Peloponnesian War

Lux maps won't make themselves.
Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Peloponnesian War

Post by Enokrad » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:33 pm

Final version of Peloponnesian War is out

any comments or suggestions would be appreciated :)

In 431 BC the Peloponnesian League, led by Sparta launched repeated invasions of Attica, while Athens took advantage of its naval supremacy to raid the coast of the Peloponnese attempting to suppress signs of unrest in its empire. After 27 years of battle the Athenians, deprived of their naval supremacy with the destruction of the entire force, surrender and was reduced to a state of near-complete subjection, while Sparta was established as the leading power of Greece. The economic costs of the war were felt all across Greece; poverty became widespread in the Peloponnese, while Athens found itself completely devastated, and never regained its pre-war prosperity. The war also wrought subtler changes to Greek society; the conflict between Democratic Athens and oligarchic Sparta, each of which supported friendly political factions within other states, made civil war a common occurrence in the Greek world. The Peloponnesian War marked the dramatic end to the fifth-century-B.C. golden age of Greece.

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:18 am

Damn that looks awesome! I was working on one as well, and boy does yours put it to shame. Excellent job.

Mike
Lux Townie

Post by Mike » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:59 am

Looks like a winner - I will have to play this one.

Wizargond
Luxer

Post by Wizargond » Thu Nov 20, 2008 2:56 pm

Damn ! I really like the map. First, it is awesome. Then it is really fun to play. I hope you'll make more maps in this style. Bravo!

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:28 pm

thanks everyone :)

Digital Jihad
MOTW Master

Post by Digital Jihad » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:32 am

After playing this all week here is my feedback for the map:

Argolis should have a higher income. Consider that Laconia has 3 borders and5 income while Argolis has 5 borders and 4 income.

All the cities should provide 2 income. Sparta and Athens are no more difficult to hold than Patrae and Argos. In fact they are adjacent to the highest income conts and this leads to the people starting with those cities to almost always win the game. I understand from a historical perspective those were the dominant powers but from a gameplay perspective it is very unbalancing.

This map, for me anyway, has to be played placed to be enjoyable. On random 2 players are almost always eliminated for all intents in round 1 by their start which is fairly brutal.

Enokrad
Dark Spawn

Post by Enokrad » Thu Dec 18, 2008 2:45 am

I based their incomes depending on their actual military strength at the time really.

the only continent prob should have a little larger income should have been Corinth due to its strategic location.

i'll see if any changes have to be made right after it's taken off from motw.

CyNd3r
Omega Virtuist

Post by CyNd3r » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:48 pm

thats a sweet idea dude.. basing it off of the actual Army strength there.. nice

Wizargond
Luxer

Post by Wizargond » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:55 pm

Indeed, very nice idea !

I even prefer that a lot more to Digital's suggestions... :) Sorry Digi. 8)

I think a map, for anyone who plays it, has more identity by being what it is intended to be, like in this case, an historic context. However, I understand that for the MOTW context, it might not be best fitting for some players...

But I hope you do more like this in the future, Enokrad! Nice work. :D

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:24 am

This is a good map to play with Scenario Settings, where you can play it within its historical context.

MOTW is another story altogether