New Map: Anglo-Celtic Isles

Lux maps won't make themselves.
SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

New Map: Anglo-Celtic Isles

Post by SunTzu » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:11 pm

Anglo-Celtic Isles

48 Territories, 14 Continents, 6 Cities

Throughout history various civilizations fought over control of the Anglo-Celtic Isles. Will you relive the Roman conquest of Britannia? Will you unite the Anglo-Saxon Kingdoms? Will you experience the Norman conquest of 1066? Will you choose sides in the War of the Roses?

NOTES
I've used a new map-making method to improve the clickability of small islands and peninsulas... check out the Hebrides,

8)

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:27 pm

I've used a new map-making method to improve the clickability of small islands and peninsulas... check out the Hebrides
do tell...!

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:04 pm

SunTzu has used a beautifully simple technique ... switch to one of the default themes and reveal the map polygons underneath the foreground ...

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:28 pm

Technically it is below the overground. You can make a country look smaller by putting overground elements around it, and the click area will still be the full polygon.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:41 pm

Silly me ... I meant overground ...

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:06 pm

Bingo! I originally got the idea from Sir Holo -> http://sillysoft.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=67600#67600

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:08 pm

Anybody willing to share some quick feedback about this map? I've noticed that it's being rated pretty low...

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:36 pm

i think your maps are beautiful suntzu (seriously one of the top mapmakers i think)

Kartofile
Luxer

Post by Kartofile » Tue Aug 22, 2006 3:43 pm

I'm really no judge of maps, but I suppose if I want feedback I should provide feedback. :wink:

I like Anglo-Celtic Isles a lot, as I like all your maps because of the amazing geographic accuracy. If I were going to improve the map, I would pick a definite historical event (e.g. War of the Roses) and add some graphics from that period. From what I can tell, maps centered around a specific historical conflict tend to get higher ratings than those that are just a geographic area. Go figure.

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:27 am

Thanks for the kinds words...

I'm going to try Kartofile's tip with my next map: Russo-Japanese War

I'm also experimenting with country borders... we'll see how it goes.

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:15 am

One suggestion, you have a little bit of France on the map.. You mentioned 1066... I would give that little piece of France some territorial bonus, and incorporate it into the game play. England is so big (the asia of this map) that if you put a small amount of france (say cont bonus 1 or 2) then you could start there, and build into England.

Just an idea.

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:40 pm

I've thought about that, Mike, but I felt it wouldn't fit into the scope of 'Anglo-Celtic' Isles.

I might get around to doing a 1066 map one day though...

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:45 am

:!: Just posting a heads up that I will be updating this map this evening.

I'm usually very hesitant of making gameplay changes to a map during MOTW, but enough people have clamored for a stronger Ireland.

As it stands now, if I just increase the bonuses in Ireland, it becomes too powerful. By adding another connection to the mainland I can make it stronger, but not too strong.

Here are the changes to expect:
  • Carmarthen will no longer connect to Wexfod
  • Carmarthen will connect to Meath
  • Plymouth will connect to Cork
  • Cornwall's bonus will increase to 3
  • Munster's bonus will increase to 2
  • Leinster's bonus will increase to 2
  • Ulster's bonus will increase to 2
  • Connaught's bonus will increase to 2
  • The starting scenario will be random, but each player will start with a city
I will announce the changes in the rooms before updating the map.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:57 pm

I strongly urge you to NOT make these changes. Or at least not make them this week.

People are going to still have the older version, which means there will be 2 wildly different versions being used at once.

MOTW is successful because it selects one map that all players can practice on, and have a fair playing field. It's already Wednesday, and tons of people have been playing Anglo-Celtic Isles. It's proven to be a very popular map as-is. Changing it would punish all the people who started playing it as soon as it became the MOTW, and confuse everyone.

Making significant changes to the MOTW in the middle of the week is a recipe for disaster.

Additionally, it is my personal opinion that the changes you list would make the worse. I like that there are some lower bonus areas in Ireland. It gives some variety to the map. However, the map is yours to update as you like. I urge you to wait until after its MOTW period has ended though.

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:04 pm

dustin wrote:People are going to still have the older version, which means there will be 2 wildly different versions being used at once.
Is there anyway to work around this?

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:17 pm

You can't force people to update the map they have on their computer.

If you're hosting with the new version then everyone who joins your host will have it. I mean that other people will probably still host with the old version.

Further, if you're updating the theme, I recommend you actually upload a new theme with a different name, and switch the map file to use it. Otherwise it's possible for the new map to show the old theme.

Again, I urge you to not update it this week. People love it as-is. It's a great map. Messing with it now will only cause trouble.

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:49 am

Okay... the updates won't be posted until after MOTW.

For those of you that can't wait until next week, just PM me and I'll email you the new version.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Thu Sep 21, 2006 4:51 pm

Thinking about it a little more, what do you think about uploading it as 'Anglo-Celtic Isles 2' or something? Leave the original one in there, but also put in your new one.

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:12 am

I'm going to release the update as Celtic-Anglo Isles, but not until next week because of the 1 map/week rule.

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:24 pm

Celtic-Anglo Isles has now been added.