More tracker problems...

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison

Re: More tracker problems...

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Sun Jul 31, 2016 5:51 pm

Naraku, and everyone else, you already know the answers. I am not in anyway in the loop. I've just been posting to amuse myself. So all of this is not because I have some inside scoop.

Dustin is not in any way that I can see having a hardship. He likes to do lots of fun things. He is doing lots of fun things. Oh the places he has gone and the things he has seen. He probably does not feel like taking care of lux. He's pretty much stopped doing all of the things I coached him to do in the months before Llama Lluxallot showed up. He gained some momentum. He was sincere. For a time. The question was always going to be "for how long". Seems "how long" is "now". He's thrown it away again. I don't see how he can come back from it this time no matter what he does. There was a chance he really wanted the game back and was willing to work for it. And he did. For a few months.

But really. REALLY. What you see is what you get. Don't twists ourselves up over it. When I wouldn't and couldn't pick up the flag and run with it he returned to his basic operating mode. There is no one left to come between Dustin and the destiny. He has to work for it and he is not.

Parahacking? yes, no, who cares? He has no power here. Because Dustin Sux at running Lux .

:scooter :globe :llama :smt023

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:18 pm

Llama LluxaLlot wrote:Naraku, and everyone else, you already know the answers. I am not in anyway in the loop. I've just been posting to amuse myself. So all of this is not because I have some inside scoop.

Dustin is not in any way that I can see having a hardship. He likes to do lots of fun things. He is doing lots of fun things. Oh the places he has gone and the things he has seen. He probably does not feel like taking care of lux. He's pretty much stopped doing all of the things I coached him to do in the months before Llama Lluxallot showed up. He gained some momentum. He was sincere. For a time. The question was always going to be "for how long". Seems "how long" is "now". He's thrown it away again. I don't see how he can come back from it this time no matter what he does. There was a chance he really wanted the game back and was willing to work for it. And he did. For a few months.

But really. REALLY. What you see is what you get. Don't twists ourselves up over it. When I wouldn't and couldn't pick up the flag and run with it he returned to his basic operating mode. There is no one left to come between Dustin and the destiny. He has to work for it and he is not.

Parahacking? yes, no, who cares? He has no power here. Because Dustin Sux at running Lux .

:scooter :globe :llama :smt023
But what exactly is there left to work for in Lux?

Multiplayer that costs him money to run and doesn't make him any?

He's provided everyone here years of entertainment for the measly price of 20 bucks.... when is your thirst for blood going to be sated...

What does Dustin still owe any of you?

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:47 pm

Shock, we witnessed "years of entertainment" perhaps. In my case not for "20 bucks" btw. since I donated (at least for Para).

Your argument is wrong since there are people who just joined lately and may expect a working game.

Moreover: Still the provider owes - not the customer if he has paid.

It is Dustins problem if the price was eventually too measly. At the moment the game is not worth 20 bucks any more if things don't change quickly.

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:56 pm

Shockandawe wrote:
But what exactly is there left to work for in Lux?

Multiplayer that costs him money to run and doesn't make him any?

He's provided everyone here years of entertainment for the measly price of 20 bucks.... when is your thirst for blood going to be sated...

There is/was so much possibility and potential for luxtopia which has only seemed to dim over time rather than shine as we were all "promised" by the game creator himself. He can't make money off of the sillysoft website? what dimension do you hail from? I'd really like to know because I'm pretty sure that Lux has more than paid for itself. It would/could've made even more money for him had he bothered to LISTEN to the players who once cared about the game. He could at the very least let other players host the game since he obviously isn't interested in it anymore. the price I paid for lux was > $20. not much more but all the same don't advertise or promise repairs he had 0 intention of delivering on. Didn't he fire somebody for that same reason?
dustin wrote: Easy Network Play
Joining an online multiplayer game is as easy as 2 clicks - no need to muck about with IP addresses. Hosting an internet-wide game is just as simple. Now is the perfect time to start climbing the world wide rankings. <---- what rankings/chase? Can't host games , online games glitch often.

Strong User Base
Lux has an active user community. The regulars can be found hanging around in the forums and playing multiplayer games online. Come and join the party. <------ there are now about 25-30 active users left in lux.

Hackable
Use the built-in Map Editor to create your own maps. Send it in and we'll add it to the Plugin Manager. Programmers can create AIs and random map generators with the Lux SDK provided by Sillysoft. <-------- Maps take many moons to pass through the maplab maze .

Unlimited Fun
Lux comes with a free 30 game trial period. The cost to buy the full version is now just $9.99 US. Full registration comes with unlimited gameplay, all of the maps, and inclusion in the online rankings. Register now securely and you will receive full access instantly. <---- overcharging for a glitched antique game? He really must have no shame left @ this point.
p.s. as a fun "experiment" or side note can anyone mass message Castle Bane? or did dustin just turn off that feature just for me? I can still mass PM any of the other castles/kingdoms. Just not the one I am a part of? wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:02 pm

Shockandawe wrote:when is your thirst for blood going to be sated...

I can only answer for myself. I do not lust for Dustin's blood. I do not wring my hands wishing him failure . He owns me nothing.

The only thing he owes anyone is the truth. I believe this is true of all mammals. Not just Dustin. His action are the truth. Battling out various opinions here , begging, imploring, accusing , fighting each other... There is no winning. Or losing for that matter.

My interest is to encouraging people to put energy into something wonderful. The players should keep having fun playing when rooms work. Mods should keep on modding if it makes hem happy to try to facilitate the people still playing. But the rest- it's a drain that serves no joy.

If you can still Lux joyfully then go to it! If you need things to change in order to have fun, I encourage you to use your precious resources on something else.

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:03 pm

Alright. Lets handle this quick and clean then.

Baden:
If a new customer finds that all of the features promised do not exist or finds the product unsatisfactory then there is nothing stopping them from requesting a refund. Otherwise they can take the 10-20 dollar hit and move on.

What the game is actually worth is not something that can be factually backed up. This is only opinion. If you feel that the game is over/under priced then that is fine, but know that it holds no weight.

The value of something is determined by what people are willing to pay for it.

Remember that the reason that Para asked for donations is that he could not continue to personally finance his servers. There is no thanks for Dustin keeping the lights on for people who aren't paying anymore. Maybe he just shuts down the servers all together tomorrow and just advertises the game as a single player experience with AI and custom maps.

Naraku:

The possibility/potential of Lux cannot be proven. You might think it does, but one cannot expect their opinions to hold weight if there is nothing to back it up with. It's fine to have that opinion. There's nothing wrong with believing that there are all of these people out there just waiting jump in, but you can't actually prove these people exist.

It's not likely that there is any money to be made on the website itself no. Who is going to pay to advertise here when you claim such a small group?

So his product paid for itself. That's great for him! Does no one else any good. Doesn't mean that he owes you anything. Just because your best friend wins the lottery doesn't mean that he owes you some sort of sum just for being his friend.

Thing about players is that they want improvements that help their personal experience. These improvements don't often sell product. The fact that a ranking system exists can bring customers in, but whether or not a few players think it is good or not is inconsequential. This is the ranking system Dustin has provided and if you don't like it then I suppose you either live with it or find something else.

Easy Network Play - This has existed successfully for a long time. Only recently have serious issues come up. If a new player purchases the game then they can request a refund for this. If you have been here for several years then this means nothing to you. If you like, treat it as thought Dustin has completely shut down network play. As far as rankings go? They exist as promised. Whether individuals think it is good or not doesn't matter. The rankings exist.

Strong User Base - Dustin doesn't mention anywhere that there are a large number of players. Active users and regulars can be found playing games online. How many of them there are is inconsequential.

Hackable - No time table is promised for the addition of player created maps. The feature exists. Non-issue.

Unlimited Fun - See my response to Baden on value.

And finally Llama -

You might want the truth and that's fine. It is completely understandable, but he doesn't owe it to you. You've tried to help. If Dustin would rather do something else then that is ok.

What you say in your post is absolutely true. Enjoy Lux for what it is and not what it could be. As what everyone wants it to be was likely never going to happen to begin with.

And finally to everyone else.

You purchased a product and due to everyone still being here I am assuming that the product at time of purchase was satisfactory. End of Customer - Seller contract.

You don't go complaining to the manufacturer that your coffee maker broke after 3 years of use.

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:07 pm

If dustin needs help in managing Lux, he needs technical prowess that can fill in when he's not available or interested. The social side is just that, the social side, and the players make it what it is.

It is hubris to an obscene degree to think that the people who are still playing Lux are not having fun, or that they aren't capable of seeing the big picture. Most of the posters here have nudged dustin periodically; some have given up... on everything but using the forums to discuss or act out.

Asking that dustin provide what he said he would back in January seems reasonable at this point. Is he just afk, or is he planning something more? . Using this thread to dredge up every shortcoming of Lux (real or imagined) is merely self-serving: venting your spleen or making your role (real or imagined) seem heroic. Unless you do have some special knowledge of the situation, I will wait for dustin to provide us with the only explanation that matters.

I agree with Shock. I've certainly had my money's worth and then some, out of Lux. That's why I've tried to pay it back to some extent over the years, by serving as a moderator, participating in tournaments, hosting forum games and so on. If dustin has decided to eliminate or drastically curtail online Lux, so be it. I would have to support that, and thank him again for the many, many hours of fun that online Lux has provided.

And if that is the case, I trust that dustin will have the courtesy to tell us.

:D

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:13 pm

The Silken Knot wrote:If dustin needs help in managing Lux, he needs technical prowess that can fill in when he's not available or interested. The social side is just that, the social side, and the players make it what it is.

It is hubris to an obscene degree to think that the people who are still playing Lux are not having fun, or that they aren't capable of seeing the big picture. Most of the posters here have nudged dustin periodically; some have given up... on everything but using the forums to discuss or act out.

Asking that dustin provide what he said he would back in January seems reasonable at this point. Is he just afk, or is he planning something more? . Using this thread to dredge up every shortcoming of Lux (real or imagined) is merely self-serving: venting your spleen or making your role (real or imagined) seem heroic. Unless you do have some special knowledge of the situation, I will wait for dustin to provide us with the only explanation that matters.

I agree with Shock. I've certainly had my money's worth and then some, out of Lux. That's why I've tried to pay it back to some extent over the years, by serving as a moderator, participating in tournaments, hosting forum games and so on. If dustin has decided to eliminate or drastically curtail online Lux, so be it. I would have to support that, and thank him again for the many, many hours of fun that online Lux has provided.

And if that is the case, I trust that dustin will have the courtesy to tell us.

Well said. Only thing I might add is that a lot of things can happen over several months. What sounded like a good idea in January may not now.

The ultimate answer is that we don't know anything about Dustin or his motivations... and that's ok.

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:22 pm

Oh my! I have a degree in economy and am an independent contractor since decades. If I offer a product I care for the customer in an excellent way as long as I can. If I can't provide the service any more I close the shop an inform the clients. It is as easy as that.

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:27 pm

Baden wrote:Oh my! I have a degree in economy and am an independent contractor since decades. If I offer a product I care for the customer in an excellent way as long as I can. If I can't provide the service any more I close the shop an inform the clients. It is as easy as that.
Which is what Dustin will do eventually. The servers will eventually be shut off in Lux. There comes a point in software development where you stop supporting old product. Diminishing returns and all.

Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:45 pm

You misunderstand.

I think the ONLY people who have fun at Lux are the regulars who play the game and enjoy each other's company. As I see it that can go on practically forever with very little upkeep. And it's the only reason to be involved with Lux.

But the regular players-TSK, George, Naraku- Posted in this thread "come on, why can't/ don't you keep things working?" And then the Llamentations of not keeping promises. And they "why"s. And the frustration.

Tsk, you mentioned that dustin is tweeting and such. And you would like him to keep to what he said he would do in January. But you see the big picture . Very good. then you know. The answer is because He is Dustin.

There IS no greater truth or conspiracy or story.

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:16 pm

Llama LluxaLlot wrote:You misunderstand.

I think the ONLY people who have fun at Lux are the regulars who play the game and enjoy each other's company. As I see it that can go on practically forever with very little upkeep. And it's the only reason to be involved with Lux.

But the regular players-TSK, George, Naraku- Posted in this thread "come on, why can't/ don't you keep things working?" And then the Llamentations of not keeping promises. And they "why"s. And the frustration.

Tsk, you mentioned that dustin is tweeting and such. And you would like him to keep to what he said he would do in January. But you see the big picture . Very good. then you know. The answer is because He is Dustin.

There IS no greater truth or conspiracy or story.
Dustin once said that the majority of players never venture online. I'm thinking the number was 80-90%, which is a massive portion. I also believe that is why he created a mobile version of the game, which currently holds a 4.5 star rating. Common sense tells you to support the larger percentage here. Especially when the gap is that large.

Does anyone aside from Dustin know what the actual server upkeep is for Lux?

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:19 pm

Baden wrote:Oh my! I have a degree in economy and am an independent contractor since decades. If I offer a product I care for the customer in an excellent way as long as I can. If I can't provide the service any more I close the shop an inform the clients. It is as easy as that.

And let us hope this will also be that simple.

Baden is grounded in reality AND has actually been playing and interacting in Lux recently. I think it's fair to say that both Naraku and Llama are posting without recent Lux experience, and for reasons that have little to do with either improving the user experience or clarifying the situation described in the thread title... "More tracker problems"... so they might be addressed by dustin.

:smt058

Llama LluxaLlot
Llux Lliaison

Post by Llama LluxaLlot » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:37 am

I think at worst my posts were pointless. I mean "Dustin is Dustin so don't sweat it" is not ground breaking material.

At best I got to have a 3 way over the term "Alpacallux". So I'm good, toots! :smt058

:llama :smt109

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:07 am

I always knew that TSK was delusional
and here goes part X of her Lux conspiracy theories.
what an utter waste of time to think that this game would still be running "Smoothly" after a > 2 month luxcation. Heaven forbird if anyone should simply point out the gross errors or flaws that dustin has let "mind his gaps" (AGAIN!)
but w/e

enjoy the approaching oblivion that is coming for luxtopia :panic: :evil: :? :shock: :smt019

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:54 am

Is anyone else amused by Naraku pointing to others as being delusional and having conspiracy theories? :pop :pop :pop

Shock, the only story here is that Dustin continues to cry wolf: "this time I'll support it." "This time I mean it." I've defended Dustin in the past and have given him the benefit of the doubt on numerous (though not all) occasions. In the end, he's just not self-aware enough to realize that he's just not going to be the guy to maintain anything at a high level.

For the record, I'm only here because of you knuckleheads (yes, Naraku, even you!) but mostly for Llama :llama :smt049 :smt054

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:39 am

Players have spent the last 5+ years waiting on unfulfilled promises.

What's one more at this point.

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:00 am

Well I never thought I'd see the day that I would actually agree with the Baden's on something. Sums up perfectly what should or should not be happening in luxtopia. Instead we are treated to a giant vacuum devoid of any knowledge, information, truth or FACTS about what is happening in lux or what will or won't be happening in the future... :panic:
dustin wrote: It is 2016 and we have some choices to make for the new year.

I am interested in seeing Lux improve and grow from 2016, well into the future. To that end, I am currently improving and testing Sillysoft servers. I plan to maintain a more stable hosting environment for tournaments as well as for everyday play. Mods will always be able to reach me offline to deal with any problems that pop up. I will also continue taking a hands-on roll in the daily running of Lux. You will continue seeing me in the game rooms and forums.

This year will see an active commitment to marketing Lux Delux and Lux Alliance to a wider audience. 40 percent of new players check out our online gaming experience. As it stands, the online gaming community is not the most inviting to new players. It vexes old players. Friction and negativity has been hurting the vibe in online play. I want to address this.
congrats on being the largest liar in luxtopia dustin! hip hip hooray! :smt109

RogueMonk
Lux Addict

Post by RogueMonk » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:26 pm

Shockandawe wrote:Players have spent the last 5+ years waiting on unfulfilled promises.

What's one more at this point.

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:52 pm

The saddest thing is that each time I think he BELIEVES, that this time will be different...

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty
Location: on the playground is where i spent most of my days, chillin' all nice and relaxing all cool and

Post by Red Beard » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:13 am

:dp if you all need me, i'll just be over here, still playing this janky game. Feel free to join me! :dp

also :llama 4eva.

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:34 pm

it seems the problems are fixed :-)
TITAN hosts are up again and hosting is also possible again. So lets lux!

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:12 pm

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:17 pm

I am sorry for the online issues this weekend. I was away on a camping trip, so not available to fix things immediately. They are fixed now. Summertime I tend to enjoy camping, which takes me offline for some times. My intention is to continue running online Lux rooms, and enable others to run online Lux rooms as well.

RogueMonk
Lux Addict

Post by RogueMonk » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:49 pm

10 day weekends must be nice!

Symbiosis
Lux Solicitor

Post by Symbiosis » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:55 pm

You'd take long vacations too if...

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor

Post by n00less cluebie » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:50 am

#AllHousesMatter

Symbiosis
Lux Solicitor

Post by Symbiosis » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:55 pm

#LuxTransparency
#ShowerSomewhereElse
#NoSkirtsOnTheSecondFloor

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:34 am

I have to disagree with this post.

1. People participating in the actual online game know that new players do join, and former players return. Shockingly, some of them stick around! Yes, they have fun. It's not a resurgence, but it is not ONLY a group of regulars. And we don't all enjoy each others' company. (Looking at you, pofidik :smt077).

2. "Very little upkeep" is open to interpretation. When some Sillysoft hosts disappear, others regularly boot players mid-game, and players are prevented from hosting online games for a very long weekend or two, it puts a serious crimp in the fun.

3. Again, shockingly, many people actually like/love the game itself. You know how the elders called online Lux "a chatroom with a game on the side"? That's reversed these days, in my opinion (and lyrics trivia with Roostah aside :) ). I know that if online Lux disappears, I will continue playing offline until something better comes along. That seems like a reason to be involved with Lux, doesn't it?

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:04 pm

The Silken Knot wrote:

I have to disagree with this post.

1. People participating in the actual online game know that new players do join, and former players return. Shockingly, some of them stick around! Yes, they have fun. It's not a resurgence, but it is not ONLY a group of regulars. And we don't all enjoy each others' company. (Looking at you, pofidik :smt077).

2. "Very little upkeep" is open to interpretation. When some Sillysoft hosts disappear, others regularly boot players mid-game, and players are prevented from hosting online games for a very long weekend or two, it puts a serious crimp in the fun.

3. Again, shockingly, many people actually like/love the game itself. You know how the elders called online Lux "a chatroom with a game on the side"? That's reversed these days, in my opinion (and lyrics trivia with Roostah aside :) ). I know that if online Lux disappears, I will continue playing offline until something better comes along. That seems like a reason to be involved with Lux, doesn't it?

All true, TSK. I even play the game offline with some fun from time to time. No insults - just clean air :)

But meeting you in an online game was always fun.