Six-Days War Map

Synchronized-turns strategy. Calling all teamers.
PerseusSpartacus
Luxer

Six-Days War Map

Post by PerseusSpartacus » Sat May 30, 2015 8:57 pm

I've noticed there are no maps in Castle Vox for the Six-Days War (Israel vs. Egypt, Jordan & Syria back in 1967). This seems like a good war to make a map for - the combat would be very dynamic, with a clear balance between a larger starting army for Israel and a larger economy for the Arab Coalition. I wonder if anyone would want to make such a map? Another sensible choice would be the Yom Kippur War, of course - that would be equally fun. Better yet would be a series of maps covering the military history of Israel from 1948 onwards, but even just a single map for one of either of the two big wars (Six-Days or Yom Kippur) would be really neat.

IDEAS:
To give the game a little more realism and a more interesting balance, you can split Israel into three 'Commands' - Northern, Central, and Southern. Northern Command controls everything north and east of Haifa, Central Command controls everything from Tel Aviv to West Jerusalem, and Southern Command controls everything south of Ashqelon.

You could also have Israeli 'Air-Force' units - basically Tanks sitting in slots off the map that can be dropped in at enemy borders, sort of like the 'Kamikaze' units on the Iwo Jima map. You can have one 'Air-Force' for each Israeli Command. The Northern Air-Force could attack the Golan Heights and perhaps just inwards of there, the Central Air-Force could attack the West Bank and all along the western border of Jordan, and Southern Air-Force could attack all along the northern coast of Sinai (I wouldn't bother including the rest of Egypt on the map - simply have factories at crossing points along the Suez Canal, and have that be as far west as the map goes). You could even include Para-Troopers under the control of the Southern Command that can attack the southern tip of Sinai, if you want.

SnyperEye
Anti-Holy Assgrabber

Re: Six-Days War Map

Post by SnyperEye » Sat May 30, 2015 10:09 pm

Interesting Idea :idea:

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:02 pm

Thanks for the map suggestion! I'll pass it along to MB the map-maker :smt023

PerseusSpartacus
Luxer

Post by PerseusSpartacus » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:13 pm

Cool! I'm eager to see what he comes up with. :)

General K
Lux KAPITALIST

Post by General K » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:42 pm

hmmm... How about a series of maps for Israel-Lebanon wars.

the 1982 war (too bloody but messy)
the 2000 guerrilla wars (it should start with an overwhelming Israeli armies vs underground guerrillas and Syrians backed up with super great dice)
the 2006 war (same as the 2000 version but this time without the Syrians - which means more super dice).

8)

PerseusSpartacus
Luxer

Post by PerseusSpartacus » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:51 pm

Well, the 1982 war could certainly work. I think it would be great as part of a series of five maps covering the military history of Israel in the 20th century: the 1948 Arab-Israeli War, 1956 Suez Crisis, 1967 Six-Day War, 1973 Yom Kippur War, and the 1982 Lebanon War. Some thoughts on these maps:

1948 Arab-Israeli War:
Arab League: Jordan, Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq
Israel: Northern, Central, & Southern Commands
This would be something of a reverse of the Six-Day War scenario, albeit confined to a smaller area. Instead of the Israelis starting with more troops and the Arabs having a larger economy, the Israelis would have the larger economy (representing how the Israeli army grew so rapidly during the war), while the Arabs would start with more troops and small economies. Obviously the map couldn't really extend beyond Israel and the regions immediately bordering it, which may be problematic for including Iraq, but I'm sure that could be worked out somehow.

1956 Suez Crisis:
Coalition: Israel, Britain, France
Egypt: Egypt, Fedayeen?
In terms of balance, this would probably have to work itself out in a manner similar to the Iwo Jima map or the Iraq War map from American History Lux, where there's really a defending power and a set of invading powers. The invaders would obviously need more starting units, but would have smaller economies individually. To make the game more interesting, you could include the Palestinian 'Fedayeen' guerilla forces - they would obviously need a significant strength boost compared to the real-life Fedayeen forces.

1967 Six-Day War:
Arab Coalition: Egypt, Syria, Jordan
Israel: Northern, Central, & Southern Commands
I already gave all my thoughts for this. 'Nuff said.

1973 Yom Kippur War:
Arab Coalition: Egypt & Syria
Israel: Northern & Southern Commands
The balance of this would be sort of like the 1948 War on a larger scale - Israel has the economy bonus, but Egypt & Syria have more starting units.

1982 Lebanon War:
Arab Coalition: PLO/Fatah & Syria
Israel: Israel & Phalange
I don't really know what the game balance here would be like - the situation is more complicated here, and any map covering this war would have a very tenuous nature, where the advantage can very quickly change hands.

Anyways, those are just my little overviews of how I think these maps could work.

PerseusSpartacus
Luxer

Post by PerseusSpartacus » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:05 am

Actually, I should clarify one thing I got wrong: Lebanon did not really participate in the 1948 war very much - certainly not enough to warrant their inclusion in a 1948 Arab-Israeli War scenario. My mistake.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:45 pm

Here's what I came up with for the 6 day war map. It's in BETA now and balancing it has been a little tricky. Eager to hear any thoughts.

SnyperEye
Anti-Holy Assgrabber

Post by SnyperEye » Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:23 am

Is this based on a 4-player map?

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:55 pm

Yes it is

PerseusSpartacus
Luxer

Post by PerseusSpartacus » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:45 am

Very neat! I'm very pleased to see progress on this, and would be happy to help test it if need be. It looks cool and a lot simpler than my original idea. :P

General K
Lux KAPITALIST

Post by General K » Sat Jan 09, 2016 8:37 am

Just a remark, I don't know what the crescent means next to the Lebanese armies, but Lebanon is multi-sectarian country where christians, muslims and druze have balanced presence.

PerseusSpartacus
Luxer

Post by PerseusSpartacus » Sat Jan 09, 2016 10:52 am

In this map, it looks like the crescent is merely the symbol of the Arab alliance - i.e. Syria, Egypt, and Jordan. Now, it makes sense that at this point Lebanon would be included under the control of Syria, because until the '70s and '80s, Lebanon was governed by the Muslim majority and was very closely linked, politically speaking, to Syria. Indeed, the later 1982 intervention by Israel in the Lebanese Civil War could be characterized as a battle between Israel and Syria for dominance over Lebanon.

General K
Lux KAPITALIST

Post by General K » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:08 am

PerseusSpartacus wrote:because until the '70s and '80s, Lebanon was governed by the Muslim majority...
inaccurate.
During this period (1975-1990) lebanon had civil war and was divided between a free zone and a syrian/palestinian occupied zone.
The Christians were in power and now they are sharing power with muslims.
just a fact: the president of the country and the army chief are both Christians by constitution - and still are to date.

PerseusSpartacus
Luxer

Post by PerseusSpartacus » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:09 pm

Interesting. I don't really know Lebanese history very well (it feels like it and Syria, historically speaking, are the most complicated countries to understand in the whole Middle East). It makes sense that they would share power there today - given so many ethno-religious divisions, it's vital to make all parties feel like they got a fair deal, otherwise... well, we know what happens. :smt009

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:32 pm

General K wrote:Just a remark, I don't know what the crescent means next to the Lebanese armies, but Lebanon is multi-sectarian country where christians, muslims and druze have balanced presence.
the cresent in that picture is the team icon of the player who controls that country at the moment. In another team's player takes it over, the icon would change to theirs. It's a gameplay feature.

Loell
Lux Newbie

Post by Loell » Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:53 am

I love that 6 day war map. Has it been implemented into the game yet? I haven't found it if it has.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:29 pm

It's available in our game Lux Alliance, not in Lux Delux at the moment

MichaelOverlock
Lux Newbie

Post by MichaelOverlock » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:16 am

dustin wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:29 pm
It's available in our game Lux Alliance, not in Lux Delux at the moment
Has the 6-day war map added in Lux Delux yet?

HarleyJones
Lux Newbie

Post by HarleyJones » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:02 pm

PerseusSpartacus wrote:
Sat May 30, 2015 8:57 pm
I've noticed there are no maps in Castle Vox for the Six-Days War (Israel vs. Egypt, Jordan & Syria back in 1967). This seems like a good war to make a map for - the combat would be very dynamic, with a clear balance between a larger starting army for Israel and a larger economy for the Arab Coalition. I wonder if anyone would want to make such a map? Another sensible choice would be the Yom Kippur War, of course - that would be equally fun. Better yet would be a series of maps covering the military history of Israel from 1948 onwards, but even just a single map for one of either of the two big wars (Six-Days or Yom Kippur) would be really neat.

IDEAS:
To give the game a little more realism and a more interesting balance, you can split Israel into three 'Commands' - Northern, Central, and Southern. Northern Command controls everything north and east of Haifa, Central Command controls everything from Tel Aviv to West Jerusalem, and Southern Command controls everything south of Ashqelon.

You could also have Israeli 'Air-Force' units - basically Tanks sitting in slots off the map that can be dropped in at enemy borders, sort of like the 'Kamikaze' units on the Iwo Jima map. You can have one 'Air-Force' for each Israeli Command. The Northern Air-Force could attack the Golan Heights and perhaps just inwards of there, the Central Air-Force could attack the West Bank and all along the western border of Jordan, and Southern Air-Force could attack all along the northern coast of Sinai (I wouldn't bother including the rest of Egypt on the map - simply have factories at crossing points along the Suez Canal, and have that be as far west as the map goes). You could even include Para-Troopers under the control of the Southern Command that can attack the southern tip of Sinai, if you want.
A debt of gratitude is in order for the guide recommendation! I'll pass it along to MB the guide make

Cu3e
Luxer

Post by Cu3e » Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:57 pm

We played this map several time online with MB past few weeks. My thoughts:

1) Maybe switch bonuses of West Bank (now 6) and Israel (now 5). Popping the bonus does not have much effect. West Bank is easy to defend.
2) Sinai, in my experience is the only line of defence against Israel. Israel cannot push too far too early or is forced to spread out too much. Jordan and Syria factories feel too close to the border and easy to blitz.
3) Golan Heights makes the map bit messy... Causing unintended mistake because misreading the map. Maybe try a version of the map where Golan is single territory and see how it feels?

Just some thoughts from top of my head.

LouieTurner
Lux Newbie

Post by LouieTurner » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:42 pm

Cu3e wrote:
Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:57 pm
We played this map several time online with MB past few weeks. My thoughts:

1) Maybe switch bonuses of West Bank (now 6) and Israel (now 5). Popping the bonus does not have much effect. West Bank is easy to defend.
2) Sinai, in my experience is the only line of defence against Israel. Israel cannot push too far too early or is forced to spread out too much. Jordan and Syria factories feel too close to the border and easy to blitz.
3) Golan Heights makes the map bit messy... Causing unintended mistake because misreading the map. Maybe try a version of the map where Golan is single territory and see how it feels?

Just some thoughts from top of my head.
Exactly my thoughts. Golan Heights does make the map messy and lead to making errors.

nikolagronc
Lux Newbie

Post by nikolagronc » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:57 am

Loell wrote:
Tue Sep 20, 2016 1:53 am
I love that 6 day war map. Has it been implemented into the game yet? I haven't found it if it has.
these are the simulation things which you can describe but yeah that was epic map and every one loves

Tanker_5455
Lux Newbie

Post by Tanker_5455 » Sun May 26, 2019 1:32 pm

I played that map with a friend, I wouldn't say the Golan Heights tile makes the map "messy", it's just a key point that you should create a special strategy for, it enriches the gameplay if you ask me.
And regarding the ideas for other Israeli-Arab conflict scenarios, I'd go for what PerseusSpartacus said, as insurgency-based conflicts are too difficult to simulate without superdice and other deus ex machina-like ideas.
If you want to go for something modern, why not a modern "escalation" scenario with Israel fighting Syria, while Islamic terror groups run amok in the Syrian hinterland. Add Russian and Iranian special forces to the Syrian battle groups, plus a special asset for Syria to represent the support of the Russian strategic bombers flying from Russia itself... and if you really want to escalate the conflict, you can add an American/NATO task force that comes to help Israel and a Russian airborne division that can come at any place or time.

clarke
Lux Newbie

Post by clarke » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:56 am

Hi I love that 6 day war map.
Has it been implemented into the game yet? I haven't found it if it has.