BETA Map: Great Britain and Eire-Part Deux

Lux maps won't make themselves.
enjoymoreradio
Lux Addict

BETA Map: Great Britain and Eire-Part Deux

Post by enjoymoreradio » Tue May 29, 2007 10:04 am

First off, to get this out of the way, the PM I got with permission from Preacherman:

Preacherman's Great Britain & Eire map, redone. Adds a new country, the Isle of Man, which is its own continent and creates the continent of Cornwall. Keeps bonuses relatively low. Enjoy.

Thanks to Preacherman for the GB+E map to work with.

Screenshots:

EDIT: Map will be released next week, when my release limit expires.

Kartofile
Luxer

Post by Kartofile » Tue May 29, 2007 9:09 pm

Hi there! Unfortunately, only MFG members should make requests with "MFG" in the title:
How MFG Works wrote:Only members ... should make requests with "MFG" in the title.
To tell you the truth, MFG hasn't seemed to be working quite so well lately, but you're welcome to sign up and breathe some new life into it. :D

(BTW, if no one is interested in doing MFG anymore, we could ask Dustin to take down the sticky... Thoughts, anyone?)

Still, your map seems like fun and I can't wait to try it out. I think the Isle of Man and Cornwall will be interesting additions to Preacherman's map, which is one of my favorites. Personally, if I could change one thing, I'd like to see England (and perhaps Ireland) broken up into more regions, so as to make it even more different from the original. Other people would probably disagree though.

In any case I look forward to seeing this map in the PM. Thanks for sharing it. :D

Sylocat
Lux Veteran

Post by Sylocat » Tue May 29, 2007 9:36 pm

I know I'm still interested in the MFG.

Incidentally, I can't find this one in the plugin manager, so even if you do join I'll have to wait until it is.

I know we could always use more members.

enjoymoreradio
Lux Addict

Post by enjoymoreradio » Wed May 30, 2007 8:58 am

Sylo, this map is not in the PM because of my recent release of Washington Metro. Expect a release next week.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Wed May 30, 2007 9:19 am

It's kinda hard to respond to a map without being able to play it. But it looks like it would be good.

Also, it's highly advisable that you finish your current map that is in BETA before uploading a second. Unless you want to be scolded by the mapLAB. :P

Kartofile wrote:To tell you the truth, MFG hasn't seemed to be working quite so well lately
Why do you say that? It seems to be working fine to me, there just hasn't been a whole lot of requests lately. But I don't take that as a sign of it's failing.

MB

enjoymoreradio
Lux Addict

Post by enjoymoreradio » Wed May 30, 2007 10:28 am

I'd be done with my BETA of WM, but I need to change the country sizes. They need to be enlarged, because, if you've played it, you'll notice that the split stations are nearly impossible to click on.

Is there any simple way to double the country sizes, instead of going through the code and doubling the coordinates in the polygons?

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Wed May 30, 2007 10:31 am

enjoymoreradio wrote:I'd be done with my BETA of WM, but I need to change the country sizes. They need to be enlarged, because, if you've played it, you'll notice that the split stations are nearly impossible to click on.
I have and I do agree.

If you'd like we can clear WM map from the plugin manager while you work on it more (it will probably take a lot of work). That way you can upload this Great Britain map instead.

MB

enjoymoreradio
Lux Addict

Post by enjoymoreradio » Wed May 30, 2007 11:50 am

That would be great. Thanks a lot.

Kartofile
Luxer

Post by Kartofile » Wed May 30, 2007 12:20 pm

Thanks Sylo & MB. Well, the last request was Equary's "Foam Bunker" two weeks ago. So far it has had only two MFG responses. Equary's "Elements" request was posted over three weeks ago and still there have been only two MFG responses. Requests for "Land of Oz" and "Stock Market" are both nearly a month old and yet have had only three MFG responses each. So perhaps MFG isn't failing, but it definitely seems to have slipped somewhat.
enjoymoreradio wrote:Is there any simple way to double the country sizes, instead of going through the code and doubling the coordinates in the polygons?
I don't know any easy way to double the polygon sizes on the Metro map. But will you have room for bigger polygons? It seems like they are already packed closely together in a lot of places. That will be tricky, even if it's just the split stations...

enjoymoreradio
Lux Addict

Post by enjoymoreradio » Thu May 31, 2007 9:45 am

Kartofile: I would be doubling the size of the map, including the theme, as well, so the larger polygons wouldn't matter.

By the way, GBEPD is up on the PM as a BETA Map.

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Thu May 31, 2007 10:16 am

EMR -

I just remembered that Lux has a feature that can resize a map for you. If you open your existing map, then go to the Map menu, you should see an option for "resize map". Double both existing values, then from the same menu choose "Save resized map". That should get you a doubled map file, and that may even save the resized theme images as well...

RG

enjoymoreradio
Lux Addict

Post by enjoymoreradio » Thu May 31, 2007 12:58 pm

Thanks a lot RandomGuy. That fixed the problem, making it much easier to use. It'll be uploaded in a week.

Kartofile
Luxer

Post by Kartofile » Thu May 31, 2007 4:50 pm

enjoymoreradio wrote:I would be doubling the size of the map, including the theme, as well, so the larger polygons wouldn't matter.
Ah, that makes sense. I understand now.

BTW, I just played GBEPD and enjoyed it. A couple of random suggestions:
  • - Eire, Wales and England have become harder to defend than they were originally. Some people might like the extra challenge but it was really hard for me. :?

- I would change the army graphics to "None" to make the small territories easier to see.

- Personally, I would add the Hebrides. I actually updated my version of GBE to include six additional countries: Lewis+Harris, The Uists, Skye, Mull, Jura+Islay and Arran:

To me, Scotland just looks naked without those islands... :oops:
Seriously though, I think it's great. :D I'm looking forward to seeing more maps from you, EMR.

enjoymoreradio
Lux Addict

Post by enjoymoreradio » Thu May 31, 2007 4:57 pm

I've considered boosting the continent value on Wales considering that nearly every country in it is a border, but I'll wait a little bit to do that.

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:17 am

If you try to make Wales your home continent then you'll wind up dead anyway since it's in the crossroads of the whole map, I don't think it's value will matter at all.

I liked the map a lot, very fun.

Well done Quail (enjoymoreradio)

Sylocat
Lux Veteran

Post by Sylocat » Sat Jun 02, 2007 2:51 pm

All right, in hopes of getting a little more feedback on Cluxdo, I'll jump back on the wagon and give my MFG responses to the 4 backlogged cases, Elements, Land of Oz, Foam Bunker and Stock Market.