'67 Bug Progress

Of the people, by the people, for the people, for whatevs.
sasquatch
Semiholy Beast

'67 Bug Progress

Post by sasquatch » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:45 pm

Ok, maybe I am reading "Bug Reports" too literally here(?). After getting hit head-on two years ago by a teenage driver, I am finally finishing up the 2nd rebuild on my 1967 VW Off-Road Sedan. I built the original concept car 7 years ago from an abandoned '67 beetle (with stock sunroof) found literally sinking into a farmer's field. I drove it for 50,000 miles before getting hit 1 mile from my house on a dirt road.

The body work & paint on the hood and fenders is now complete and the upgraded IRS pan (w/ new front end) is almost ready to bolt up. While it was out of the car, I stripped the engine down to the block, inspected and rebuilt it with new bearings, rings, and heads so it should be ready for another 50,000 miles of fun. I've owned dozens of air-cooled VWs during my life and I just can't shake this bug!

:D

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:59 pm

Totally Cool. Is it streat legal? I noticed the absence of headlights in the traditional position, do you have them mounted on the missing bumbper?

sasquatch
Semiholy Beast

Post by sasquatch » Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:20 pm

Yes, it will be street legal again once I install the front bumper and headlights. I will cutout the holes in the fenders for the new headlight buckets once I have the correct parts (they will go in the "stock" positions). The front bumper will be another double tube model since the first one probably saved my life. With it's extra clearance and big, bouncy tires, I can drive this VW Bug most everywhere that I drive my 4x4 truck. I am still very proud of the vintage dashboard arrangement which took extra effort to restore!

VWs are cool!
Sasquatch

danmax
Lux Veteran

Post by danmax » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:24 pm

Hhmm, 67. First year for 12 volts I think. Looks like you have changed from generator to alternator. Also looks like a Bosch 009 distrib. Oil cooler is not dog-leg type, so you should consider running your valves a little looser on number 3 cylinder. What type of exhaust are you going to run?
Last edited by danmax on Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muskie
Deimos Piscis

Post by Muskie » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:13 pm

I had a '64 n 1/2

danmax
Lux Veteran

Post by danmax » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:09 am

Ever hear of the VW square motor? It was the 1300cc engine. The bore was the same as the stroke. Still about 40HP, but probably the most reliable of any of the engines. My personal favorite was the 1500 single port heads. Carbs on the dual ports were always problematic, especially when smogged out.

You can tell me to shut up any time when it comes to VW crap. I had them for years. I even had a '55 with the flip-out (semiphor) turn signals that popped out from the door frame. I also worked on a hippy girl's '53 van with a 36HP and push-out front windows. Ever see split window (rear) bug? Ever rebuilt reduction gears on an old van? Ever put a throw out bearing in backwards when stoned?

God I'm glad I don't have one anymore, but they were a gas at the time. They have great heaters that work really well in those cold Colorado winters I hear.

sasquatch
Semiholy Beast

Post by sasquatch » Thu Aug 03, 2006 11:09 am

Yep, 1967 was the first year of 12 volt and my personal favorite year for many of the models. I owned a sweet 1967 Squareback that I probably should have kept. But I have always had a soft spot for the Type III's (Squareback, Fastback, Notchback).

For this Beetle, the 009 is actually left over from the dual Kadron carbs I had on when I got in the accident, but I'll probably switch it back to a stock vacuum advance/retard model after it is running again to better compliment the PICT 36 carb. I'll use Bugpack baja headers with a single quiet pack muffler. The motor is a later model motor so that is why you see the alternator, late model shroud, and dual port. The '67 (one-year-only) air cleaner is just a nice touch. I haven't ever had any problems getting this car smogged (required in Colorado). Lean out the mixture, retard the spark and she passes every time!

I actually had reduction boxes on this bug when it was hit! 1967 had the swing axle transmissions and I found a set of reduction boxes from a 62 bus that I adapted into the Type 1. The extra low gearing (with higher and wider back end) really helped the rock crawling ability, but reduced the top speed down to 60-65 mph. The most interesting driving attribute with reduction boxes is that rapid acceleration causes the back end to rise (rear springs stiffen) because of the reversed torque (axles run backwards). You can actually use this to your advantage off road to lift the car over high obstacles with a well timed tap on the gas pedal. So, yes, I have some deep experience with reduction boxes. Everyone always talks about putting reduction boxes into bajas... but I am a guy who really did all the engineering!

One of my good friends, who is also a terminal VW fan, owned a 1948 split window beetle (earliest Bug I've ever seen). It was a great looking vehicle, but needed a full restoration to really shine. The big problem with the early, early models is that they have that whopping 36 hp and cable brakes.... not the safest car to drive on the highway today. All of the VWs I have ever owned are from the 60's but I love checking out the split/oval window Beetles, early buses and the Kubbelwagens at the VW shows. The Bug-In will be in Denver next weekend, but I have a weekend date with a real live woman so I'll be missing it this year (well, not really missing it).

Sasquatch

Blind Willie
Lux Veteran

Post by Blind Willie » Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:39 pm

Damn. Nice work Sas. Good to see another 60's VW getting a new life.

I drove a black '66 bug for over 10 years. Last year of the 6 volt, only year of the 1300cc. Still had the "1300" insignia on the rear hood. I learned a ton about cars from driving that thing.

And by "driving" I mean "swearing at while crawling underneath with a flashlight" :wink:

Ah the memories...getting it stuck in 2nd and manually popping it out of gear by sticking a screwdriver through the tranny fill plug...putting it in 3rd and pushing it backwards to unstick the starter motor...using a bottle opener to fix the carb...

I almost miss that car.

danmax
Lux Veteran

Post by danmax » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:57 pm

Sounds like there's some pretty deep VW experience around here. Lots of memories, lots of stories. I remember this one time................

Kurtz
Mouth of Madness

Post by Kurtz » Thu Aug 03, 2006 6:02 pm

...at band camp...

pls
Lux Eldest

Post by pls » Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:13 am

I wish you luck, fun, and longevity with your '67 Bug, Sas.

*Maybe I should have stuck with my '65 even though it was starting to burn oil.

*Maybe I should have converted my '68 Squareback (only new car I ever bought and only one that had a sunroof) to carburetion instead of fuel injection, which gave out at 42,000 miles.

*Maybe I never should have bought the '71 Superbeetle which dropped a valve into the engine and completely trashed it.

They were all fun to drive, but back then I didn't have the expertise to fix anything myself, either with a can opener or real tools, lol. Maybe that's why I converted to MoPars after the Superbeetle and have never looked back ...