Biohazard rankings

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Biohazard rankings

Post by dustin » Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:56 pm

We're gonna be trialing some rankings changes...

First up is the creation of a monthly Biohazard specific leaderboard. If you play on biohazard maps, you'll get a ranking on the new Barons of Biohazard listing.

These games will still alo affect your weekly raw, as before. However, this may change in the future...

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Re: Biohazard rankings

Post by PJB » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:52 pm

nice

:smt023

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty
Location: on the playground is where i spent most of my days, chillin' all nice and relaxing all cool and

Post by Red Beard » Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:52 pm

dustin wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:56 pm
However, this may change in the future...
If this does change in the future, what will replace it? I am purely speculating, but I'm guessing a push for players to play more diverse maps?

If biodeux does get nuked (heh), I think you're going to have to replace it with something at least somewhat substantial just to get it off the ground. Regardless, this change would drive away a portion of an already dwindling player base, but then again, it might draw back a few players. Who knows. However, if biodeux DOES get nixed and it's replacement isn't well thought out and approachable, then I hope you've considered the possibility that it might finally tank what's left of this game.

Just my two cents! Happy to have an open and chill dialogue about this if you all care to open up your playbook. If this is the way all of this is determined to play out, it would be worthwhile to weigh the pro's and get feedback from people about what they might like to see.

But also, let's all be real here. None of us are going to agree 100% about any of this. Hell if we can all agree on 40%+ I'd call it a win. So let's try not too get too hot under the collar and keep it constructive.

-Matt

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:17 am

No proposal to nix bio is advocated by anyone at the moment, Red Beard. The current advocacy is to leave bio, as a popular map, with its own exclusive monthly ranking and simply make the weekly chase a weekly tournament on a different map or theme each week. The biggest change is to decouple all other rooms from the weekly ranking except for the curated one or two.

re: risks. In theory some bio players only like bio for its point churning effect, but not many have spoken up about that. As you say, the loss of those few hard to find folks like that will perhaps be offset by the gains. I sort of think the worry over losing the few players playing is like a restaurant owner facing dwindling patronage but neglecting to improve out of concern over the few who still do patronize her establishment. We have very low patronage but there is a floor here. IRE has always had only a few and it keeps going year after year. I have seen quite a few games in recent weeks on other maps where players were just thrilled to have some variety and fun. There may be risks, but since we would not be taking away the offering of the map itself, but just it's monopoly on the restaurant's menu, I feel it's worth it. Honestly, at this point would we be risking that much to make this move?

Original Rationale for my proposal: In my view, the rankings system had a flaw from the very start, akin to a track meet host allowing some schools to bring only sprinters (or only javelin throwers or shot putters) and still churn points and win the meet. It could be bio is just brilliant, or the shortness has its own appeal even on its own because people have limited time. It is also almost certain, IMO, that bio's negative elements are not intrinsic to it as a map, but more to its size and its huge repetitiveness/familiarity. In any event, it's a cool map and a short fix for a break at work or whatever. We keep it and give it its own ranking. We curate a weekly competition apart from that, giving us the advantages of meaningfulness, possibly attracting some players back, decreasing the monotony of the chase, creating a mechanism for improving the chase, and lending coherence to long term seeding. Probably monthlies will end up counting in some way toward seeding.

Maps don't only vary on size. The variety deserves to be counted in the competition offered, but if a churny map is allowed to high-jack the system at the expense of others, it is not as credible on seedings. "OH, s/he did the best job churning through game after game after game." There indeed various other harms that happened over the years. For example, at some point, the classic folks conspired to sabotage folks who played other maps out of bitterness over the extra points derived therefrom, according to one person I chatted with.

I doubt much of the ill in bio deux will go away if it's not the go-to churny map for the weekly chase. However, with diverse maps/themes, at least the familiarity underlying some of the most bitter feuds will not be there. By this, I mean how the map is played over and over and has very clear repetitive patterns and very clear player accommodations for some of the negative patterns (be cool, turtling, etc), so at least that will be a missing source of angst among the players. A week is not enough time for a map to gain the ruts and grooves that bio has.

As a volunteer, I hope this restaurant doesn't close and that it upgrades the menu. A good number agree with me and I hope you will too.

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:47 am

Bean wrote:
Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:17 am
No proposal to nix bio is advocated by anyone at the moment, Red Beard. The current advocacy is to leave bio, as a popular map, with its own exclusive monthly ranking and simply make the weekly chase a weekly tournament on a different map or theme each week. The biggest change is to decouple all other rooms from the weekly ranking except for the curated one or two.
I support this and think this is a good idea. Bio rooms will stay open like always and now have a monthly ranking. In the near future we will do a trial to do the weekly medal/chase on one specified map which changes every week.

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:30 am

No worries. Like Bean said, this is NOT done to kill bio.
Small changes will be done step by step in the future. Noone will be kicked out of his favourite map. As long as people want to play bio they will have the chance to play bio. But with the separate rankings we see even an extra advantage for the people who want to focus only on this map. Bio-players now have also their own monthly competetion, same as classic and rome. So hopefully this will also end the discussions "bio vs classic vs rome". Each of these maps have its own right to exist. Different players, different strategy and different expectations of the game.

But time changes and changes are necessary to modernize the system. So there might be changes in the weekly chase like Bean said. I think noone is really happy with the actual state of the weekly chase. With that maybe it is possible to move the focus also on other maps to bring more diversity in the weekly play. Bean's status quo of the plans is very well.

Feel free to discuss with us. Ideas are always welcomed. We appreciate your all support.

Shockandawe
Lux Vigilante

Post by Shockandawe » Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:16 pm

It's kind of amusing.

Years ago you had MotW and your weekly chase. MotW was used to push play on different maps. So it's being revived and promoted to the overall weekly contest.

Bio is being moved into a ranking system that was also used previously when rankings were moved to a monthly system.

In reality nothing is actually changing and time is a flat circle.

landlord
Lux Demon

Post by landlord » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:07 pm

when is the weekly raw reset?

landlord
Lux Demon

Post by landlord » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:12 pm

its 6:12 eastern time and raw still remain the same ?

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:34 am

I think there went something wrong. Up to Dustin now to bring light in the dark and fix the rankings.
Either it is a bug or a new secret feature :-)

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:53 am

Looks like a timeout happened when it tried to reset at normal time. I just manually ran the reset script again. So it happened later then normal this week. Sorry for any discombobulation.

landlord
Lux Demon

Post by landlord » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:49 pm

Thank you