Boycott Bio!!!

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.

Do you intend to start boycotting bio?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:57 pm

1 - Yes, Bio is a fun map with good players, but currently not much fun for me.
29%
2 - No!!! I ♥ BIO!!!! pry it from my cold dead mouse!
14%
3 - Yes, bio is an awful map no matter who is playing it.
7%
4 - No Bio is A ok as it is!!!
36%
5 - I have already embraced this fantastic idea & have already been boycotting bio before these hipsters showed up!!!
14%

Total votes: 14

Naraku
Lux Demon

Boycott Bio!!!

Post by Naraku » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:57 pm

There I've posted it!

Boycott BIO!!!

If you're tired of being blasted away for no reason by players who don't care to try to win or improve join with me and other assorted luxers who have had enough of this map dominating the lux tracker for the past several years. 84% of all games are now Bio duh?

Since we're leaving the Bio Ghetto in the rearview mirror I'd like to encourage everyone to join me on Mars, Classic, Re2, or MotM hosts in the future! Just no more bio duh dudes!!!

Lux long and happy world dominating! :smt029
Last edited by Naraku on Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Re: Boycott Bio!!!

Post by kitty on catnip » Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:16 pm

kitty on catnip would like to keep mars running full time and possibly winner picks on certain select days as mars is a fun classic-like map that is not too big or too small. It's also pretty. Thanks GK for making this map that is still remembered from days of yore

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:41 pm

So, Nara... you do understand that your sample pool will be kinda skewed, right? Lots of Bio players never (or almost never) set foot in the forums. Something about rotting the brain...

:smt077

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:43 pm

This isn't Mafia, TSK. Quit the deception. :?

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:45 pm

Just trying to keep that Classic map clear of hoi polloi for you and Will, kitten...

:smt049

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:53 pm

:smt088

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:10 pm

A classier form of BioDeux
I don't think you can ever make bio "classy" dustin but what you should have it say is...

"Go play Classic instead to learn the fundamentals of luxing!"

Or else you might end up with a never ending stream of awful players.
Picture coming to play your 1st bio game with the following players in the game with you:

1- Royalion
2- Soloman Grundy
3 - Foot Fault
4 - Controleola
5 - Shopi

What will the new player learn about lux except for that the game is very toxic and not welcoming to newer players who are trying to find their way.
Instead you insist on forcing everyone to get behind the wheel with such awesome players as 'Bum'; who have a history of griefing/targeting players.

AGAIN I STRONGLY URGE EVERYONE TO CONSIDER BOYCOTTING BIO!!!

Have fun climbing behind the wheel with all those "Classi" bio players everyone!
Last edited by Naraku on Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:14 am

It is as I thought - what you are really saying is NOT "boycott Bio", but "boycott these certain players". I already do this, and I'm guessing many other players do as well.

"Bu", you say, "they play so much, it's hard to find a Bio game without them!" I agree it's been a problem... but I think there might be reason for optimism. The mods are getting serious about progressive discipline for griefing. Controleola just got a 60-day suspension; Roy and foot fault each have multiple offenses and have already done 30 days. It's just a matter of time, I think, until these players, through their behavior, remove themselves from Lux - permanently. :smt023

"Hate the asshats, not the map!"

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:23 pm

AquaRegia wrote:It is as I thought - what you are really saying is NOT "boycott Bio", but "boycott these certain players". I already do this, and I'm guessing many other players do as well.

"Bu", you say, "they play so much, it's hard to find a Bio game without them!" I agree it's been a problem... but I think there might be reason for optimism. The mods are getting serious about progressive discipline for griefing. Controleola just got a 60-day suspension; Roy and foot fault each have multiple offenses and have already done 30 days. It's just a matter of time, I think, until these players, through their behavior, remove themselves from Lux - permanently. :smt023

"Hate the asshats, not the map!"
But you have to be cautious. You can't ban and chase so many people away that there is no one left.

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:10 pm

AquaRegia wrote:"Hate the asshats, not the map!"
This is why I voted the first option.

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:12 pm

Shockandawe wrote:But you have to be cautious. You can't ban and chase so many people away that there is no one left.
Yeah, I'm sure if you owned a restaurant you would not kick out the patrons that were grabbing/slapping your waitresses asses, getting in bar fights and pissing into the glasses of other patrons.

You really shock me with your stupidity sometimes shock. You really really do.

You're an idiot if you think that cleaning up the mess would harm lux more than it would help. It will bring in new players and if older players that were pushed away decide to check back on the game, may continue playing.

Symbiosis
Lux Solicitor

Post by Symbiosis » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:40 pm

Allowing toxic users to dictate the culture of your app is just one way to let the thing fall apart... not the only way lux fell apart but an important one.

Big Will E Style
RAW Dogger

Post by Big Will E Style » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:56 pm

This is why I continue to request a minimum game requirement on Classic to start your experience online. It's not because Classic people think they are better than anyone else, it's because all new users should learn the fundamental basic of how the game is played rather than what Bio presents as a income battle where a lot of players don't even understand the card concept.

hoodie
Burning Man

Post by hoodie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:59 pm

I agree with Will. THIS FEELS STRANGE WTF IS HAPPENING. :panic:

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:00 pm

I find it endearing that you guys are still trying to think up solutions to decade-old problems that Dustin obviously has no interest in pursuing.

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:02 pm

dollabillz wrote:I find it endearing that you guys are still trying to think up solutions to decade-old problems that Dustin obviously has no interest in pursuing.
:hmm:

:smt017

:shock:

:smt023

kitty on catnip
Lux Elder

Post by kitty on catnip » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:14 pm

current bio culture:

"I won this game it is because every action I did was the most optimal strategy and I executed everything flawlessly"

"I just lost this game because I was unlucky and every action I did was the most optimal and I executed everything flawlessly"

Pretty difficult to increase awareness of sound and thoughtful strategy/dice odd probabilities when this is the meta psychology of most bio players.

Oh right

"I have 1st place medals how many do YOU have"

"I have 24,000 games and my win% in FH games is 14% because the more games you play the lower your win% becomes because statistics even out eventually"

"If you use an online dice probability calculator to help plan your next move then you are a pathetic person"

"I have 4 times more games than you but you are a nerd if you think that calculating your armies before an attack is going to help you in a game of luck"

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:26 pm

kitty on catnip wrote:
Shockandawe wrote:But you have to be cautious. You can't ban and chase so many people away that there is no one left.
Yeah, I'm sure if you owned a restaurant you would not kick out the patrons that were grabbing/slapping your waitresses asses, getting in bar fights and pissing into the glasses of other patrons.

You really shock me with your stupidity sometimes shock. You really really do.

You're an idiot if you think that cleaning up the mess would harm lux more than it would help. It will bring in new players and if older players that were pushed away decide to check back on the game, may continue playing.
Your thinking is a bit too narrow though. Right now there are 139 active players for the week. Knocking 10% off of that would make a large impact in the ease of finding a full house game at any given time. Something I know for a fact is already somewhat difficult. There simply hasn't been a large influx of new players to lean on to replace those you see as unworthy.

and let's not pretend that we all haven't had our moments where we have behaved poorly. Where we have contributed to the mess. How do you think a new player reading the forums would react to seeing Naraku going off on hoodie for his play? Should that kind of behavior be allowed over a single game?

The harder it becomes to find a full house game the more people will begin to leave. It is a vicious cycle that cannot be stopped from within.

Are you willing to ban 10% of your player base to risk losing a much larger number?

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:27 pm

dollabillz wrote:I find it endearing that you guys are still trying to think up solutions to decade-old problems that Dustin obviously has no interest in pursuing.
Maybe it's not a matter of pursuing a solution.

Maybe one doesn't yet exist.

hoodie
Burning Man

Post by hoodie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:36 pm

The best path is probably somewhere in the middle of all this stuff. There's not going to be one magic bullet, but a multi faceted approach may help.

And one of those valuable facets might be something that hasn't been tried yet.

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:37 pm

Or we could stop pretending that Lux is still a viable thing.

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:42 pm

dollabillz wrote:Or we could stop pretending that Lux is still a viable thing.
I've said that a few times over the past few years. Something I still believe when it comes to it's current state.

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:49 pm

Yeah sure but no one cares what you have to say.

hoodie
Burning Man

Post by hoodie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:55 pm

have you ever thought about making a forum bot dolla? it can write vague generic negative and self aggrandizing statements on a regular basis. then you could go out and do something better with your time than pray for others' failure.

hoodie
Burning Man

Post by hoodie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:58 pm

and shock - I'm starting to think sillysoft might want to refocus lux into a tourney-based focus. honestly, castles is badass and fun, and has a much more focused frame. of course the other stuff would still exist, but I think that's where the best stuff exists right now.

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:07 pm

Couple things for hoodie:
  • My negativity is specific, not vague
  • I'm not praying for Lux to fail, I'm asserting that it already did

hoodie
Burning Man

Post by hoodie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:13 pm

Then it seems especially pathetic for you to waste your time here if you think it's already failed. If your reasons for being here are that you want to maintain friendships with certain people, why stick your nose in this?

I honestly can't say I see the right path forward, but I care enough about this place and the people here to try to give a good faith effort to move forward.

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:19 pm

hoodie wrote:and shock - I'm starting to think sillysoft might want to refocus lux into a tourney-based focus. honestly, castles is badass and fun, and has a much more focused frame. of course the other stuff would still exist, but I think that's where the best stuff exists right now.
I believe it did a long time ago. The longing for a survivor tournament. The success of the castle tournaments.

The cause of this is a direct result of a shrinking player base. Older players would show up because they knew for sure that they could experience again what they enjoyed most about Lux in the past. You can't find it every week anymore.

hoodie
Burning Man

Post by hoodie » Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:27 pm

definitely describes me.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:24 pm

Shockandawe wrote:aYou can't find it every week anymore.
I can almost always find a good few hours of playing in lux any week, even almost any day. Would be nice if some sweetness joined in instead of just trolling the forums, but even that happens sometimes. Had an old time 3 way fun end game with g4p and Dun just yesterday. There were like 7 rounds of it being in play. anyway, dolla is a great player; when we get to play with him?