Game Lobby Settings

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Game Lobby Settings

Post by Dangerous Beans » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:56 pm

Hexwood Showdown, 44s timer- 122 countries
Imperium Romanum, 44s timer - 82 countries

The only Bio room options (34 countries for Extreme) are 15s and 35s...
Spacestation Lux has 48 countries and a 35s timer...

If you want a twitch Bio room make it twitch at 8-12s, not some lukewarm halfway twitch halfway normal Bio settings :?

The Classic room has a 30s timer, it should be 27s, or at the most 29s if you are feeling generous.

Blobs has a 38s timer, I don't even need to count the countries in that one to know how ridiculous that is.
:(

Just looking at the timers overall makes me wonder if the person deciding the settings is on a trackpad or what?

For reference Bean (or whatever mod is arbitrarily putting insanely long timers on every room):

anywhere from .6 to .7 seconds per country is a fair timer. So all you have to do is count the countries a map has, get out a calculator and multiple the # of countries times by somewhere in-between .6 to .7 (.65 is fair, .7 is if you want to give slow players a chance) and whatever number comes out is what you put as the turn time.
:panic:

It is pretty sad to see absolutely ZERO thought being put into turn timers - but I guess this is a good indicator of the quality of moderation these days...

:smt009

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Re: Game Lobby Settings

Post by Bean » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:12 pm

Thanks for the tips and the gross insults bud.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:06 pm

Hmm; i thought imperium had 103 countries all these years. Maybe 82 on some bio setting? But that's okay to leave some seconds on there. Impacts? If I play a map and notice something wrong, I change the timer. I mod for free. Not on call or in some "customer is always right" vortex of doom. I'm not really insulted, but it seems you are, DB. Think it through. Facts. Situation. Context.

Things that are higher priority than my timer-management-and-maybe-kill-that-silly-bio-deux-for-free mod job:
a. Growing a son.
b. Building houses and learning new things about building and design.
c. Getting better at Swing Dancing.
d. Getting better at blues, tango, fusion, dancing.
e. Defeating the nefarious squirrels of doom in my attic above my bed.
f. Paying taxes.
g. HR management.

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:00 am

I changed classic back to 30 sec and blobs to 34 sec.

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:18 pm

Thanks, PJB!

:D

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:15 am

Bean wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:06 pm
Hmm; i thought imperium had 103 countries all these years. Maybe 82 on some bio setting? But that's okay to leave some seconds on there. Impacts? If I play a map and notice something wrong, I change the timer. I mod for free. Not on call or in some "customer is always right" vortex of doom. I'm not really insulted, but it seems you are, DB. Think it through. Facts. Situation. Context.

Things that are higher priority than my timer-management-and-maybe-kill-that-silly-bio-deux-for-free mod job:
a. Growing a son.
b. Building houses and learning new things about building and design.
c. Getting better at Swing Dancing.
d. Getting better at blues, tango, fusion, dancing.
e. Defeating the nefarious squirrels of doom in my attic above my bed.
f. Paying taxes.
g. HR management.
No one is forcing you to mod, if you don't enjoy it or have the time, no need to go around tinkering map settings for whatever reason you decide makes sense.

However, no need to get defensive, if you are not here to make the game more enjoyable for the people playing then why are you here as a moderator? No reason to go online to randomly change timer settings with no logic behind it when you are busy doing other things- kinda reminds me of when you signed up to play mafia then never bothered to read the rules- what is the point?

I respect your priorities in life, but there is really no need for you to change map settings every week with your magic wand.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:07 am

hmm. i thought you were complaining about the map settings. I totally enjoy modding. I get the feeling you are way more disappointed in the way things are than I am and then using that ill-will to cast aspersions in my direction. The timers and cards are often set randomly or badly and I know a few things about it. I am happy you are back, but in recent weeks, your ire is growing. I am 'sorry' for that, but also not responsible for your emotions.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:06 pm

I think my last post summed up my points pretty accurately- there is no reason to arbitrarily change the timers and game settings every week, it makes 0 sense. And it is ridiculous to tinker with the settings and then use your engagements in life as an excuse for doing it.

No need to project.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:43 pm

hmm. okay. I don't think your theory of timer settings was very good, indeed mostly assertion. But you seem to think my tinkering is misguided or contrary to evidence, and even that it is all non accidental, enough to throw around "insane" and "ridiculous". IRE should be 62 seconds under your formula. Not a good formula. We are at an impasse. Not sure where you got your confidence in timer settings or your arrogance. Come on man! You are bitching and moaning at people who are working for free and have good intentions, just because it's online and you have self confidence. Gee. Guess what. My self esteem is not that low. You are a total stranger to me, calling names and using words suggesting pretty intense frustration. There is no need to "project" when someone expresses emotions directly. To whom is your persuasion directed? It ain't workin' on me. I feel the same sense of ridiculous as you do I'm sure.

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:24 am

Dangerous Beans wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:56 pm

Blobs has a 38s timer, I don't even need to count the countries in that one to know how ridiculous that is.

It is pretty sad to see absolutely ZERO thought being put into turn timers - but I guess this is a good indicator of the quality of moderation these days...

HI DB,

So I put the timer for blobs on 38 seconds which is ridiculous according to you. So what time do you think is acceptable for that map?

66 countries times 0.6 sec = 39,6 seconds
and thats for quick players according to you. I would have put the time higher cause we are not only hosting for fast players.

Or do you mean the timer is just way to short?

With bio I would prefer a twitch maybe 7 or 8 seconds only that will make the room crash very fast and than its gone until dustin does a server reset. I would prefer 25 and a 35 seconds room. George, controleola and a few others prefer more time and im sure the few newbies we get also.

After a server reset we got like 20 rooms and most of the time within 48 hours more than half of the room are gone.

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:13 pm

Thanks again, PJB. Good points.

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:23 pm

Thanx Miss lady Troll.

Which points did you like the best?

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:21 pm

Most of them.

Beansie (DB) is from an era where players were more adept at running the board (and at Lux in general). The times he suggests are mostly spot-on if you're trying to appeal to players like him (i.e., better players).

I think your idea of 25 and 35s rooms would hit a nice compromise for both better players and the rest of us. Pity they aren't more stable. It sounds like that would just make more work for you.

And it's good to know that the best twitch timers (like 8 seconds) can't really be used regularly without more active administration. That's a pity, but not your fault.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:08 pm

Bean wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:43 pm
hmm. okay. I don't think your theory of timer settings was very good, indeed mostly assertion. But you seem to think my tinkering is misguided or contrary to evidence, and even that it is all non accidental, enough to throw around "insane" and "ridiculous". IRE should be 62 seconds under your formula. Not a good formula. We are at an impasse. Not sure where you got your confidence in timer settings or your arrogance. Come on man! You are bitching and moaning at people who are working for free and have good intentions, just because it's online and you have self confidence. Gee. Guess what. My self esteem is not that low. You are a total stranger to me, calling names and using words suggesting pretty intense frustration. There is no need to "project" when someone expresses emotions directly. To whom is your persuasion directed? It ain't workin' on me. I feel the same sense of ridiculous as you do I'm sure.
I really don't feel any sense of ridiculousness, the timer settings you and PJB had were most definitely ridiculous settings, and if me pointing that out makes you get feel the need to defend yourself personally that is on you.

Like I said before, there is no reason for you to randomly put different timer settings every week. It is ridiculous. And if you associate yourself that much with your actions to think that this constitutes me 'calling names' and 'bitching and moaning' then you are ridiculous as well.

And when I posted this thread, the room I was full of people questioning your timer system as well, I just brought it to your attention 'cuz you seem to think that it is fine to change the settings to your own preferences every week with no logic or reason behind it. Simple as that. But please tell me more about how you don't get paid to go around playing with the settings. :roll:

-Also I never said my system was perfect, I just made it up in 1 minute based on the consensus approved timer for classic and used that same ratio. Took about 1 minute to do and made more sense than whatever timer settings you decided on...

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:11 pm

PJB wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:24 am
Dangerous Beans wrote:

HI DB,

So I put the timer for blobs on 38 seconds which is ridiculous according to you. So what time do you think is acceptable for that map?

and thats for quick players according to you. I would have put the time higher cause we are not only hosting for fast players.

Blobs- Huge has 44 countries unless I can't count these days.

44 x .6 = 26.4, so 28s would seem fine IMO since apparently players these days like longer timers.

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:13 pm

Dammit, Beansie! I was just playing, where were you?

:smt013 :smt054

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:17 pm

The Silken Knot wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:21 pm
Most of them.

Beansie (DB) is from an era where players were more adept at running the board (and at Lux in general). The times he suggests are mostly spot-on if you're trying to appeal to players like him (i.e., better players).

I think your idea of 25 and 35s rooms would hit a nice compromise for both better players and the rest of us. Pity they aren't more stable. It sounds like that would just make more work for you.

And it's good to know that the best twitch timers (like 8 seconds) can't really be used regularly without more active administration. That's a pity, but not your fault.
25s for Bio would be a good compromise IMO. Part of Lux is paying attention to the game and planning your moves ahead of time, then executing them or learning to adapt. When you give players 40s timers they AFK and wait until it becomes their turn to even look at the map. This obviously doesn't help players learn to improve their gameplay, so you can't give players these long timers than turn around and wonder why players do poor things- such as not doing the basic strategies Bean lists in his Simple and Sorry-Free Play idea.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:18 pm

The Silken Knot wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:13 pm
Dammit, Beansie! I was just playing, where were you?

:smt013 :smt054
Hehe, we should do a Winner-Picks room sooner than later.
:scooter

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:39 pm

Okay then. We're done, DB. You can spew all you want. I am sorry. Won't happen again.

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:49 am

Dangerous Beans wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:11 pm
PJB wrote:
Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:24 am
Dangerous Beans wrote:

HI DB,

Blobs- Huge has 44 countries unless I can't count these days.

44 x .6 = 26.4, so 28s would seem fine IMO since apparently players these days like longer timers.
Well I solved the Blobs-huge mystery. Every new game there is a different amount of countries. When I looked there were 66 countries.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:48 pm

absoluly ridiculus

Deep Blue
Lux Addict

Post by Deep Blue » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:13 pm

Cubes was on 60sec? I changed it back