AFKs in early rounds

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.

If human players go afk in the first three rounds, you should...

Poll ended at Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:30 pm

restart a few times
No votes
wait until they go bot, * then* restart so you only have to do it once
No votes
restart if you don't like the players
7%
restart if you don't like your position
No votes
don't restart, because it encourages players to abandon bad starts with no penalty
93%

Total votes: 14

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

AFKs in early rounds

Post by The Silken Knot » Fri Aug 26, 2016 6:30 pm

Would you restart a full house?

I'm not in favor. Sure, we all would rather play humans than bots... well, depending on the humans... but:
  • Connections and the tracker being what they are these days, it's quite possible the player will rejoin if they're able.
  • The old standard, which I remember from my mod training: Don't restart a full house! It sets a bad precedent, encouraging people to abandon bad starts since they won't be penalized. And that sucks for everyone.
Or am I wrong?

:smt077

Edited to bold the stance.
Last edited by The Silken Knot on Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Re: AFKs in early rounds

Post by Bean » Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:44 pm

wrong about what? I don't see any stance. You have just presented a fact set. I think.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:03 pm

I voted no RS.

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:35 am

Thanks for the poll. I am interested what people will vote.
The Silken Knot wrote:Would you restart?
The old standard, which I remember from my mod training: Don't restart a full house! It sets a bad precedent, encouraging people to abandon bad starts since they won't be penalized. And that sucks for everyone.
:smt077
I think this is still the common/official standard and you gave the perfect explanations.
Unfortunately it does happen quite a lot. Especially newbies tend to leave if they dont like their start - they do not care about raw.
So only in special situations when ALL other remaining players agree i use to restart in that situation (but only if other humans are waiting and if it does not seem to obviously influence the players raw, e.g. not in chase game).
Nevertheless the best would be, if people just would stay and not leave/turn in afks ... it is always a bad situation for all.
Last edited by GFips on Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo

imapickle
is a pickle

Post by imapickle » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:30 am

I say never rs a full house, for the reasons explained above.

Darth Casey
Luxer

Post by Darth Casey » Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:39 pm

wow TSK, a quote of the week on this and a poll with three trolling options in it? Trolling pretty hard lately!

p.s. for the record it was Sol (who goes afk about 90% of the time when he gets into a new game without realizing it) and Red Beard who was most certainly not going afk just to avoid a bad start (say what you want about him but that's not his style). Given we had an unusually packed room for these very lean times with a lot of people guested in, i felt it was better than making everyone wait while two bots played. And yes i had a good start in both of the games i rs'd. Sorry if this doesn't meet your perfect standards, I never got your mod training as you so graciously pointed out from the peanut gallery.

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:35 pm

Oh, Darth. :smt049

I understood your reasoning, but it's one of those slippery slope situations. No one can reliably judge the motivations of other players, although we all still guess. But anyone less experienced who sees you restart a full house comes to believe that it's acceptable practice. And further down the chain, you eventually get people who will restart for their own reasons (i.e, if you say "I hope Mlody666 isn't in" when you restart, someone somewhere is going to use that as justification to restart until they get the position and room they want).

Just say no, peach.

Darth Casey
Luxer

Post by Darth Casey » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:42 pm

The Silken Knot wrote:Oh, Darth. :smt049

(i.e, if you say "I hope Mlody666 isn't in" when you restart, someone somewhere is going to use that as justification to restart until they get the position and room they want).

the guest host (moi) definitely didn't say that. I forget who it was exactly, but it was someone who had just had an asshat war with him the previous game. That would be an obvious crossing of the line into abuse of hosting privileges in my view. In terms of restarting when it appeared at least 3/4 of the remaining humans plus several guests were in favor, not as obvious a call.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:01 pm

:pop

RogueMonk
Lux Addict

Post by RogueMonk » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:14 pm

Bean wrote:wrong about what? I don't see any stance. You have just presented a fact set. I think.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Sun Aug 28, 2016 2:41 pm

That was not snarky, if you mean by that "sarcastic." The poll results clearly show TSK presented something basically a "fact" of the culture. No one is likely to call her wrong on this. It is sort of ironic that the rankings still drive the ethics here. Maybe that's something to debate. I think there are a number of higher values than the prevention of ranking manipulation when considering the size and lack of diversity in the player pool. Then again, it's not clear those other values would change the poll much either. The most important one is not leaving humans sidelined for an insignificant reason.

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Sun Aug 28, 2016 3:47 pm

Allow me to be of assistance.

From Oxford Dictionaries:

From my first post; bold type added later to clarify the "stance" when you seemed confused:
Would you restart a full house?

I'm not in favor.
:smt023

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Sun Aug 28, 2016 6:30 pm

/me goes to start a poll on whether he is wrong about the moon appearing to change sizes during the month.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Sun Aug 28, 2016 7:25 pm

Or you could sign up for Mafia and participate in an enjoyable time for everyone, now that you have some understanding of the game...

It sure would look good if a mod helped propagate forum activity/games !

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:49 am

I believe the exception to the no restart FH is when:
1. It's obvious the person went AFK BEFORE the restart
AND
2. It's still a weekday

Having to play 6 games of Bio in a row with various players being booted in round 3 due to inactivity only exacerbates the frustration people have with that map....

My two cents....

Symbiosis
Lux Solicitor

Post by Symbiosis » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:17 am