another ....

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:07 pm

paranoiarodeo wrote:But I wasn't thrown off, and neither were you.

(Show me the money!)
assumptionist

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:10 pm

without the definite article 'old man and the sea' just didn't seem right. Only reason I didn't submit it, went with rum, rum, etc instead. I didn't get anything for having the right answer all along...

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:11 pm

Well, were you?

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:22 pm

were? what? :smt030

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:30 pm

Behemoth wrote:were? what? :smt030
If you had seen the "w" would you have guessed the Fannings?

I almost guessed "the old man and the sea" until i recounted the number of the words. I wasn't close enough to Shawn Fanning to beat para

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:35 pm

n00less cluebie wrote:This is CLOSER to the "kissing the gunner's daughter" mistake then forgetting a whole word.

Subject: Whirl of Misfortune.
n00less cluebie wrote:If it IS "Kissing the Gunner's Daughter", I'm ok with calling that one a mulligan and forgoing any points I'd have earned on it. . . .
Behemoth may be right on this one. I gave up on Kissing the Gunner's daughter when WP missed a "g". But I agree Shaun/Shawn isn't such a game changer and I don't believe anyone gave up the correct solution thinking "nope it can't be Shawn Fanning because there's no 'w' here!" I'd suggest para deserves at least partial if not full credit for solving
lemme get this right... after a missing word in the previous puzzle was added you immediately called it a mulligan... even though i posted the correct solution after the puzzle was fixed. Paranoia solved this one while it was still broke.

All players had a chance to guess on a corrected puzzle for old man and the sea - they didn't for this puzzle.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:36 pm

paranoiarodeo wrote:(If I gave you the missing W, and two more hours by yourself, then you still wouldn't have solved this puzzle.)
∞ paranoiarodeo says you'll have to pry these Napster doubloons from his cold dead hands ∞

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Lets wait and see what WP decides

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous
Location: Habitual board flippers should have their dice taken away.

Post by WhirlPlaid » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:47 pm

FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK

Spelling is correct.

W should be in there.

I fucked up again.

and I quit.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:47 pm

(Don't let Behemoth make you quit!)

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous

Post by WhirlPlaid » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:56 pm

It has nothing to do with Behemoth it is all about my ineptitude. I fucking hate getting caught making simple fucking mistakes.

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous

Post by WhirlPlaid » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:59 pm

It was a fun game. I enjoyed hosting. Maybe I'll do it again in the future, but this is it for Luxtoberfest X. Well played everyone, congratulations n00less cluebie for topping the leaderboard. Congratulations to Behemoth for solving so many puzzles without ever seeing a single letter. Very impressive.

GG's

Peace
WP

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:00 pm

No reason to be upset though, Whirly. This Shaun / Shawn mixup is a very minor thing. Tiny little mistake. It didn't affect the puzzle in any meaningful way, and it didn't ruin my fun in trying to solve it. I coulda guessed Shaun and tried to sneak it through that way, but didn't think it was a big enough deal to bother. Oh well. Thanks for hosting, sir. Good times despite the bickering.

∞ paranoiarodeo shrugs ∞

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:02 pm

paranoia wrestles to get the engine car back on it's tracks so he can derail it again when the mood takes him.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:03 pm

GG WHIRL.

I guess we'll never know who would've won...

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:17 pm

Behemoth wrote:paranoia wrestles to get the engine car back on it's tracks so he can derail it again when the mood takes him.
Behemoth wrote:I guess we'll never know who would've won...
You know what, Behemoth? You're being a real killjoy about this. If you ask me, then I'll say that last line about "never knowing" is a sore loser's slap in Whirly's face after he put quite a bit of time and effort into making this a fun game for all. Maybe you shoulda been honest about not being close to solving this particular puzzle, and let an irrelevant misspelling slide, instead of being so quick to scream "mulligan" like a spoilsport. Mistakes happen, and sometimes it's best to give others, both players and hosts, the benefit of the doubt for the sake of good times. And maybe you coulda GG'd Cloobie for winning with a sizable lead that woulda been equally large if both the "gunnar's daughter" and Hemingway puzzles had been scored without complaint. Showing a little bit of class wouldn't hurt you.

:smt019

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:28 pm

Behemoth wrote:shouldn't be a matter of which one was more misleading - if it has the potential to throw a player off at all then it's a mulligan
paranoiarodeo wrote:But I wasn't thrown off, and neither were you.

(Show me the money!)
I'm sorry if your Mummy gave you the impression everything was all about you.

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous

Post by WhirlPlaid » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:29 pm

Side note: I thought the Napster pirates puzzle was clever, too bad I couldn't see it to fruition.

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous

Post by WhirlPlaid » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:31 pm

WhirlPlaid takes a deep breath, exhales, and moves on.

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:32 pm

paranoiarodeo wrote: Showing a little bit of class wouldn't hurt you.

Coming from the only player who wouldn't accept a mulligan.

(it was a gg whirl, don't listen to him)

Nuff.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:05 am

Earlier in the game, both Cloobie and Schroberts called you out for poor sportsmanship 'cause you were trying to steamroll everyone else with your free passes. You blew them off by insisting there were "no rules against it." I spoke up about the same issue after I began playing, and your response was essentially the same. These casual forum games shouldn't be decided on technicalities. Winning shouldn't be so important that you should end up taking advantage of loopholes, or wagging your finger at the rulebook whenever others raise their eyebrows.

As for this last puzzle? I'd guess you were excited about hitting the jackpot on your N guess. That gave you enough potential earnings to pass Cloobie for the overall lead. I also know you were in the forums all afternoon long, and witnessed Whirly's updates in progress. You nailed several earlier puzzles without any letters at all, but this time around, you were obviously stumped, or else you wouldn't have waited half an hour to guess a single letter without following up with more letters and a final answer. The single missing W wouldn't have made any difference for you as you've been shrewd enough to get around such bumps in the road before. Insisting upon yet another mulligan was unnecessary and unsporting.

∞ paranoiarodeo shrugs ∞

Behemoth
Lux Flyweight

Post by Behemoth » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:06 am

freak.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:08 am

Lighten up, Behemoth. It might do you some good.

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor

Post by n00less cluebie » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:10 am

All in all a well fought game! As this was a first time, it's no surprise that there were a few hiccups, but it was supergood. Behemoth was able to snypereye some impressive puzzles without waiting to see any letters. para set the barstar high in terms of solving some really tough puzzles, and had he been playing the first half of the month, who knows? Schroberts nearly turned the tide early one with some great solves, and in the end, Whirlplaid was no nimrod7 in coming up with a few choice gems (for the record, until the first letters were revealed I thought the last puzzle was Jack Sparrow, ??? and Will Turner) Thanks for the fun! :pirate:

Schroberts
Lux Veteran

Post by Schroberts » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanks so much for putting this together, Whirly! :smt058