Moderators

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Moderators

Post by Lupus ferox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:10 pm

deleted
Last edited by Lupus ferox on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous
Location: Habitual board flippers should have their dice taken away.

Re: Moderators

Post by WhirlPlaid » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:42 pm

Lupus ferox wrote:Maybe it has been described somewhere before. I couldn't find it.

A few question about moderators.

-How to become a moderator?
Typically, existing Mods discuss possible candidates and then dustin has the final say.

-Are moderators allowed to play and host games?
This in my opinion is a silly question, take a look at the game tracker, yes, Mods can host and play.

-Who moderates moderators?
This is a good question, the Mods and dustin moderate the moderators (unfortunately this can be a slow process).

-Is there a yearly evaluation of moderators skills?
There is no regimented evaluation, only peer input.

-Are cases known in which moderators misused their moderator privileges?
There have been cases where Mods have been reprimanded.

-What has happened to them?
Some have stepped down of their own free will.

-Is there a limit to the shelf life of a moderator?
No.

-What if a moderator becomes too dominant in games and forums?
We would leave that up to the community, Mods and dustin.
Last edited by WhirlPlaid on Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Post by Lupus ferox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:06 pm

deleted
Last edited by Lupus ferox on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:08 pm

I suggest you send dustin a PM with your thoughts and concerns.

Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Post by Lupus ferox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:16 pm

deleted

*Manimal
Lux Cutie Pet

Post by *Manimal » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:31 pm

Lupus ferox wrote:
How to organize that? Start a poll? Or is there a "rate the moderater" page somewhere?

It would be a farce to consider this to be purely hypothetical. Everyone is aware of your inflection, and such a post should have been asked in PM instead.

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Mon Feb 27, 2012 1:33 pm

brawp brawp

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:26 pm

*Manimal wrote:such a post should have been asked in PM instead.
I disagree. While the true motives for making the post are.... questionable, I think that the community as a whole should know this. The whole forum community should understand the promotion and possible demotion processes.

Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Post by Lupus ferox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:24 pm

deleted

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:35 pm

(With all due respect, I do not believe that this thread was posted for "unspecific" reasons.)

As many moderators have said throughout the years, long before I was asked to join their ranks: "Lux isn't a democracy." There isn't any "public control" of moderators, nor will there be. Again, if any Luxer has feedback regarding the Mod Squad, positive or negative, please do not hesitate to send dustin a private message or email with your thoughts. That is how you can "rate" your moderators, but ultimately, who dustin wants moderating this community, in games and in these forums, is his decision alone.

Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Post by Lupus ferox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:38 pm

deleted
Last edited by Lupus ferox on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:31 pm

I would like to make a point or two here.

The moderators are policed by the community, Dustin, and themselves. While we try to put up a united front for the Lux Community, we are a diverse group who have some interesting discussions when there is disagreement.

I will use myself as an example of maybe not misusing my moderating powers but being challenged on a decision I made.

A couple of years ago, I suspended a player for teaming because he made an alliance with another player until three out of four of the other players were no longer around (the cool till three pact). I think I was probably the only person to think this was teaming (I was the only moderator to think this). While nothing was done to me, the suspension and record of suspension were deleted.

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:57 pm

Thank god the whole "Cool" thing has run its course. The "Cool Debates" were a giant mess. One day, someone with great respect and influence would convince me that it was teaming..... and the next day another behemoth of influence would convince we that it wasn't teaming and it was just a part of the game and the game's diplomacy. :?

Lupus ferox
Creator of Maps

Post by Lupus ferox » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:10 pm

deleted
Last edited by Lupus ferox on Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Lantern
Lux Superhero

Post by Lantern » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:24 pm

Hi lupus,

You and I have had minimal if any interaction over the years but I would like to respond to your post. First I would like to add my thoughts to what Whirl has already responded to clearly. You see we all have different perspectives and I would like to add mine.
WhirlPlaid wrote:
Lupus ferox wrote:Maybe it has been described somewhere before. I couldn't find it.

A few question about moderators.

-How to become a moderator?
Typically, existing Mods discuss possible candidates and then dustin has the final say.
When we are discussing possible candidates we look at the contributions they have made to lux and what strengths they will contribute to the group. We also think about how they are viewed by Luxers collectively knowing that not everyone will agree with the decision but hopefully the vast majority will view the promotion in a positive light

-Are moderators allowed to play and host games?
This in my opinion is a silly question, take a look at the game tracker, yes, Mods can host and play.

-Who moderates moderators?
This is a good question, the Mods and dustin moderate the moderators (unfortunately this can be a slow process).
I would say that the moderators don't necessarily need moderation and are given freedom to act on our own when the situation warrants. However, when there are challenging problems or difficult decisions to make we all typically discuss it and try to make the best possible decision.dustin of course is the final say if his input is needed.

-Is there a yearly evaluation of moderators skills?
There is no regimented evaluation, only peer input.
Nor do I feel there needs to be. We have been chosen due to our long history of contributions to lux and as non-paid stewarts of trying to keep lux a vibrant and safe environment. A yearly review like you may receive in a job would serve no purpose here in my opinion. Being promoted to be a moderator is not taken lightly and is some what of a reward(or a curse sometimes)

-Are cases known in which moderators misused their moderator privileges?
There have been cases where Mods have been reprimanded.

-What has happened to them?
Some have stepped down of their own free will.

-Is there a limit to the shelf life of a moderator?
No.

Lupus ferox wrote:
With this subject I hope to show that moderators can be questioned like normal players. And that this doesn't result in banning...

To me the current situation is often so harsh/aggressive that I'm afraid that this however will occur....

LF
Well I do disagree with this statement. What makes you feel that your current forum interactions would even remotely result in a ban? You are always encouraged to give/defend your opinions. You have never been banned or had your forum privileges taken away from you in the past and you are in no danger of it occurring now.

We do suggest that PM's are used appropriately and that if you have issue with another player/mod that you use that route to solve your differences rather than posting a thread that can be perceived as something that should have been sent via PM. That is why many posts do get locked. I know you have suggested this gets locked however I feel that this thread should remain open. Locking a thread discussing mod responsibilities is sure to be seen as an abuse of our power.

Also, when discussing the abuse of power we only have limited abilities that regular players do not have.

They include:

Restarting games
Megamuting misbehaving players who use excessive foul language
Booting players
Banning players for a certain length of time based on the of offense and number of offenses. (this is the one area where the banned player does not always agree with the moderator but the rules are clearly available and the vast majority of bans point to the reason why they are banned- to promote open and honest communication. Players are welcome to discuss their ban with the moderator that banned them)
Locking threads in the forum
Deleting posts
Stickying threads
Spiltting threads

I would hazard to say that it is difficult to actually abuse these powers and If there is a perception of that occurring it would be brought up in the mod lounge for discussion like this has been.

Trust me if you feel the mod lounge is all hugs and good feelings it is not. We are 7 opinionated individuals that do have differing perspectives and we do not always agree. That however is also our strength and part of the reason we were chosen.

This is not a paid job. We do it because we love LUX and want this community to thrive with the contributions of all of you. While we are in this volunteer position, we can only hope to do what we can to further that goal.

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:44 pm

This is in fact Dustin's Sandbox, and the Moderators he <s>employs</s> suckers-into-volunteering-for-him are here for one reason only: To ensure that Lux runs smoothly, and that the rules that Dustin wants enforced are enforced. Dustin could care less about having his Moderators dispensing Solomonic Wisdom with the patience of Buddha to boot. These <s>idiots</s> Moderators are VOLUNTEERS who do so because they love Lux and its community

OK, let's call a spade a spade here:

ParanormalRadio is not going to win Ms. Congeniality Lux 2012.

para can be a rude, curmudgeonly, patronizing, supercilious bastard. He can....whoops, getting off topic here :lol:

No matter what else you say about him, I've yet to meet someone who's invested so much time and effort into improving this community, by ensuring hosts with decent settings are (almost) always up, by doing levels of esoteric data-mining that would make Kabbalists throw their hands in the air and join a monastery, by hosting events with a dedication and zeal that sometimes strikes me as borderline obsessive, and sometimes I worry about the state of his mental health :wink:

Was he obnoxious to you? Yes.

Was he wrong about his posts? . . . . maybe partly.... He was right in saying that humongous maps don't work well with the AI of the bots, and that suggesting major overhauls to Lux are non-starters in terms of conversations--Similar radical changes have been requested before, and had the OP searched the forums he would have come across a few threads that dealt with that half of the issue. The real discussion ended after the community responded to the OP that (1) Changes to the Lux Engine are not happening and (2) If someone wants to build a humongous map, go for it. If a moderator felt that the conversation could go no where positive from that point on, there's no real problem with locking it.

Was it fair to say "the community doesn't want large maps"? That's the only part I could take issue with. Considering that the vast majority of luxxers NEVER GO ONLINE WITH IT, there may be a subset of players out there who want to go click-happy with a slow sluggish march across a land war in Asia, and who knows, may be there's a bunch of drunken college kids somewhere spending all-niters playing Extreme Britain... And really, it doesn't matter whether it's true or not, but a NICER person wouldn't have stuck that dig into his post regardless.

However, declaring that it's bullshit when someone points out that similar requests have been made in years past, and that Dustin has shown no interest in accommodating those requests is stirring the pot. In the end, para nor any of the other Mods have any real say in what Dustin will or will not do--If Dustin wanted to add terrain bonus's, he would have posted so. If you felt strongly about it, the correct procedure is to PM Dustin with your idea, and wait for a response. Railing against a moderator who spends most of his time deleting Spam, and resisting the urge to delete clown posts, is just not helpful.

Remember, the mods are VOLUNTEERS and they are only human. But while he may be a little rough around the edges, I can't see how there was any abuse of his powers here, and a veiled implication otherwise is stirring the pot.

Unrelated: I LIKE your maps, Lupus.... Keep at 'em.

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous

Post by WhirlPlaid » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:11 am

:smt023

Thank you n00less.

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:00 pm

Last edited by dollabillz on Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nimrod7
Clown Prince

Post by nimrod7 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:04 pm

n00less cluebie wrote:If Dustin wanted to add terrain bonus's, he would have posted so. If you felt strongly about it, the correct procedure is to PM Dustin with your idea, and wait for a response.
coughFeaturesForumcough

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor
Location: At the Official Clown Reference Librarian Desk--'All the answers you weren't looking for.'

Post by n00less cluebie » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:21 pm

Nimrod7 wrote:
n00less cluebie wrote:If Dustin wanted to add terrain bonus's, he would have posted so. If you felt strongly about it, the correct procedure is to PM Dustin with your idea, and wait for a response.
coughFeaturesForumcough
cough2008cough

Kude
omni member

Post by Kude » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:40 pm

so, here's a question... mods can edit and delete posts, but is it possible to undelete them?

paranoiarodeo
Semiholy Exile

Post by paranoiarodeo » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:42 pm

kude wrote:... is it possible to undelete them?
No.

(Mazza. Mafia. Enough said.)

WhirlPlaid
miSKAlaneous

Post by WhirlPlaid » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:47 pm

paranoiarodeo wrote:
No.

:smt044 :smt044 :smt044

Rhye
Lux Crooner

Post by Rhye » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:43 pm

paranoiarodeo wrote:
No.

:smt033

Mushy Peas
Luxer

Post by Mushy Peas » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:02 am

I wish Rellek were here to overuse his modstick before self-flagellating in a fit of sexual abandon.

n00less cluebie
Lux Cantor

Post by n00less cluebie » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:51 am

paranoiarodeo wrote:
No.

Never enough said about Mafia XX: ALL-STAR F@#$FEST.

Mazza was just trying to (1) edit his original thread, (2) delete his edited thread and (3) . . . ummm the EPA?

GFips
Lux Moderator
Lux Moderator

Post by GFips » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:15 pm

Lantern wrote: They include:
Restarting games
Megamuting misbehaving players who use excessive foul language
Booting players
Banning players for a certain length of time based on the of offense and number of offenses. (this is the one area where the banned player does not always agree with the moderator but the rules are clearly available and the vast majority of bans point to the reason why they are banned- to promote open and honest communication. Players are welcome to discuss their ban with the moderator that banned them)
Locking threads in the forum
Deleting posts
Stickying threads
Spiltting threads
Hey lantern,

thanks for the nice sumup. I don't know if Lupus Ferox had some special intentions, but independend of that i find all those infos quite interesting.
Most Luxers see you mods as all-knowing and all-mighty. So it is good to know what rights you really have (although i am not fully sure if Para was not even able to do these things even without his mod stick ;-) Anything he could not hack if he wants? and maybe that is what some luxers really fear ...)

But i think you all forgot to mention one major job of the mods to : you mods should act as a role model and i think their job should also be to help especially newbies in all kinds of problems, and for sure also old schoolers to solve their lux problems, to bury their hatches after getting heatet, and and and. You are the first adress to be contacted if people have some kind of problems. I know you all are volunteers - so thank you all very much for the time and effort you spend to help this game being great fun and a more or less (please no otrher discussion) fair and nice community with one common aim: having great lux games (and not side battles).

In my oppinion you are (gladly) all humans and so everyone (even mods) can do faults and thats good so. The difference is, that a mod should admit if he makes an fault and i think then everybody of us can handle this. So i have great respect, that you, Nimmy took back that ban you were talking about in the forum post although you personally had a different oppinion.

Sometimes it might be confusing as there are often no clear rules and some people feel they get treated harder than others ... and so they state that the mods are too powerful.

I personally think you all do a great job and i personally never had any problems (yet ;-)) with a mod. And if someone has a problem with one mod, i am sure he can always contact dustin or the other mods to talk about his concerns. The forum should be the last way as long as things can be solved by pm.

Just my two Cents.

/me still waiting to be the first ban of TSK!
Last edited by GFips on Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Silken Knot
Lux Tiki Drinker

Post by The Silken Knot » Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:46 pm

:D
Thanks for your two cents, GFips!

Lantern listed the 'mechanics' of modding for everyone's benefit, but of course what you've mentioned are probably the most important aspects of the moderators' role... helping solve problems or answering questions and keeping the games and the community as fair and fun for everyone as possible. While Lux may not be a democracy (TSK winks at dustin), everyone here has the ability to participate and contribute to that goal on some level... and many Luxers care enough to do so. That is a big part of what makes this place special. In my opinion.

P.S.- Sorry, but I doubt I'll be banning you in the foreseeable future... :wink:

Baden
Lux Elder

Post by Baden » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:30 pm

My one and only association and imagination concerning the topic fired in addition by Paras avatar.

dollabillz
Disinterested Hipster

Post by dollabillz » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:54 pm

hahahahaha