No more Bio?

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Red Beard
Beard of Plenty
Location: on the playground is where i spent most of my days, chillin' all nice and relaxing all cool and

No more Bio?

Post by Red Beard » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:53 pm

I noticed there's like 20 maps up and none of them are bio. Is this a new thing or an "accident"?

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Re: No more Bio?

Post by Bean » Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:57 pm

Not an accident.

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty
Location: on the playground is where i spent most of my days, chillin' all nice and relaxing all cool and

Post by Red Beard » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:17 pm

Welp, it's been fun. RIP lux.

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty

Post by Red Beard » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:28 pm

Also, thanks Dustin for creating such a rad game and thanks to all of the people who put in a lot of effort to make this an awesome place. Despite whatever things didn't work out or what complaints people had, fair or not, it had a really long run (15+ years!). The community here was great and there were a lot of good times. Props to all of you out there.
-Matt

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Sun Aug 18, 2019 7:13 pm

RB, it sure would be a shame to find out such a great player as yourself is only interested in one map of all the great ones Lux has on offer. I hope you will relent in this feeling and start playing some games. Look at the stupid seedings. Just a few games per week and you could put the brakes on my unchecked and undeserved ascendency in the seeds!

I recognize it's hard for people to come together over almost any sort of difference in political opinion these days, but the record is the record. You can't blame me for what bio did just because I'm the one who advocated fixing it once it had largely finished its work. Or, maybe you can. Of course you can! My point is that we mods see that Lux had a failing design that tended toward driving people away while letting some of its best offerings languish. Fixing that won't fix our marketing, but it's a start.

Claiming there would ever be a chance at bio or other monocultures leading toward a healthy recovery is very very contrary to everything I know about economics, rhetoric, and design. And, yes, as I have said, I know this is not a marketing redesign, but I feel it's a necessary foundation for any marketing we do.

If you still really really don't get pluralism, and wonder how can a sane person not see the world your way, I'll just do it like I imagine someone on one of those cheesy morning tv shows would, frame it in moralism and overly simplistic appeals to emotion: I don't want my son or anyone I care about to be exposed to the kind of culture I have seen too often in Lux. It is possible it's not bio or IRE behind it, or, as I see it, the general-comfort-with-only-one-map mindset, but I think there is a reasonable case to be made.

Play the same map over and over and over and you get expectations growing, even ones that have little to do with anything but that one specific shape, timing, and texture that we call a map. They grow and they grow and they cause disappointment. "How can these opponents of mine care so little about my expectations?! They deserve my utmost contempt and abuse!"

I think we ought to do what we can to make this a place we would feel comfortable introducing to our family and friends. I'm not saying I would not want my son to meet you in particular, RB, but you get my drift.

This has been coming for a long time. Others tried and failed to put a stop to it. I finally lobbied hard enough and, to be honest, some sketchy behavior in bio helped turn a big vote in my favor. I also happened to be advocating this in the final stages of Lux's decline, so there's that.

This doesn't deserve the kind of bitterness someone might feel discovering a real political difference among close friends or family (like on abortion or political party), the kind that would drive a person to stop playing a game over it. The game's hosting structure and design were flawed. Simple as that. Might still be flawed in some other way. We can't just keep driving straight to hell.

I'm sorry for your loss, but I'll not be ashamed of my good faith effort here.

landlord
Lux Demon

Post by landlord » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:40 am

Bean you didn't learn from your mistakes you destroy what was left

the biggest issue in the world start when people cant admit to their mistake and they continue on with what they do the game will be dead in a matter of couple days or weeks

What A shame

landlord
Lux Demon

Post by landlord » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:04 am

the issue is not even bio i dont like it so much but taking our freedom away making us choose what kind of map should we play or not all the name of sorry free protocol

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:34 am

Anyone can host any map they like.

landlord
Lux Demon

Post by landlord » Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:54 am

how do we host?

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:08 am

plane crazy
Lux Corporate Pilot

Post by plane crazy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:17 am

Bean, I don't see any support for this decision. Where is your support? And I will say it is not in the form of 9 year dormant old posts being bumped. Those old posts are not relevent to todays game. Sure bio is a flawed game. So what? Everything and everybody has flaws. Honestly I like you, but your choice to try and ban the most popular game in Luxville is flawed. Let it die a natural death, with all it's bugs and flaws complete, to the end.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:05 pm

Our present menu (with bio dominating) has not seen anything but decline for 10+ years. That's the entire support. Now that our menu has finished with its work of failing, it's time to start a new menu that has some promise of succeeding. There is nothing that looks like "popular" for Lux at this time. My reasoning for researching older threads is that it provides evidence of voices in the past who no longer have a voice now. I wondered if Bio was indeed keeping Lux alive or just failing over and over. I think it fails over and over. It drove away folks.

It's a bad practice to design a menu of offerings based on a declining and near dead customer base. It had its chance. It's over now. It's not incumbent upon us to keep trying a failing strategy. That's just silly.

plane crazy
Lux Corporate Pilot

Post by plane crazy » Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:54 pm

I believe bio kept Lux alive well past it's prime. Just the thought that a glitchy, unimproved, mostly abandoned by it's creator, 15 year old on-line game lasted this long is amazing.

Every so-called voice from the past had the choice to play any game on the tracker at any given time. Because bio was the most popular game, they chose to vilafy it and made it a scapegoat because their prized classic rooms could not draw players. So they stomped their little feet and left. Period.

I have tried to find 4 or more players to play a bio game with for over two weeks now to finish my last 13 games to reach my 10000 game goal. I have not been succesful. Sigh. So it goes. Pull the plug Dustin, your creation is suffering a needless slow death. Put it out of its disfunctional misery.

R.I.P. Lux

PJB
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by PJB » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:20 pm

plane crazy wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:54 pm
Sigh. So it goes. Pull the plug Dustin, your creation is suffering a needless slow death. Put it out of its disfunctional misery.

R.I.P. Lux
Put it out of its dysfunctional misery? Well, I still like to play and i know others to. Just because sillysoft is not hosting Bio, the plug needs to be pulled?
Sorry but this game is more than Bio. I myself will host some maps soon.

Any of you hardcore Bio players that think the end of the world of lux is near, can host Bio themselves and save this part of the Lux world.

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:03 pm

Bean loves the smell of napalm in the morning

gypsymystyc
Forum Newbie

Post by gypsymystyc » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:48 pm

Whelp! It was a fun run. In a way, I'm glad you guys ended it. Its fait to say that Bio has been pretty lame and without much strategy for quite some time. None the less, I enjoyed having the mindless entertainment while at work. If ya'll think that hosting other games here is going to magicly ignite a fresh lux community are delusional if you ask me. I'll say fare the well!

gypsymystyc
Forum Newbie

Post by gypsymystyc » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Red Beard wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:17 pm
Welp, it's been fun. RIP lux.
yep. guess that's the end of that! Good playing with you all these years buddy. Blessing on you and yours. CHeers!

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty

Post by Red Beard » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:36 pm

Agree gyp. I'll miss games with you duder. You're a good bloke. take care of yourself out there.

plane crazy
Lux Corporate Pilot

Post by plane crazy » Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:02 am

It is Thursday, 11 players have played this week. Zero fh games......

killercatfish
Luxer

Post by killercatfish » Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:56 pm

PJB wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 10:34 am
Anyone can host any map they like.
I've hosted quite a few games in my time. Not anyone can host anymore. In fact, none of us trying to host bio have been able to for months. So, if Sillysoft no longer wants to host Bio, I respectfully request some assistance in getting myself the ability to host once again.

Thanks In Advance!

With love from the bottom feeder,
-KCF

[Insert Big Lebowski Quote Here]

MrMartini2
Lux Newbie

Post by MrMartini2 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:26 am

I have noticed a huge increase in traffic the past 2 weeks with no Bio!!!!

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:36 pm

Map hosting of course would have nothing to do with traffic. Stopping some maps would naturally decrease it in fact, since some folks assert they can only enjoy their one map. There are one or two IRE folks like that too.

So, as expected, a. decrease in traffic, b. slight increase in self hosting. c. Some progress on getting our ducks in order going forward.

I think it's hard to make a hosting scheme that would appeal always to both the type of person who likes his/her habits and routines, the lovely comfort of the familiar, and freedom from confusion/mental strain and a type of person who likes variety and challenge, trying out new situations and adapting his/her strategy accordingly. A single person might be both, one way one day and the other way another day, or a mix.

Myself, I love dancing, but I tend to be reluctant to go beyond my main 2 dances. I have tried, but Salsa on Saturday is a struggle for me after Swing on Friday. Anyway, map differences are nowhere near as big as dance differences, or are they? This may be a "weird" analogy (to spare someone the chore of calling me weird again).

I think maybe it can be done, but not at these numbers for sure. Moreover, we have a manageability problem in our old system. We think we need a facelift and need to have it locked down and running well before too much marketing. Part of that facelift is choosing not to host maps in a fixed fashion, but instead curating what we host and rotating in our best maps so dynamism is preserved.

Thanks for contributing to the discussion. MRM.

killercatfish
Luxer

Post by killercatfish » Tue Aug 27, 2019 7:06 pm

Bean wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:36 pm
Myself, I love dancing
and I love fishing. Doesn't mean I force you to fish.

CET
Luxer

Post by CET » Wed Aug 28, 2019 7:55 pm

I don't understand, what is wrong with bio? It is the most fun to pay, and most dynamic. Lux is down to almost no players, why take away any options?

If lux dies, well, that will be too bad, it has given me people to chat with while I did all kinds of tasks, and for the price of one registration 10 years ago!

I hope you all find a way to bring in new players, and I don't see bio as a problem… I guess the post eliminates my chances for HOF! lol

killercatfish
Luxer

Post by killercatfish » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:17 pm

I think the key here is that when the bio room was taken down, a legit community was squashed. I, for one, am happy to continue to host bio forever and ever (as you can imagine). So we would all appreciate the ability for this to continue.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:27 pm

CET, I don't think we need to rehash over and over what may or may not be wrong with bio. It's okay. Sometimes it gets blamed for its players. I don't mean you. I dont' see a CET thread in the mod lounge. lol.

Just out of curiosity, what are the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th most fun to play maps, in your experience?

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty

Post by Red Beard » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:30 pm

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:31 pm

what you got against hot dogs?!

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:58 am

Well the age-old 'is Bio good for Lux?' debate is back it seems.

Everything has already been said about this matter, but here goes my reiteration...
:arrow:

In terms of stopping to host Bio in order to change the course of Lux's fate:
You are right Bean in that it is too little too late. At this point Lux IS Bio. The cancer was left to spread to the point where it completely took over the host, and to exterminate the cancer is to exterminate the host. I was one of the people most opposed to Bio, but even I can admit that at this stage there is no advantage to removing the only map that still gets a FH. It is a heroic effort no doubt, Bean, but since Lux IS Bio all you can achieve by this is getting rid of Lux.

:smt068

Lux is OLD:
IF Bio had never existed what would the state of Lux be like today? It would definitely be less toxic, and there would most likely be a few more players left and the Castles tourney might have lasted a couple more years (the REAL castles tourney, not the mockery of one in recent years), but you(Bean) would probably still be trying some other means of saving lux from some other version of 'inevitable' decline.

:panic:

The fact is Lux is a old ass game that is based on a board game
:
Most kids don't play board games that much anymore and not all but the majority of people who bought Lux have some experience with the board game. At any rate, there are very few video games that still have a player base more than a decade after they are created. One could argue that other board games like chess still have huge online player bases, but chess also has MAGNITUDES more players than risk, and it is also 2-player.

:smt021

~There will always be a few players around Lux, for whatever reason, a few old faces will resurface and a few will disappear. But nothing can stop the slow downward slope of declining players for a game like Lux- regardless of Bio. A lot of luxers that survive today weren't even around to experience the glory of Lux before Bio choked out the players that made this place so fun and unique and competitive in the game and chat and fourms, but the echoes of that can still be /almost/ heard to this day.

:globe :scooter

~So why are any of us here reading this and why the fuck am I typing it...? Because for one reason or the other we all have fun and have good memories of Lux and why we still play it. For me it brings back nostalgia from the golden era of Lux, as well as my passion for Risk the board game as well (which still gets played around the dinner table when my family gets together). And it still feels damn good running the board and getting a 5-man kill in one round... even if it can only happen on Bio now.

:smt109 :smt028 :smt109

:shield.

Dangerous Beans
oO0-0Oo-oO0-0Oo

Post by Dangerous Beans » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:07 pm

Red Beard wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:28 pm
Also, thanks Dustin for creating such a rad game and thanks to all of the people who put in a lot of effort to make this an awesome place. Despite whatever things didn't work out or what complaints people had, fair or not, it had a really long run (15+ years!). The community here was great and there were a lot of good times. Props to all of you out there.
-Matt
Agree.

Matt- it has always been a pleasure chatting and joking with you as we compete against each other in the game- that is a beautiful dynamic. I am sad to see one of the few remaining true old ass classic mavericks and talented all-around players go (if this is truly your retirement :smt096 ), but I am happy for being able to get to know you a little bit and spending time playing then looking at the clock and realizing how many hours went past over the years.

Take it easy brotha.
~DB
:beers