October 24 25 & 26 :: Classic Themed Tournament

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

October 24 25 & 26 :: Classic Themed Tournament

Post by PJB » Fri Oct 20, 2017 2:38 am

To honor the history of the old Classic map, Luxtoberfest is having a Classic themed tournament. For old times sake!

We will play of course the classic map and 5 other classic themed maps on the following dates.

October 24, 25 & 26 Games all day.

Winner picks:

Pick the next map, using the /map command. Example: /map 5. Allowed maps are:
1. Classic,
2. 4th Edition,
3. Classic Bizarro,
4. ClassicEggs,
5. Classic Part Deux,
6. Two worlds

map 1 - classic 4681015 0%
map 2 - 4th Edition (very cool map) 4681015 0%
map 3 - classic bizarro 4681015 0%
map 4 - classic eggs 468105 0%
map 5 - classic Part Deux 4681015 5%
map 6 - two worlds 51015 5%

Live Scoring

A minimum of 8 games are required to get a place in the tournament, over the course of 3 days. Games with 5 or 6 humans will count towards your tournament score. Please install the maps before playing.

Good luck!
Last edited by PJB on Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Baden
Lux Elder

Re: October 24 25 & 26 :: Classic Themed Tournament

Post by Baden » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:55 pm

"For old times sake!"

"bizarro", "eggs", "two worlds" ????

Even "Deux" is not "old time".

5,5,5 "shopi style" would be rather.

Have fun however with the "bizarro" approach.

As part of the "history" I will not participate.

Believe me, I am all but a conservative in real life: But the lack of consistency is the actual problem of Lux.

As long as we don't even have some stable daily "Classic" full house games like we had in "old times" this is futile.

Lux will end up with more maps than players I fear.

Just consider: "Classic games" like Poker or Chess are "classic" because there are historical and reliable rules.

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:58 am

Hi Baden, thanks for your thoughts. While i basically agree with many things, i don't think we will get dailly classic full house games back soon anyhow. We have to accept what we have and we have to look forward.

Originally there was no classic event planned for Luxtober at all. I think we should be gratefully that PJB takes the effort to organize this.
I am sure he is open for any suggestions from the players activly taking part.

There is a permanent classic host every day and a monthly separate ranking for the classic players. So people can chase there already every month. Feel free to organize some games there. PM old schoolers and hope they will return. I will always join classic games there if I have the time. But Luxtoberfest is and was always a special tournament to try special things and to promote other maps than the usual one and only.

These maps are as "classic" as your nowerdays preferred classic map with 5o% settings. And most of the players noweerdays are not around as long as you, so for a lot of them Deux is really already "old time". I personally also prefer the classic map with "classic settings", but Lux is so much more than a pure risk clone and I think it is quite cool to play some Deux games after so many years again. The other maps play similar to the classic map even if they don't look classy at the first look.

But hey, it is winner picks! If people prefer the real classic map with classic settings the winner can pick it. So just win your games and pick your preferred map and if people will enjoy it is very likely it will be picked again.

I will be there to play! Not only "For old times sake!". I am sure it will be fun! Cya all there!

Thanks PJB for organizing this!

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:24 pm

GFips wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:58 am
...We have to accept what we have and we have to look forward.
(...)
Thanks PJB for organizing this!
PJB wrote:
Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:47 pm
...Just get rid of that douchy 5,10,15 50% bs please. Baden can host that himself like he's done for a decade or so.
PJB wrote that shortly before he became mod.

Honi soit qui mal y pense.

GFips, I really estimate your effort but I don't accept the approach of PJB. Is my point of view understandable or "douchy bs"?

As I already stated at that time: PJB never played or tried "that douchy 5,10,15 50% bs". And now you propose that I should be open minded for even more exotic variants of classic? Are those now ennobled by the mod PJB while he still shows disrespect for a real classic setup?

Look at the actual "Classic Leaderboard" and check what kind of variants of "Classic" are still common. These should be played in a tournament - not "douchy bs" like "eggs" or "bizarro".

Have fun however ...

Naraku
Lux Demon

Post by Naraku » Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:12 am

Baden wrote:
Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:55 pm

Believe me, I am all but a conservative in real life: But the lack of consistency is the actual problem of Lux.

As long as we don't even have some stable daily "Classic" full house games like we had in "old times" this is futile.

Lux will end up with more maps than players I fear.

Way to late for that Baden, Over 1000 maps yet less than 120ish active players or so a week.

Do the math, Oh wait I forget how extraordinarily bad the average luxer is at math these days...

The problem with lux is a SLOW luxtoberfest schedule with not many events compared with say luxtoberfest 7 or 8 . No team games weekends anymore? Map retrospective? To say nothing of the Bio tournament, Survivorfest or Memory lux, or ladies tournament?

MotW is missing from Luxtopia :wall: & I know & think it was way better than the current MotM. Now its like Dustin is trying to turn delux into alliance or make sure everyone switches to his new game. :smt009
Lux was a lot of fun back in the days and still can be if players, Llamas, Sheeps, & wolves everywhere contribute to luxtopia, however they are able to.

Classic FH games sure would be nifty these days but alas not many care for the map or feel that Bio is more fun or a more enjoyable map for them.
What is really missing from luxtopia are the clowns & RE2 marathons!!! I really wish more people would play Deux still with out the bio...
What No luxtoberfest forum games? not even a mafia? or a frantic plea from Kjos for a host/moderator for it??????!!!? :panic: :smt013

MOTW for Life!!!

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:00 am

Everyone is free to host there own tournament. This tournament is about classic themed maps, not the classic map with different settings. I personally would never host classic with the horrible setting 50% 5,10,15. It a chance game and even worse then Bio extreme. If it was up to me it would be taken from the tracker and hosted by the people self.
Baden wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2017 9:24 pm

As I already stated at that time: PJB never played or tried "that douchy 5,10,15 50% bs". And now you propose that I should be open minded for even more exotic variants of classic? Are those now ennobled by the mod PJB while he still shows disrespect for a real classic setup?
If someone shows disrespect to the classic map its you baden. I have tried those horrible settings u love so much and it sucks big time. It is a huge disrespect to the classsic map with classic settings like the original Risk has 0% 4,6,8,10,12,15.

Ill close this topic for now. Baden just loves to troll arround and has nothing positive to add to this topic .

RogueMonk
Lux Addict

Post by RogueMonk » Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:38 pm

Troll post removed.
Last edited by PJB on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Sat Oct 28, 2017 8:35 am

Final results.

Well done Gfips and George. You came close Brain :)
I hoped there were some more players and games but this will do fine.
38 games and 31 players, 16 games counted towards the tournament score.

Thanks for playing all.

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:36 pm

Since i was organising the tournament BRAINDEAD deserves the third place! Well done winners!

1. Gfips
2...George874
3. ....BRAINDEAD

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:48 pm

Hi PJB - you have won fairly! You organized it, but it was Dustins host. So I see no problem in winning you the tournament. You had no advantage vs the other players. You did very well buddy. It is always a bad feeling to win the own tournament, but it was a fair win! So I refuse to take gold!
(in Castle Royale it was a bit different as I was hosting myself ... so i did not give me 3rd place as I might have had an advantage!).

But anyways - thanks for letting that tourney happen! I would be glad if we could get some more classic games in future again!