October 29th - LUXTOBERFEST - Tournament of Champions

Game of universal domination. New dice available free upon request.
Preacherman
Semiholy Priest
Location: Sweden (capital of Denmark, an island in Norway, southern Europe)

October 29th - LUXTOBERFEST - Tournament of Champions

Post by Preacherman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:14 pm

Saturday October 29th, Tournament of Champions!!

8 PM GMT / 4 PM Eastern / 1 PM Pacific

TOC will consist of 4 consecutive games played by the 6 highest seeded Top 10 players (as of the above time) who turn up. In other words the top 6 seeds are guaranteed spots, the next 4 are eligible only in the case of no-shows by the top 6. Lest I be ridiculed amongst my hosting peers I will also be using the standard TOC point settings, which I won't bother repeating here.

I'm open to suggestions for the map, card/continent settings and timers. Personally I'd like to stick the much neglected random map generator on 'huge' and see what happens, but I'll bend to public opinion.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"BUT WHAT ABOUT ME?!?!" I hear you cry..."I'm not top 10 material, but I'm still ranked a not-too-shabby 11th-20th, and I want a final shot at a Luxtoberfest medal too!!". Fear not - directly after the good players have finished playing, the Semi-Holy Church Of Lux will be hosting the first ever Tournament of Champignons!!

Saturday October 29th, Tournament of Champignons!!

This TOC will consist of 4 consecutive games played by the 6 highest seeded 11-20 players (as of the above time) who turn up. No Top 10 players are eligible. In other words seeds 11-16 are guaranteed spots, seeds 17-20 are eligible only in the case of no-shows by the 11-16. Again, standard TOC point settings are the order of the day, and I'm open to suggestions for the map (unless MB/El T can knock up a mushroom map before Saturday), card/continent settings and timers.

The following never before seen medals are up for grabs for the top 3 :

Image Image Image

What better way to say "I'm merely adequate, and I have the shroom to prove it"?

This message has been brought to you by the semi-holy Church of Lux. The views in this message and the Tournament of Champignons are not endorsed in any way by the management of Lux, and for all I know Quasar will refuse to use the holy shroom medals. Don't make me smite you with a plague. brb coffee©, fig®, duck® and Lincoln™ are copyright Church of Lux. All rights reserved. Shaddup Kef.

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Re: October 29th - LUXTOBERFEST - Tournament of Champions

Post by AquaRegia » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:47 pm

Preacherman wrote:...I'd like to stick the much neglected random map generator on 'huge' and see what happens...
1) I've been meaning to ask about this for months. When I use the random map generator on "huge", I get a random map with about 20 countries. Whose idea of "huge" is this? Classic is 42!

Is my random map generator broken?

2) Will the games be ranked?

3) Will there be a "Tournament of Champaroons" for 21-30? Oh, never mind - I'm seeded 32, and I probably won't be able to make it any way. :wink:

microtonal
spaghetti lover

Post by microtonal » Tue Oct 25, 2005 2:50 pm

so, let's say you're ranked tenth in the seeding, (as i am) and seeds 1-2-3-4-6-7 show up. obviously, they'll play at the top level... but as my seed isn't 11-20, i can't play in the second level either?
i don't want to get lost in the shuffle!
please explain/help...

edit: seems that a certain chunk of seeds (7-8-9-10) is in a position to get screwed, if only the 1-2-3-4-5-6 and 11-12-13-14-15-16 seeds are certain to get spots in their respective tournaments...
if there was only one TOC, it would stand to reason that the six highest seeded players would play, but with two divisions, why not just a second batch of the next six highest seeded players?

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest

Post by Preacherman » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:57 pm

AquaRegia wrote:Is my random map generator broken?
No it isn't, and I quite agree - huge should mean huge. I wonder if Quasar can fix a random 40-60 country generator by Saturday?
AquaRegia wrote:Will the games be ranked?
Nope, unless all 6 players agree otherwise which I can't see happening.
microtonal wrote:i don't want to get lost in the shuffle!
Good point...let's say that any top 20 players who haven't played in the Tournament of Champions are eligible for the Tournament of Champignons then, in order of seed.

hoodie
Burning Man

Post by hoodie » Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:58 pm

/me votes for top 25

:)

jOnNiE
Lux Hasselhoff

Post by jOnNiE » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:24 pm

lol as long as i can participate, I am good to go

dustin
Lux Creator
Lux Creator

Post by dustin » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:16 pm

Just to note, in the first TOC we got these seeds: 1,3,5,7,9,10.

In the second round we got seeds: 11,14,19,33,39,66. This second round wasn't advertised much beforehand, which could explain the absence of seeds 20+.

nietzsche
Lux Magician

Post by nietzsche » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:21 pm

for myself this is an anti-social time (5am sunday morning). I am seeded 10. I would get up if I could at least be guaranteed a game in the champignons game after the TOC...

... no matter, I think Microtonal raised this for me.

microtonal
spaghetti lover

get your own seed

Post by microtonal » Tue Oct 25, 2005 7:28 pm

nietzsche, you're 9
i'm 10.

nietzsche
Lux Magician

Post by nietzsche » Tue Oct 25, 2005 8:53 pm

Microtonal wrote:
nietzsche, you're 9
i'm 10.
similar records too...

Microtonal wins - 205; games - 799; win% - 25.66
Nietzsche wins - 201; games - 790; win% - 25.44

microtonal
spaghetti lover

Post by microtonal » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:05 pm

i tried to tell you we were long lost brothers, once, nietzsche, but you didn't believe me...

jOnNiE
Lux Hasselhoff

Post by jOnNiE » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:12 pm

So for this TOC we dont have to sign up earlier? Just show up right??

Fane
Goldenballer

What about me...

Post by Fane » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:29 am

I prolly am unable to come online at 8GMT. But i am able at 8.15 GMT. So if someone lower on the seeding rankings is there, will you guys already start? Can i make the game at 8.15???

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest

Post by Preacherman » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:05 am

nietzsche wrote:I am seeded 10. I would get up if I could at least be guaranteed a game in the champignons game after the TOC...
With that ranking, you are guaranteed a spot in the Champignons tournament, which I can't see starting before 6am your time at the earliest...
jOnNiE wrote:So for this TOC we dont have to sign up earlier? Just show up right??
Yeah, pretty much - although it's always nice to know in advance of your intention to show, so that a spot can be held for you as long as possible.
Fane wrote:Can i make the game at 8.15???
We may not have started by then, what with waiting for stragglers, getting the setup done, etc...so you might get lucky. Otherwise, there's always the next 3 games.

smedz
Lux Scotsman

Post by smedz » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:16 am

i guess that all but GM of the top 6 will make it and ill be there so that should be 1,2,3,4,5 & 7

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:32 am

Preacherman wrote:I wonder if Quasar can fix a random 40-60 country generator by Saturday?
Screw 40-60; that's MEDIUM in my book. You, of all people, should appreciate that - how many does Hex have? HUGE should be at least 100. I think I'll post it in the Feature Request forum.

Although, on second thought, with so many people making maps these days, maybe we don't really need a random generator any more.
Preacherman wrote:
AquaRegia wrote:Will the games be ranked?
Nope, unless all 6 players agree otherwise which I can't see happening.
I don't see why not - most of them only like to play ranked games with other 1500+ players anyway. I'd think this would be a golden opportunity to play some perfect raw whore games. :wink:

microtonal
spaghetti lover

Post by microtonal » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:38 am

but aqua, you forget, we raw whores like to play on one or two maps that we know and love, and would probably be reluctant to stake our precious raw on a dance around one of those honey-combed boards that some of you other luxers seem to enjoy...
:wink:

edit: love the shrooms, preacherman. i almost want to play in the B division just to shoot for one of them!

One Big Wave
Lux Emo Star

Post by One Big Wave » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:40 am

AquaRegia wrote:I don't see why not - most of them only like to play ranked games with other 1500+ players anyway. I'd think this would be a golden opportunity to play some perfect raw whore games. :wink:
SET's low seed weight and low raw scare me :shock:

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest

Post by Preacherman » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:52 am

AquaRegia wrote:with so many people making maps these days, maybe we don't really need a random generator any more.
I think that playing and winning on a randomly generated board is probably the ultimate Luxcomplishment. 40 countries is way too small though, you are right - we need closer to 100 and then you've got a game - everyone is in the same boat and forced to learn the board as they go, no tired old strategies or predictable results :twisted:

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:16 am

microtonal wrote:but aqua, you forget, we raw whores like to play on one or two maps that we know and love, and would probably be reluctant to stake our precious raw on a dance around one of those honey-combed boards that some of you other luxers seem to enjoy...
:smt044

I'm glad to see that some of the so-called "raw whores" have a sense of humor and can take (and make) a joke.

But seriously, Preach has said that he will take suggestions for map and settings - if you all vote for classic 4,6,8,10,15... why NOT rank it? I agree with him, though, that using a map that is unfamiliar to everyone would be a better test of pure skill. It will be interesting to see how it ends up working.

molideha

Post by molideha » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:26 am

SET's low seed weight and low raw scare me
lol...he is "set"ting up for the +300 win :bang:

∞ molideha hides behind PK and high fives sidhe ∞
I think that playing and winning on a randomly generated board is probably the ultimate Luxcomplishment. 40 countries is way too small though, you are right - we need closer to 100 and then you've got a game - everyone is in the same boat and forced to learn the board as they go, no tired old strategies or predictable results
what he said

M

microtonal
spaghetti lover

Post by microtonal » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:53 am

i like your idea, preach.

i wonder if someone could design a special-brand-new-just-for-this-luxtober ToC map by saturday...

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:18 pm

I heard a rumor last night about mbauer and el toro working on a rush map project. Could it be.....?

mbauer
Not A Truck

Post by mbauer » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:03 pm

AquaRegia wrote:I heard a rumor last night about mbauer and el toro working on a rush map project. Could it be.....?
no you didn't

AquaRegia
Lux Ambassador

Post by AquaRegia » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:40 pm

Oh.

OK.

My bad.

Geiler Hengst
Luxer

Post by Geiler Hengst » Wed Oct 26, 2005 6:52 pm

I know this is probably too late for this year but what to you think of an

TOurnament of "I play everyone" Champions

A tournament were the topseeded player are allowed to take part who really plays everyone and everything. Like people who are well seeded but having none or just a few (as sometimes you cant avoid it) nranked games and played many ranked 3 noobs & 2 bots games

i know this might be hard to figure out who those people might be but I think we should be able to find a way till next year.

Nothing against the top seeded I really gave up complaining about raw whores but if all of them are really the best lux players i really doubt (till many of them are deifintly still great players)

Any ideas about this??
Last edited by Geiler Hengst on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shock-n-ya'll
LUX POPA

Post by shock-n-ya'll » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:20 pm

:shock: hey preach those shrooms kinda resemble some I have found very near my house in a cow pasture that i visist every now and then :roll: :roll: :roll: :wink:

Geiler Hengst
Luxer

Post by Geiler Hengst » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:21 am

About my last idea, an idea to figure out who is allowed to play in the "I play everything " Championship is to allow the topseeded players with more than 10 +0 raw point wins in ranked games, this is normally the best measurement that someone plays everythign...
Last edited by Geiler Hengst on Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Preacherman
Semiholy Priest

Post by Preacherman » Sat Oct 29, 2005 5:56 am

Right, after tallying the overwhelming mass of suggestions here I can see that amazingly, it is a dead heat - every single map/card combo having received an absolutely mind-boggling 0 votes each.

I guess we're running Clazzzzzzzzic then...? :roll:

magpie
Goat Avenger
Location: Riding with the League of Extraordinary Anti Goatfecking Gentlemen ...

Post by magpie » Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:35 am

i thought we were playing huge, but lets see what happens when we all get there.

i dont mind having a change

:D