New Map Generators: Terrorism and TerrorismOps

Lux maps won't make themselves.
RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

New Map Generators: Terrorism and TerrorismOps

Post by RandomGuy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 8:56 am

Terrorism takes an existing map file and generates hidden terrorist connections between countries. It creates one-way connections between countries, representing foreign terror cells operating within another country's borders.

Like Biohazard, this currently is set to work with Classic and Deux. The map "size" determines the number of terror cells active.

TerrorismOps is the same as Terrorism, with added grenade icons to indicate which countries are the terrorist countries. Targets remain hidden.

Edit: to describe the two split generators, instead of the single one. Thanks to everyone for the feedback on marking terrorist nations.
Last edited by RandomGuy on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Black Pope
Lux Exorcist

Post by Black Pope » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:01 am

Seriously, I think this is one of the coolest ideas I've seen here yet. Personally, I think that it would be more challenging (realistic) if you found the connection by trial and error.
However, as a warning, this could lead to invading Iraq when you meant to invade Iran...not that such a thing EVER happens in real life...

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:59 am

Very cool RG! Once again you've managed to reinvent the Classic map.

To answer your question. I don't think I would like the target countries to be labeled, as BP said, that's part of the fun. But it would be nice to see the terrorist countries labeled, I'd vote for that.

Also, does each terrorist country only have 1 extra connection or can they have multiple?

MB

SunTzu
Lux Cartographer

Post by SunTzu » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:02 am

Awesome job RandomGuy!

I agree with the macho mod, don't add icons. There will always be maps where bots have an advantage. Anyone remember Fullerenes?

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:16 am

mbauer wrote:Also, does each terrorist country only have 1 extra connection or can they have multiple?
The countries are chosen at random, so it is possible for the same country to be selected twice. It could also happen that the target of one terrorist cell is the source of another or that two terrorist countries link to each other (although that is very unlikely)

GregM
Luxer

Re: New Map Generator: TerrorismLux

Post by GregM » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:45 pm

RandomGuy wrote:I could add an icon to either the terrorist countries, the target countries or both - which would level the playing field for offline play, but would give the host an advantage in network play.
I believe if you make the icon using <line> tags it will be visible both to the host and remote players.

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:47 pm

you're right. Because the line tags are sent as part of the map file, instead of the theme. It would simplify what I could do as a terrorist "icon" but would be available for both. Thanks for reminding me of that.

Cuarto
Lux Wunderkind

Post by Cuarto » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:06 pm

random guy, youre my hero. i think this should be an motw map and a sillysoft host, like biohazard (and both randomguys)

creative genius, man. creative genius.

Cuarto
Lux Wunderkind

Post by Cuarto » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:10 pm

let us know when its available for download!

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:26 pm

it is available now in Beta - I'd like to get some more feedback on whether to "mark" terrorist countries before releasing.

blackj3sus
Lux Messiah

Post by blackj3sus » Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:56 pm

maybe after an attack has been launched from a cell that territory gets a special icon... so u can't be surprised from there again

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:24 pm

blackj3sus wrote:maybe after an attack has been launched from a cell that territory gets a special icon... so u can't be surprised from there again
Cool idea, but unfortunately, that isn't currently possible. Once the map is generated, it can't be modified mid-game. And modifying either the map or the theme would be required to "add" an icon after certain events.

Cuarto
Lux Wunderkind

Post by Cuarto » Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:35 pm

RandomGuy wrote:it is available now in Beta - I'd like to get some more feedback on whether to "mark" terrorist countries before releasing.
i think you should mark it. i would prefer to be able to plan around it from the beginning than from whenever I learn where it is. because these situations will be unique, i would much rather be able to plan from the beginning because completely new strategies will have to be devised for certain circumstances.

Bertrand
Reaper Creator

Post by Bertrand » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:25 pm

RandomGuy wrote: ... currently the bots are very tough on this map ...
And that's a good thing, right? Poor little bots need all the help they can get.

Great job. I would not label anything. Terrorism implies fear: an attack can come anytime, from anywhere.

The Archer
Luxer

Post by The Archer » Fri Aug 31, 2007 3:30 am

Is there a way to be able to play both Biohazard AND TerrorismLux at the same time.?

trinkett
lux counsellor

Post by trinkett » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:11 pm

sounds brilliant

it would create even more anger than bio hazard

/me loves it

Black Pope
Lux Exorcist

Post by Black Pope » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:16 pm

He Who Is the creator of Reaper, the majestic and beautiful, drew from the plentiful well of his infinite wisdom and wrote:
Great job. I would not label anything. Terrorism implies fear: an attack can come anytime, from anywhere.
I agree 100% here: I think the precarious nature of it is what will make it so fun.
Would it be possible to show some color connection when links are found? For example, if China was connected to Brazil by a terrorist connection, would it be possible that the first time someone owns both China and Brazil to have the two countries turn a noticable color?

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:05 pm

unfortunately, those types of mid-game changes aren't currently possible. The map is a static thing, so from the beginning of the game until the end, it has to stay the same - so any symbols, colors, etc. are fixed, just like connections, countries and continents.

I've created a second version that gives players the options to mark terrorist countries (but not their targets), as well as leaving the option to play completely blind. I think that one is in the review process and should be available soon.

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:43 am

Hey, look. Terrorism is the Map of the Week!? It really does sneak up on you, eh? Part of a series of Luxtober surprises maybe?

RandomGuy
Lux Veteran

Post by RandomGuy » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:16 am

Cool. FYI - there are two versions of this generator. Terrorism is what is described in the initial post - varying amount of hidden connections on the classic of deux map. TerrorismOps adds a grenade icon to all "terrorist" countries (for those who want a level playing field with the bots, or just more info in the game). Their targets are not revealed, but you will know which spots have some extra connections.

A terrorist country can have more than one terror cell (outgoing extra connection).
A terrorist target can itself be a terrorist country.
It is possible for two terrorist countries to target each other.
No other changes are made to the map or its connections
All terrorist links are links that don't currently exist (no duplicates to already existing connections)
When you own a terrorist country, you will have to determine where it links by whether the red arrow shows up during attack or fortify, and where it is pointing (direction and distance from your country should help).

Comments or feedback appreciated!

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Mon Oct 08, 2007 2:45 am

Wazoo, the surprise MOTW for this next week is TerrorismOps. It's like Terrorism, but you can see where the secret links start. Fun fun fun...