New Hall of Famer ?

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
bod
BOD isn´t a bot

New Hall of Famer ?

Post by bod » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:39 am

I would like to nominate bean who seems to have taken on the role of Executioner of Lux.

Well done sir for killing lux, your gambit seems to be a failure, in 2 days lux has seen how many online games ?

Good game everyone, it has been a pleasure playing with everyone over the years, the end was coming, so sad to see its final curtain in such a bullshit and offhand manner.

Bean I understand you want to change things and folk to play more maps etc but who the hell gave you the right to do it this way ?

Its a new world,
Trump, Brexit, Immigration, Crimea and now Luxed.

Laters all

/me wonders off to find a suitable game to occupy another 10 years

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Re: New Hall of Famer ?

Post by Bean » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:33 am

Who do you think?

The scheme we used failed to do well for 10+ years. It lasted way too long. Now that it finished its work for the most part, it was less harmful to end it and think of something new.

Why should we leave things be when it sucks and has failed to do anything but birth a toxic culture and help a tiny few folks enjoy a version of the game that is "easy on the brain" and comes in nice 7 min chunks?

It's sort of surprising to me that anyone expects the game to continue in the same form based on the record. And no, the near term effects are not relevant. That's like saying a hot dog vendor who, upon noticing declining sales and food trucks popping up all around and decides to try something new, is an ass because his tiny customer base still loves hot dogs and ONLY hot dogs. How dare he get tired of offering crap to a few!? I think any clear thinking person would expect him to say "no soup for you!" Er, *hot dogs. Come to think of it a lot of bars faced similar outrage among Bud Light lovers when they tried to adapt to the craft beer trend.

This is not a marketing move and not AT ALL designed to please the type of person who basically says to us, "we only like this one thing you have on offer." If that group were consistent in their tastes with what we would like to do and were a large and growing force, it would not make sense to turn away from them. Neither things are true about this group. It's sad too. Folks like gyps and red beard have seemed to love other maps at times in the past, but now seem to think bio is the only thing they can bear to play. It's fine. I don't think it's wrong. It's just not the mindset I'd like to cater to. I think to some degree that's why others voted in favor of this change too.

We do not have to babysit the final decline of Lux without changing anything. It's no moral failing to give up in advance of that and just try something new. Lux is dead. Long live Lux.

If some better care and marketing allow a growing customer base, we'll be happy, but if not, we'll try something new again. However, I do not see particularly brilliant game mechanics in the other online risk alternatives. The whole argument offered by, I think, Shockwave and others that it's just a natural decay infecting lux, seems inconsistent with the weakness I see in these alternatives.

We are not required by ethics to keep offering a failing formula, nor are you required to keep on in your practice of only liking one thing of all the things on offer here.

It's simple.

Red Beard
Beard of Plenty
Location: on the playground is where i spent most of my days, chillin' all nice and relaxing all cool and

Post by Red Beard » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:31 pm

You know what's a good way to lead a community? Arguing with everyone to justify yourself when your actions bombed and have no support. Another good way to lead a community? Listen to no one but yourself.

Dude, like it's okay. Lux has been on a slow decline for a while, you just happened to be the person holding the shotgun at the end. You gave something a shot and put in more effort than most. I respect that. But it doesn't seem like you listened to anyone along the way and it's backfired pretty spectacularly. You're not really convincing anyone here no matter how many weird food analogies and marketing boast you make. There is no market. There are only the people here and there's not many of them. There haven't been any new players in an ice-age. It is what it is, I think the rest of us just wanted to enjoy what was left for a little while. That's about all there is to it.

Also, please, cut back on the wall texts. They all more or less say the same thing.

Bean
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by Bean » Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:49 pm

It's cool. I think you are coming to understand that my goal was not to persuade YOU to stop liking the one map you like in Lux. It's weird that the same facts you just mention (no market, not many people here) are used by we both the justify opposite conclusions about what to do. I say bad status quo = change. You say bad status quo = stay the same. Best wishes.